Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBD1 / OBDII swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD1 / OBDII swap questions

Been out of the honda camp for a little while now since selling the EG...............alhtough I still have a semi build Z6 on my damn basement floor plus turbo ****!

Anyway if I buy and OBDII EK hatch and put an OBDII motor in it, but want to run OBD1 whats the deal?

I can use all the OBDII sensors and dizzy and get an OBD1 conversion harness? So I use the OBDII harness on the new engine right through to the interior passenger kick panel (the OBDII harness from the engine to the ecu is one peice right?) then use the OBD1 conversion harness so I can use the OBD1 ecu?

Is there know issues with this? Check engine lights etc? Are there any OBD1 sensors I need to use bla bla bla?

Feed back would be great.......................lets beat this topic to death some more! lol
Old 12-29-2003, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: OBD1 / OBDII swap questions (Hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I can use all the OBDII sensors and dizzy and get an OBD1 conversion harness?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I use the OBDII harness on the new engine right through to the interior passenger kick panel (the OBDII harness from the engine to the ecu is one peice right?)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, all 96-00 Civic's use a 1 piece engine harness.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">then use the OBD1 conversion harness so I can use the OBD1 ecu?

Is there know issues with this? Check engine lights etc? Are there any OBD1 sensors I need to use bla bla bla?</TD></TR></TABLE>

All you will need is an OBD2 to OBD1 adapter harness for (96-98 Civic's) or an OBD2B to OBD1 adapter harness for (99-00 Civic's). You will of course need to add the proper wiring for whatever ECU/motor setup you are using but other than that the swaps are pretty straight forward with minimal wiring changes.

Feed back would be great.......................lets beat this topic to death some more! lol[/QUOTE]
Old 12-30-2003, 10:53 PM

Default Re: OBD1 / OBDII swap questions (Hybrid)

but there might be some cold idling issues as obd2 ecu's solely depends on the iacv while obd1 ecu's utilizes the iacv in conjunction with the fast idle thermal valve found only on obd1 TB's.

so if you got a complete 96up motor hooked up to an obd1 ecu, there's no FITV.

i'm only saying this because i notice a lot of ppl who converted to obd1 alone or with hondata experienced the "hunting" revs. Just as myself
Old 12-31-2003, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: OBD1 / OBDII swap questions (kinvid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kinvid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but there might be some cold idling issues as obd2 ecu's solely depends on the iacv while obd1 ecu's utilizes the iacv in conjunction with the fast idle thermal valve found only on obd1 TB's.

so if you got a complete 96up motor hooked up to an obd1 ecu, there's no FITV.

i'm only saying this because i notice a lot of ppl who converted to obd1 alone or with hondata experienced the "hunting" revs. Just as myself </TD></TR></TABLE>

there's actually an easy fix for tb's with an FITV......bypass the coolant lines that run to the FITV altogether, either by rerouting the coolant lines or just blocking them off. If you live in a way cold climate area I don't suggest doing this tho.

Modified by Katman at 10:28 AM 12/31/2003
Old 12-31-2003, 05:30 AM

its funny that no matter how much these topics are covered, excellent / different points always seem to arise from further conversations.

Good points fellas.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:12 AM

Default Re: OBD1 / OBDII swap questions (Katman)

but is there an easy fix for TB's that doesn't has the FITV such found on obd2's.
You're running an obd1 ecu on a complete obd2 engine that doesn't have a FITV which are only on pre-96 engines.

Again, you're USING an obd1 ecu on a 0bd2 TB. But you don't have that FITV to work with, what to do now?
Old 01-10-2004, 12:55 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Katman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

there's actually an easy fix for tb's with an FITV......bypass the coolant lines that run to the FITV altogether, either by rerouting the coolant lines or just blocking them off. If you live in a way cold climate area I don't suggest doing this tho.

Modified by Katman at 10:28 AM 12/31/2003</TD></TR></TABLE>where would you reroute this to?
Old 01-10-2004, 11:45 AM

Default Re: OBD1 / OBDII swap questions (Unjockable)

if i put a FITV from a OBD1 car into a OBD2, would it work? where would i route the line?
Old 01-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD1 / OBDII swap questions (Unjockable)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unjockable &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where would you reroute this to?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, it would help if I had pics, but mainly, you just recirculate the coolant lines that run from the FITV to that coolant rail that runs behind the engine block. Or just block the FITV coolant lines completely. It's not that hard to figure out...
Old 01-13-2004, 11:16 AM

if the FITV is only used when it's cold, does this mean that the fluctuating idle probably wouldn't happen during a warm day?
so ppl in warmer climates may not even get the same problem?
Old 01-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD1 / OBDII swap questions (superboy)

well the fitv is designed to keep the tb plate from sticking in cold weather. Now if the person lives in a cold climate zone, where it snows especially, i wouldnt suggest rerouting or blocking off the coolant lines to the FITV. From my experience with this and living in a 'normal' climate zone, idling is really affected at all when rerouting/blocking off coolant flow to the FITV.