Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

kAli sMog help.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2002, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kAli sMog help.....

i'm due for a smog in a few months and i live with kali's strict smog laws. i have a hybrid 2000 EK with a 5 series JDM B16a with CTR cams and ITR manifold, other than that pretty stock. Also i've put in all emissions hardware such as PCV, cat, & Evap, as well as conversion from OBD1 to OBD2. My question is will i pass smog when the time comes? I've read many of your posts on smog Qs, but its left me somewhat confident and fearful. Anyways any info or comments will be helpful, please post any tips if they're out there. Thanks
Old 05-27-2002, 10:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: kAli sMog help..... (xhatchracerx)

Did you even get it BAR certified, I mean was it added to your VIN number and did they give you a new sticker?
Old 05-27-2002, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: kAli sMog help..... (Sasebonian)

No i have not gotten it BAR certified, must i do that before i attempt the smog check? I've heard that some smog places dont even check VINs or what engine you have, just the visual and the sniff. This may sound stupid, but how might i be able to get it BAR certified? I know what the certification and sticker will do, but i have the slightest clue where to begin for BAR certification.
Old 05-27-2002, 12:37 PM
New User

Just call up a local smog station and ask them for the number to the nearest referee staion and then you will set up an appoinment with them. The test takes about an hour if everything goes well. HTH
Old 05-27-2002, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: kAli sMog help..... (94cxHybrid)

okay i am going to try and get my car BAR certified, but i'm still wondering if my current setup is legal to be smogable? Am i missing anything from what i've listed already?
Old 05-27-2002, 07:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Oh wait, you said JDM engine. If the guys lookup the numbers from the engine in their books, you may fail since it's not USDM.
Old 05-27-2002, 09:53 PM

Default Re: kAli sMog help..... (Sasebonian)

You could always run 3-cylinders if your having problems passing

Just take a spark plug out and unplug an injector lead... your set! 3-cylinders of FURY!
Old 05-27-2002, 10:11 PM

Default Re: kAli sMog help..... (JDM B Series)

if its a JDM motor, they will check the VIN #'s and they will dismiss you. I had a friend that had a JDM B18C in his h/b and he just borrowed one of my ECU's ( a stock P28 for a 94 SOHC civic si ) and he passed with flying colors.
Old 05-27-2002, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: kAli sMog help..... (Roger)

i like the idea of only running 3 cylinders, but will it hurt the engine any? Also running a stock ECU sounds good as well. Thanks for the info. I have a question, i heard that kali is now allowing JDM motors to be replacements? Is this true, and if so can anyone confirm this?
Old 05-27-2002, 10:53 PM

I've heard the same thing. And no, it won't damage the motor if you do it for a short period of time... its still being oiled and everything, just no combustion.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you said to unplug the injector lead.....did you mean injector head, meaning the one whole injector itself or just disconnect the plug on the injector? And could i just disconnect the spark plug wire instead of the plug itself?
Old 05-27-2002, 11:31 PM

By the injector lead, I mean the plug -- the actual wire signal. And yes you could just unplug the spark plug wire, but I thought they did visual inspections in Cali? I dont really know how it works down there.
Old 05-27-2002, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

By the injector lead, I mean the plug -- the actual wire signal. And yes you could just unplug the spark plug wire, but I thought they did visual inspections in Cali? I dont really know how it works down there.
yes there is visual. and for god sakes don't even think about getting a smog ref involved if you don't have to.

Also why would you think a smog station with ASE technicians wouldn't hear a rough idle and check for a dead cylinder? That alone is grounds for a fail.

the best bet is to find a station who is liberal with the visual (these shops charge 30 bucks for the smog on paper but expect a extra 40 bucks on the side), and pop in a single cam ecu and run lean for 5 minutes.

if you can't find one up north come down to LA and I'll introduce you to my smog guy.
Old 05-28-2002, 12:03 AM

Default Re: kAli sMog help..... (jdmjunkie)

Damn they sound harsh down there! Up here, you could be runnin' on one cylinder and they wouldn't give a damn. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2002, 08:49 AM
New User

You could always run 3-cylinders if your having problems passing

Just take a spark plug out and unplug an injector lead... your set! 3-cylinders of FURY!
You gotta be kidding me!!! ...that is horrible idea...if your goign to the somg refs they will know whats going on...they look at your car with a microscope over there...just cuz you got a JDM motor doesnt exactly mean an automatic fail...it is true that JDM motors are not suppose to be legal in CA...but SOME refs wont care if you have ALL smog equipment on...however u might wanna think about just getting the smog under the table at a regular station...refs will get yah on every little thing...let alone running on 3 cylinders...shiet i think they even opened my ecu to see if it was chipped they even jumped my ecu to see if i had any codes...make sure it is also the correct ecu for the motor...make sure ur timming and idle is ok...they look at every little thing..so if you want to your motor swap to be legit make sure EVERYTHING is cool...then cross your fingers...otherwise spend the 200-250 to do it under the table...once you go to the refs there is no going back...good luck
Old 05-28-2002, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: kAli sMog help..... (wuhungsixxx)

okay the ref thing is becoming disencouraging, but i've fixed everything. It took me a few months to fix the idle but its finally at a calm 800RPM. And also i've fixed every engine code that kept popping up, expect for running a little lean but thats nothing compared to the other codes. I am running the 99 SI ecu which is the correct ecu for the motor and if i have must i'll use my DX sohc non-vtec one. Only thing i'm worried about is the timing because i've got cams but have yet to tune them with cam gears for more power but they are set at stock. oh yeah what did you mean by once you go to the refs theres no going back?
Old 05-28-2002, 10:00 AM
New User

what motor are year motor are you running...cuz it better be the same year or newer than your car....when i said there is no going back...i mean you probably wont be able to go back and smog under the table...i would think the refs would "red flag" your butt by making your dmv crap come up as "test/ref only" if you go to a regular joe smog station...i had the "test/ref only" thing pop up to my dismay on the smog guys computer...went everywhere and they wouldnt smog me no matter how much money i had...they simply just cant do it...so i had to go to the smog station...they let me go on the JDM motor...but i failed on code 2(which i didnt know i was throwing cuz my engine check light wasnt on), my idle speed was ar 900rpm...timing was boarderline at 18.something...i had a adj. FPR...and he wanted documentation from the dealer stating that my ecu was for that motor...it was all BS...im still waiting for a ecu i just bought then im gonna bring it back...everyone cross your fingers...i personally would have done it under the table if i could....
Old 05-28-2002, 10:02 AM
New User

oh...but whats cool about the refs...they only charge $30...hehe
Old 05-28-2002, 07:22 PM
New User

wusungs1xxx,

did you ref yours OBD1 or OBD2? What year is your engine?
Old 05-28-2002, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: kAli sMog help..... (0gsR)

i have not gone to the ref yet, but i'm running OBD2 cuz i have a 2000. And my motor is a 94, but how can the ref tell if its a 94 or not?
Old 05-28-2002, 11:01 PM

Hey i have an awesome idea.. dont be an *** when you post! Sounds like a good idea to me.

Anyway, it works up here in WA, thats why I suggested it. I didnt realize they were so strict down in Cali... Hell I don't even know what a ref is. So anyway, stop being an ***. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:21 PM
New User

Default Re: kAli sMog help..... (0gsR)

wusungs1xxx,

did you ref yours OBD1 or OBD2? What year is your engine?

i just told them it was a 94 motor(which it is)...they know if its OBD1 or 2...they just ask for the year...
Old 05-29-2002, 12:50 PM
New User

i have not gone to the ref yet, but i'm running OBD2 cuz i have a 2000. And my motor is a 94, but how can the ref tell if its a 94 or not?
yikes...i think your going to have a problem...im not exactly sure how they can tell the year of the block or even if they can...but your head does have a stamp of the year it was made on it...u might wanna try to find a head from a 2000-2001 but thats kinda hard...i dunno man if you want it legit its gonna be difficult since your car is a 2k...90% of the refs out there are ****...but then thats their job eh...
Old 05-29-2002, 01:23 PM

anybody know of a hookup in the bay area?
Old 05-29-2002, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe that there should be a green VIN plate on the block. I think The 10th digit refers to the year.