Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this price for a B18C Type R 98 good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Is this price for a B18C Type R 98 good or bad?

I've been wanting to go all out with an engine swap for my 95 Civic DX Coupe, to where money is no concern. So if you have any information about the pricing of this engine, and anything else, like vtec/OBD2 engine to non-vtec/OBD1 car, engine/wiring harnesses, etc. This article seems extremely useful and am perusing it right now, but struggling to get my bearings reading it haha. Or if I was incorrect and that this engine wouldn't even fit into my car without some serious changes, and even if it did, what other, possibly better, options would I have if there was no limit in spending money. Feel free to just link me to articles I just need to read, rather than get annoyed by anything stupid I may have said, because I have the ability to read, I just may sometimes not find the exact ones I need for the information I want.

For those who may not be able to use the link, the engine is a "B18C 98+ TYPE R COMPLETE CHANGE OVER [ITEM NUMBER 30011]" and the things that come with it are
– Motor
– LSD Hydraulic Tranny (S80)
– ECU (P73)
– Axles with Half Shaft
– Shift Linkage
– Stock Motor Mounts
– Alternator
– Starter
– Clutch
– Flywheel
– Intake Manifold
– Exhaust Manifold
– Fuel Rail
– Injectors
– Distributor
– Engine Harness
– Comes With All Sensors Needed
The engine is being sold for $4,799, and states that mileage for it is anywhere from 30K-40K, and that the engine is compression tested and leak down tested prior to shipping.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is this price for a B18C Type R 98 good or bad?

$4800 is about going rate for a full type r change over. If you want to save some money and are in the USA buy the swap from an importer in Canada as the USA dollar is worth about 35% more currently.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any other engines that are around the same level of upgrade that are also good to think about? Or any that may be easier without loosing the massive increase in power, etc? I know Ks and Hs are good (I think), but don't know much about them.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Rywen
Any other engines that are around the same level of upgrade that are also good to think about? Or any that may be easier without loosing the massive increase in power, etc? I know Ks and Hs are good (I think), but don't know much about them.
Research more and you'll find a lot of information about B, K, and H. All have pros and cons.

HMO prices their products very fairly and are known to be a highly reputable and reliable source for engines. I would recommend them.

The B swap into your 95 DX would be the most direct, easy bolt-in solution. A K or H swap would cost more in the long run and require some minor modifications to the frame rail brackets. H series engines also have weaker transmissions with less-desireable gear ratios than B series, have a smaller aftermarket and support, weigh more than B and K, and require custom axles to really sit "right" in the bay.

If you're going "all out", I'd recommend either the B18C5 that you're currently looking at, or a K20/K24. If you're interested in K series engines go to K20a.org for more info.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright cool, thanks man. Sounds like I'll just stick with the B18C Type R, don't want to be doing any light body work or anything and looking for an easy engine swap worth the time haha.
Just to do a little lot more research on the whole OBD2 into OBD1 and whatnot. Though another question, what kind of things will I need to change to be able to use the much more powerful engine?
Will I need to get new axles and some other stuff?
Old 04-04-2017, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Rywen
Alright cool, thanks man. Sounds like I'll just stick with the B18C Type R, don't want to be doing any light body work or anything and looking for an easy engine swap worth the time haha.
Just to do a little lot more research on the whole OBD2 into OBD1 and whatnot. Though another question, what kind of things will I need to change to be able to use the much more powerful engine?
Will I need to get new axles and some other stuff?
They sell conversion harnesses for OBD2A/B wiring harnesses to OBD1 ECU. It depends on what ECU you end up running with the swap on what you may or may not need; I don't know what ECU the 95 DX came with but your best choice here (especially if you decide to do mods, so you could tune later) would be to run a chipped P28 ECU. I know some D16s came with that. The P73 ECU that comes with the C5 has a few of extra OBD2 sensors you'd have to deal with too.

For axles and such you have a lot of OEM options. If you're going to be launching the car often you may want to consider upgrading to Insane Shaft B swap axles, but otherwise OEM should be 100% fine.

Helpful links:

Eg With B series Swap How To - HondaCivicForum.com

Parts Needed for B series swap into EF/EG/EK. | ClubCivic.com - Your Online Civic Community (read some of the comments)

Complete 92-00 Civic Owners Engine Swapping Guide - Hondahookup.com

https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid...-swap-2976738/ (This is for a GSR/B18C1, but a lot of the info is the same).

Anyway, you get the idea. If you're looking for an easy, straightforward swap with some pretty rewarding results, I'd definitely stick with the B.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the links and help man, sorry I didn't reply sooner, and I'm afraid this will bump it now but I wanted to say thanks lol.
And yeah I'm definitely going to be launching the car quite often haha
What is a chipped ECU? I've been reading over this stuff (VTEC, OBD, ECU, wiring, etc.) for days and still don't understand much of it. I'm definitely not paying anyone to do this for me so I absolutely need to know what my stupid *** is doing. From what I can tell the 95 Civic DX has a P06, and what exactly do conversion harnesses look like and do?
More mods, like a turbo, etc are definitely something in the future, maybe far future, but still future.