Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

modifying a d16 harness for gsr swap...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modifying a d16 harness for gsr swap...

and i have a few questions...

i'm using the jdm gsr harness for parts and i used its fuel injector connectors. I noticed that the wires match the d16 ones by colour, but they're reversed. do they switch polarity in the connector or do i just ignore the colour coding and make sure they just line up, like i did.

I've got one extra connector on my modified d16 harness that has nowhere to plug into. It looks like it goes to some funny black plastic capped top vacuum tubed solenoid getup on the back of the civics intake mani. Do i just let that one dangle or what?

And now for the distributor. The gsr one has one connector i think and the civic has two or three. what's the deal with that one? surely there's some guide for swapping this plug in?

thanks,

d

Old 08-11-2003, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: modifying a d16 harness for gsr swap... (daver)

its hard to search for info on this stuff, all the posts are about the chassis side wiring
Old 08-11-2003, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres what you do. Tkae the distributor plug from the gsr harness and plug it into the gsr distributor. now just look at wich wire on the distributor side matches wich wire on the harness side. then cust the plugs from both the gsr harness and the d-series and solder in the wires. I did it with no helms or anything but unfortunately I never noted the wire colors. Since you have both engines and both harnesses you should be able to figure it out though just like I did.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: modifying a d16 harness for gsr swap... (monicle)

thanks for the response, i think i figured out what is going on here. The d16 harness has 3 connectors at the distributor end and the gsr has one. the gsr uses the one connector to combine two of the d16 connectors.

The extra d16 connector actually goes to the vtec solenoid. so the d16 vtec solenoid has two connectors and the gsr solenoid has one. I believe i have to switch solenoids to make the usdm ecu work anyway, so i should be all set.

How about that extra connector i mentioned at the back of the intake mani, what did you do there? Also, i'm sure that that reversal of colour coding on the fuel injector wires is harmless, and that i should just line them up and forget the colour, but still...

One further thing, how hard is it to remove the chassis wiring harness. I want to switch chassis harnesses with a '92 civic to mine ('94) to get the vtec wiring. Or is it easier to just add the wires? I guess i have to add the knock and IAB anyways.

thanks,

d
Old 08-12-2003, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are using a conversion harness to hook it onto the ecu then you can splice your needed wires into the conversion harness otherwise you will have to actually track down some ecu pins and pin tou ecu connectors with the new wires. (I used the conversion harness cause it was alot easier but looks a bit more messy, not to mention i couldnt find ecu pins.) The extra connector near the throttle body If im understanding you correctly origionally connected to a little canister attached near the fuel rail on your d-series engine. The new motor doesnt use this so you can either leave the connector just hang there or cut the wires and tape over the wires.