Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing stuck axle, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing stuck axle, suggestions?

Folks, I won't bore you with the long story but I'm almost through an LS/Vtec swap in an EF chassis. (a bit more wiring to do). I failed to remove the "knuckle ring" on the hub before installing my new axles. It created a huge bind the pretty much locked the hubs from turning. I thought it might be the axles so I went to remove them. I was able to free the drivers side and indeed the knuckle ring was jammed on the outside of the axle. I removed it. Next up was the passenger side, however I can't remove this axle. I've been able to wedge it out about 1/4" from the tranny case, but that's it. Now I can't budge it in or out.

I've tried a crow bar. I've wedged a chisel and banged away on it. It now seems frozen solid.

Any help or suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:48 AM

Default Re: Removing stuck axle, suggestions? (dkasakitis)

did you pull the suspension apart up there because if you dont the cv gets stuck on the shock fork that could hold you up
Old 02-10-2003, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Removing stuck axle, suggestions? (integra6650)

That's WHY I have this problem. I had loosened the ball joint and broke it free of the lower arm but didn't pop it apart prior to trying to wedge it free of the tranny. (I did the procedure correctly on the driver's side but I dunno, I guess I just forgot that I didn't disconnect the hub from the lower suspension arm when I moved over to the passenger side). The net effect is that I jammed the axle. Now that I've popped off the passenger side hub from lower suspension arm, I still can't move the axle in OR out.

Any suggestions are most welcome.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you most likely jammed teh the axle in the differetial...

which side is stuck?
Old 02-10-2003, 10:43 AM
Stroker

Default Re: Removing stuck axle, suggestions? (1320development)

Hit it with a hammer a couple of times, it should loosen it some. Make sure that you are getting both sides of the axel and not just one side that will bind it as well.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:40 PM

I think i know what your talking about,Im assuming that the inboard joint is stuck in the transmission. i had the same problem a few days ago when i was dropping my trany, I eventually got the axle out by twisting it not by trying to pry it out, turned out the circlip on the axle was somehow mangled and cought inside the differential. when they tell you to put new clips on dont skimp just go buy em. Hammers and transmissions dont generally mix either.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Removing stuck axle, suggestions? (jsplawn)

If it is stuck hub side I have a killer tool for it my dad made out of 1/2" plate, nothing stops it.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Removing stuck axle, suggestions? (beta13)

Thanks for the replies, fortunately, I was able to apparently pound the inner hub (next to tranny) back into position. I say apparently because there is still a small gap between the tranny face and the end of the CV hub, about 1/8". I disassembled the CV joint and removed all the guts. Then I used a 3/4" bolt with two nuts wedged on it and put that in the center of the hub and used a 4 lb mini-sledge hammer.

I'm afraid that's what happened. The circlip somehow got wedged funny, got caught and just prevented the hub from being removed. Since I needed only to remove the knuckle ring, what some folks call the spacer on the hub, I just pounded the circlip inner hub back home. Hopefully I won't toast a tranny because taking it out will probably still be a bear.

dave K.