Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May have found my Idle issue on my B20 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May have found my Idle issue on my B20 Swap

I swapped in a B20 into my wife's EJ1 and one of the issues I have been trying to sort out is the idle. The car drives excellent but when I sit at a long light the idle bounces a bit then the car boggs until I can get it revved up. I have cleaned the IACV and tried a replacement one as well with no luck. I adjusted the fast idle valve with no luck. Changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor and inspected the coil and Ignitor and they look brand new. I did find that if I kept one of the vacuum lines either from the Canister or fuel pressure regulator off it would idle a bit high but I almost never have the problem. I also found that when everything is hooked up the car idles very low and will stall out at times. I tried blocking off the brake booster and well as any other vacuum lines without any success. I also tried a D series throttle body and had no luck as well.

The one thing that I needed was a new throttle body gasket, I tried one from a LS motor and it was too long for the ports on the manifold. I have been using the hack job that came with the motor since it seemed to be working and I was not sure which one to use. I finally ordered a new Skunk 2 thermal gasket and immediately I saw the problem. The throttle body and the Intake manifold are different shapes. Makes me want to kick the nimrod who originally had this motor, been cleaning up issues since I got it.

I believe this is a Basic LS manifold, looks like its been port matched at least a little.

I'm not positive what TB this is, i believe its 70mm and it may be from a GSR. Correct me if i am wrong. I added some RTV trying to make sure there were no leaks

Here is the hack job gasket that came with the motor, at least it fits. I don't think it seals well on the bottom creating my problem

Again i point to a possible GSR Throttle body.

I added block off plates the the TB and Manifold hoping to solve my idle issues.

As you can see in the pics the Throttle body expands past the Intake manifold at the bottom, most likely creating my issue. Excuse the RTV, i was hoping it would seal better and help with the issue, it did not.

I went ahead and ordered a Skunk 2 Alpha as a replacement part since it was not extremely expensive and with Amazon it will be at my door in 2 days with no shipping cost.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: May have found my Idle issue on my B20 Swap

Hey I bought a b20vtec jdm front integra and for almost a year it would stick at 1400-1800rpm or would hunt for idle up and down at lights. Embarrassing. So I was cleaning my skunk 2 throttle body and intake and noticed a screw was missing. So stupid how they use screws. There's a Allen key screw in the middle and two screws each side on the plate. I put my finger over the hole and bam idle let go and stuck at 1600. I had a oem b16 throttle body was gonna use the screw but there rivets. ....other note. Swapped motor to b18c5 and the screw let go sucked in on the highway was so lucky it clunked a valve for 2 seconds and stopped I made it home took the intake off and it was sitting right there edge of motor by the #1 cyl. Got another screw with lots of thred loc on there now red stuff. Probably not your problem but might help someone out.

Originally Posted by Scott Little
I swapped in a B20 into my wife's EJ1 and one of the issues I have been trying to sort out is the idle. The car drives excellent but when I sit at a long light the idle bounces a bit then the car boggs until I can get it revved up. I have cleaned the IACV and tried a replacement one as well with no luck. I adjusted the fast idle valve with no luck. Changed the plugs, wires, cap, rotor and inspected the coil and Ignitor and they look brand new. I did find that if I kept one of the vacuum lines either from the Canister or fuel pressure regulator off it would idle a bit high but I almost never have the problem. I also found that when everything is hooked up the car idles very low and will stall out at times. I tried blocking off the brake booster and well as any other vacuum lines without any success. I also tried a D series throttle body and had no luck as well.

The one thing that I needed was a new throttle body gasket, I tried one from a LS motor and it was too long for the ports on the manifold. I have been using the hack job that came with the motor since it seemed to be working and I was not sure which one to use. I finally ordered a new Skunk 2 thermal gasket and immediately I saw the problem. The throttle body and the Intake manifold are different shapes. Makes me want to kick the nimrod who originally had this motor, been cleaning up issues since I got it.

I believe this is a Basic LS manifold, looks like its been port matched at least a little.

I'm not positive what TB this is, i believe its 70mm and it may be from a GSR. Correct me if i am wrong. I added some RTV trying to make sure there were no leaks

Here is the hack job gasket that came with the motor, at least it fits. I don't think it seals well on the bottom creating my problem

Again i point to a possible GSR Throttle body.

I added block off plates the the TB and Manifold hoping to solve my idle issues.

As you can see in the pics the Throttle body expands past the Intake manifold at the bottom, most likely creating my issue. Excuse the RTV, i was hoping it would seal better and help with the issue, it did not.

I went ahead and ordered a Skunk 2 Alpha as a replacement part since it was not extremely expensive and with Amazon it will be at my door in 2 days with no shipping cost.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

buy some gasket material and cut your own gasket for the tb. i believe a h23 tb gasket will work as well. make sure im is not over ported causing a vacuum leak. from fitv or iac ports inside the tb
Old 10-29-2015, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Same problem with the Skunk 2 Throttle body. I have the matching thermal gasket so we are good there. I did notice a bit of a higher idle though. I swapped out the O2 sensor and so far so good. Ill report back once I know for sure.

FYI nothing fancy about the skunk 2, its just a replacement part and no fancy bells and whistles. Bolted up and smoothly, no issues.

Just a note, I also had low oil pressure at idle due to a dented oil pan/oil pickup. I replaced those today.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The skunk 2 raised my idle up quite a bit. I played with it a bit and found that if I used the new gasket that came with the throttle body along with the thermal gasket the idle was pretty much perfect. Maybe the thermal gasket was blocking the ports slightly, i'm not sure but it did improve after the additional gasket.

All is good happy in Honda Land today.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Scott Little

I have a B20z2 in my 91 Honda and I am having idling issues, someone pointed out to me today that the intake mani looks to be one off of an Integra, I am going to have to take a good look at the gasket and connection between my throttle body and intake mani now thanks to you. I hope that you might have helped me figure out my issue so Thank you sir.