Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS/VTEC (B18a/B16a) Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LS/VTEC (B18a/B16a) Questions.

Hey guys, I'm currently in the process of aquiring all my parts for my LS/VTEC and have read quite a few installs and such along with walktroughs and spec sheets. I'm wondering a few things.

So my set up as it stands right now is a
b18a Integra LS Motor
PR4 (LS) Rods
PR3 (B16a) Pistons
PR3 (b16a) Cams
PR3 (b16a JDM) ecu
B16a Head
Golden Eagle LS/VTEC Dowel Pins
Stealthmode Racing VTEC Oil Line
Brand New Stock Bearings
JE Performane Piston Rings
Brand New LS Headgasket

This is all going into a 1991 CRX Si that has a blown b16a (but the head is still good) with the following mods:
Hasport Motor Mounts
B16a tranny
Full CAI (I think it's AEM?)
2.5" 5Zigen Fireball Cat Back Exhaust
Gutted Cat
DC Sports Headers
MSD Ignition

Basically it's a stock LS/VTEC with a few add ons

So here's a few of my questions...
1) What's the deal with plugging the Vtec Oil passage on the head? Is this a must? What is the easiest/cheapest way to do this?
2)Do I have to relocate the knock sensor like I see people do when they use B17a heads?
3)What sort of rev-range am I going to want to limit myself too? I know the stock rev-limit on the PR3 is 8200?
4)Will the PR3 ECU Run the engine too lean? And if so, will a set of 345 CC Injectors work as a safe, temporary fix until I can get some fuel management (either GhettoDyne or Turbo Edit on my PM6) or chip my PR3?

Also I'm curious what sort of power people think I will put down with this set up and what sort of times I can be looking at (w/ and w/o slicks)?
Old 01-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Come on someone on this website has to know something about actual hybrid motors.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (jedubz)

read my signature
Old 01-25-2004, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Assuming I'm using the STOCK rod bolts (That is, not ARP ones, so don't hop on and tell me I should get them because I know I should)... What do your reccomend torquing them to. I was aiming at 27 ft/lbs
Old 01-25-2004, 09:56 AM

stick with the stock rev limit of the LS motor, otherwise you may have some serious issues down the road, upgrading the rods will allow you full use of the B16A head
Old 01-26-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Re: (Civic_EX_turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civic_EX_turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stick with the stock rev limit of the LS motor, otherwise you may have some serious issues down the road, upgrading the rods will allow you full use of the B16A head</TD></TR></TABLE>

dont listen to this asshat. just upgrade the LS rod bolts, and you will be fine. use ARP rod bolts.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDM Tsuchiya)

Right now I'm looking to get a set, my next three steps will be:

VAFC (Or GhettoDyne Chipped PM6 with an RPM Activated Switch for VTEC)
GSR Cams (Sitting on the floor of the garage)
ARP Rod bolts (Still looking for a good price).

Oh yeah, forgot to mention untuned the car made 161 whp and 129 ft/lb tq.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:44 PM

For the Vtec plug: The orginal vtec motors, have oil feeds thru their blocks to the head... where as, the Non-Vtec motors do not, if you look closely, and pay attentinon if you just set the head on the block, you will see where oil will leak all over your motor, you need to plug that with a 1/8 NPT plug, you can get the from Home-Depot, or if you have not yet bought a kit, go to SuprDave, from Whipfactory, it comes with a little plug for that, you have to tap the head though to thread it in, and make sure it's a 1/8 NPT tap. Or you could take it too a cylinder head shop, or machine shop, and have them weld it for you... it's like $20-$30.

As for the Knock Sensor: in my case I did not have to relocate it..... so as far as I know you do not have to...but you might want someone else to give you a for sure answer on that.

Rev-Limit: I would personaly stay around the LS rev limt... or maybe a little bit higher... but nothing major, like some said earlier, you can cause problems since that crank isn't meant for that. But I hear alot of people say you can, and it will be fine. But personally, I would stay LS limit.

ECU: you should be fine, im fine with my p30 ecu for now, it's a little lean... but not too lean, so it's perfect for me for now... injectors won't make too much of difference, unless you have some on-hand... 345cc is a little too much, and you'll then run rich. pending on your injector pulse of coarse.