Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legally swapping block's...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Legally swapping block's...

I want to sleeve my block but dont want the down time that it takes. So my plan is to get a bare b18c block and send it to GE, get it sleeved and install all of the new componenets onto it, and then just swap it out with my current block.

However, the issue (or maybe it isnt even an issue), is since the blocks hae VIN's and other numbers and all that other BS, how do you do this so as not to get screwed in the long run with the proper documentation if any is required?

Anyone ever get into **** with Uncle Sam or their insurance company because it was swapped out?

TIA
Old 11-20-2002, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Legally swapping block's... (integra-modder)

I own 3 cars with full motor swaps, none of which were "intended" to be put in the car. What Uncle Sam, my insurance company and anyone else doesn't know, won't hurt them. Seriously though, if you have a receipt and the motor is legit then there should be nothing for you to worry about.
Old 11-20-2002, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Legally swapping block's... (VTECVillain)

Yea, as long as the motor you're using is legit, then you should be fine. But if a police officer pulls you over and decides to run the VIN of the motor (highly unlikely), then you would be in deep doodoo if it comes up as a stolen motor.

Insurance doesn't need to know. The LESS they know, the better. Trust me. The ONLY situation I can think of that might complicate things is if you sell your old motor to a friend or so, then your car gets stolen...so now the insurance is going to report that your old motor/car is stolen, and your friend would have a "stolen" motor. But that's highly unlikely also.

Old 11-20-2002, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Legally swapping block's... (Prelude_RCR)

What might be a reason for a cop to pop your hood and run the block numbers? I have a coworker with a husband in the Santa Monica PD running a block number for me to see if its legit for a friend, and he says they can only really run it with really good probable cause...otherwise they get in trouble...jus wondering...
Old 11-20-2002, 11:19 AM

Default Re: Legally swapping block's... (RSZero1)

Insurance companies don't give a **** about swaps, they just dont cover the extra cost of the motor if you have to claim. I checked with a few, including Farm Bereau & Progressive.. Before getting a swap I did the research and they insure the car for what it is, not what you make it. Providing everything is legal and you have a cat.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Legally swapping block's... (97GSR Hatch)

wut if it's a JDM motor? how can they run the VIN? no possible way
Old 11-20-2002, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Legally swapping block's... (JDMEMM)

So after you do the swap, would your title remain the same, or would it be a rebuilt title?
Old 11-20-2002, 06:45 PM
New User

Does it stand to reason that if you don't notify your insurance company of the upgraded motor and such, then insurance really doesn't have to pay for the cost of the upgrades that you put into your car? If your car is worth more from upgrades then you probably should be paying a higher premium.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Legally swapping block's... (S&P500ITR)

well thats what im asking, how do i know that the block is legit, if buying from some one through HT or even parts trader etc...
without spending extra money on carfax and crap
Old 11-21-2002, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Legally swapping block's... (integra-modder)

I guess that's between you and the seller. Get everything in writing. And his address/phone number/etc. So if anything happens on your end, you can prove that you bought it from this guy so they'll be off your back. Like I said, there has to be a very solid reason why a cop would investigate more into your motor than necessary. Like for example, an unusually HIGH theft rate of your particular motor, etc.

Do your research. Don't buy from a shady person who has no references. You can even get a few guys on here to vouch for the buyer if you suspect anything.

Old 11-21-2002, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said, there has to be a very solid reason why a cop would investigate more into your motor than necessary. Like for example, an unusually HIGH theft rate of your particular motor, etc.
That covers every DOHC VTEC motor