Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS/vtec dowel pins don't fit....Am I missing something?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/vtec dowel pins don't fit....Am I missing something?

The dowel pin is obviously too big for the hole that needs to be drilled...anyone have this problem?

And this isn't stock dowel pins; these are like those GE dowel pins that are machined down on one half.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Trial User

Default Re: LS/vtec dowel pins don't fit....Am I missing something? (C-speed Racing)

wow guys, i want to buy a LSvtec conversion kit from you.....

just kidding, The good boys at C-speed are bar none the best tuners in the NW. Thanks again guys
Old 02-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/vtec dowel pins don't fit....Am I missing something? (Benjithx)

We have LS/vtec kits....I was trying a GE type dowel pin to see if we wanted to include them with the our kits and wouldn't you know....**** doesn't even fit...LOL...Thanks for the comp though.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/vtec dowel pins don't fit....Am I missing something? (C-speed Racing)

I believe the dowel fits in the normal dowel position in the head and the non-dowel position in the block(opposite side).The only problem I've heard of is the hole in the stock ls gasket needs to be enlarged for the dowel.The ge gasket for the conversion has this done.
Glenn
Old 02-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/vtec dowel pins don't fit....Am I missing something? (NJIN BUILDR)

Thanks for the response on this but I mean that the dowel pin is about .05 too large for that hole. Its not a big deal...Im going to hone the hole a little.
Thanks guys.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*waits for GE to chime in*
Old 02-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LsVtec92Hatch)

HHMMMmm...Hello to GE...where are you?
Old 02-20-2005, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (C-speed Racing)

im having the same problem as we speak... i got those GE pins, but off ebay and they dont fit the head... how frustating is that?!
Old 02-20-2005, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is surprising. Im shocked GE hasnt responded in this thread yet.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LsVtec92Hatch)

okay maybe i was wrong.... i was using the holes on the intake side. they do however fit the exhaust side (small end of dowels in the block) with some modifications to the head gasket. holes gotta be bored out a bit.
my bad
Old 02-20-2005, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ef9wpb)

Yea i had the same problem when it put my motor together. What sucks was that I had copper sprayed my headgasket and I had to clean it all of and enlarged the gasket. Wish I knew this ahead of time.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C-speed Racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HHMMMmm...Hello to GE...where are you? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll chime in for them since I just used some. I used a set of the GE dowel pins, not the full LSVTEC kit, just the dowel pins and they fit perfectly. Not sure if you guys got some generic knock-offs or just aren't doing something right. The dowels are to be used on the exhaust side, opposite of the stock dowel locations. If you use a stock LS headgasket, you must enlarge the dowel holes but GE does sell a headgasket that is CNC opened to the proper size.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VTECVillain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'll chime in for them since I just used some. I used a set of the GE dowel pins, not the full LSVTEC kit, just the dowel pins and they fit perfectly. Not sure if you guys got some generic knock-offs or just aren't doing something right. The dowels are to be used on the exhaust side, opposite of the stock dowel locations. If you use a stock LS headgasket, you must enlarge the dowel holes but GE does sell a headgasket that is CNC opened to the proper size.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont get what your saying. First you say that you used the pins and they fit pefect. Then in the end you say you have to enlarge the holes? All dowel pins sshould be machines the same. If they werent then they wouldnt keep the head aligned witht he block. I used a factory gasket from honda and the GE dowel pins and I had to enlarge it.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SlowReaction)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowReaction &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont get what your saying. First you say that you used the pins and they fit pefect. Then in the end you say you have to enlarge the holes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You just didn't understand what I was saying, maybe I wasn't clear. I said the dowel pins fit perfectly meaning to the head and block. When I said you had to enlarge the dowel holes, I was talking about the holes on a stock LS headgasket not the head or block.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you use a stock LS headgasket, you must enlarge the dowel holes but GE does sell a headgasket that is CNC opened to the proper size.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess I can quote myself...
Old 02-23-2005, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VTECVillain)

Thanks guys....I just honed the hole with some emery (sp) cloth and it fits now.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you're supposed to get the head machined. the dowl pins need to be moved to the rear. So, now the B16 head will have four pins instead of two. You are also supposed to plug a oil hole or else the head gasket will leak EVERY WHERE!!!

I've done 5 LS/Vtec setups and have no problems.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turboex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you're supposed to get the head machined. the dowl pins need to be moved to the rear. So, now the B16 head will have four pins instead of two. You are also supposed to plug a oil hole or else the head gasket will leak EVERY WHERE!!!

I've done 5 LS/Vtec setups and have no problems. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? this is my 3rd and I just saw my friend do one and all he used were these two "stepped" dowel pins....

The point of these pins is to NOT have to machine the head. I think these pins were just a little off, but they fit now.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turboex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you're supposed to get the head machined.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's only if you are using stock dowel pins, the stepped GE dowel pins as noted are designed to avoid machining the head. They are big on one end to fit the VTEC head and smaller on the other end to fit the LS block.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the dowl pins need to be moved to the rear. So, now the B16 head will have four pins instead of two.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There are 2 different methods for dowel pin locations (using stock dowels) when building an LSVTEC. You can put the dowels up front or in the back. The GE stepped dowels are made to go in the front (exhaust side). Having 4 dowels isn't necessary, it's more work that's not needed.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are also supposed to plug a oil hole or else the head gasket will leak EVERY WHERE!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very simple to do - get a 1/8th NPT plug and tap the hole, thread it in with some loctite and you're done.