Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

OBD conversion. Please help!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD conversion. Please help!?!?!

HI i have a 96 civic with a 98 B18c1. Both being OBD2. I want to convert to OBD1 so i have less sensors ad vacuums to worry about in my engine bay. Plus it makes your engine bay so much cleaner. If i get a conversion harness and an OBD1 ecu, is it all just plug and play for my setup?? Do i need a new distributer or anything?? Also what ecu should i get. A p28 that is chipped or something. Or find like an OBD1 gsr or type r? Right now i am using my stock engine wiring harness. Could i just get an OBD1 harness from an OBD1 gsr?? Or would i need an OBD1 harness from a civic? If i got an OBD1 harness then would i need the conversion harness?? Thanks for your help.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OBD conversion. Please help!?!?! (stehigs321)

If you have an OBD2 motor.. stick with the OBD2 ECU... less headaches.. the only reason why you would want an obd1 ecu or harness is if you have an obd1 engine in an obd2 car.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OBD conversion. Please help!?!?! (redlinetuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redlinetuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you have an OBD2 motor.. stick with the OBD2 ECU... less headaches.. the only reason why you would want an obd1 ecu or harness is if you have an obd1 engine in an obd2 car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what are you talking about? OBD1 is so much better. It has way more tunability and eliminates a bunch of those annoying sensors including the secondary o2 so you can run no cat. OBD1 ecu's are also much easier to chip and you need an OBD1 ecu if you are going to run hondata. I myself have an obd1 conversion on my y8 and its great! I ordered a chipped p28 ecu with a few diffrerent chips from hyperducktuning and it runs really great. Plus I'm no longer getting that annoying cel from the secondary o2. All you will need is an obd1 ecu and an obd2a-obd1 conversion harness. Its all plug and play and only takes about a minute to hook up.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OBD conversion. Please help!?!?! (SOHC_MShue)

everyone's entitled to their own opinion.. I've heard a lot about each, both pro-s and con-s.. besides.. i did NOT say that OBD2 was better.. I just said it would be less headaches.. plus less money to spend.. I didn't say anything about tunability either.. I was just talking about ease of staying obd2 on an obd2 car with an obd2 engine. not trying to be a *****, just making my point.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD conversion. Please help!?!?! (redlinetuning)

why is obd2 less headaches? The only factor I can see is the cost, but I think in the long run its really worth it...depending on how much you plan on modding your motor, but why would it give you any headaches? It eliminates extra sensors that give you headaches in the first place with obd2.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:56 AM

Default Re: OBD conversion. Please help!?!?! (SOHC_MShue)

Yeah, I'm OBD2 right now, and I can't wait to be OBD1, cause I plan on cutting my cat, and can't do that with OBD2, plus the OBD2 doesn't like change, and limits the gains that can be received with modifications. But, yes it is plug, and play; I don't see any reason as to why you would need a new distributor; Don't run a type r chip p73? I believe, but the redline would be rediculous, plus it just isn't well suited for that engine, go with a chipped p28, Hondata s200 is really good, but I plan on going with the Skunk2 p28 chip, settings for vtec, and the redline, aren't too rediculous, unless you plan on completely building up your engine to handle the 9000 plus redlines, for an engine that was built to handle 8200 from the factory; Just get the conversion harness, because you never know, you may want to change back to OBD2, for some reason or another, plus, it just isn't worth the hassel of rewiring ****. Hope that helps somewhat.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD conversion. Please help!?!?! (Electron Si)

thanks so much. sounds like a good idea to move to OBD1. One reason i thought i liked it more was that a bunch of the wires dont get used for sensors anymore in the engine bay. Making the engine bay cleaner. But i guess OBD1 and OBD2 have just about the same sensors. Are there any sensors OBD2 has that OBD1 doesnt. That maybe could be removed if i went OBD1? Unless of course they are plugging a hole in the intake or something. I love when an engine looks like it has no wires. What would be an easy way to clean up all my wires and vacuum hoses? Does vacuum hose length effect performance? This way i could hide them out of the way. Thanks for the input on the ECVU stuff.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OBD conversion. Please help!?!?! (Electron Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Electron Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I'm OBD2 right now, and I can't wait to be OBD1, cause I plan on cutting my cat, and can't do that with OBD2, plus the OBD2 doesn't like change, and limits the gains that can be received with modifications. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hey man you don't need to wait until you are OBD1 to get a test pipe in place of your cat. I ran around forever with obd2 and a test pipe and it ran fine. My car threw a code, but it didn't make it run funny at all when the code was on. It would just give me the annoying cel light and i would usually resset it every couple of days. Its not going to hurt anything though.