Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got a remapped GSR computer for a temp, how will it work with LS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got a remapped GSR computer for a temp, how will it work with LS? can i just Uber it?

OLD OLD OLD OLD POST .. READ BOTTOM

the place i purchased my engine from didn't have a LS ECU for me so they gave me a Vtec D16 ecu, from what people are saying, it will make the 1.8 urn lean, so got a Remapped GSR computer for a temp instead.. i know it won't see all the Vtec stuff, will there be any other problems? he said it had a more agressive fuel map, Timing and no rev limiter, so i'm hunting for a tach now.. i needed one anywaz (crappy dx)

Modified by MusclecarGuyhasHonda at 4:31 AM 11/3/2004

Modified by MusclecarGuyhasHonda at 4:32 AM 11/3/2004
Old 09-16-2003, 03:24 PM

Default Re: just got a remapped GSR computer for a temp, how will it work with LS? (MusclecarGuyhasHonda)

oh yeah, both Engine and ECU are '95
Old 09-17-2003, 11:41 AM

?
Old 10-13-2003, 10:45 AM

Default Re: (MusclecarGuyhasHonda)

what differences are there with the GSR computer over the LS, other then the Vtec stuff?
Old 10-13-2003, 11:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: just got a remapped GSR computer for a temp, how will it work with LS? (MusclecarGuyhasHonda)

I say you'd be better off with a stock DX ECU and an AFC instead of a GS-R ECU.

The GS-R will throw numerous codes, such as VTEC oil pressure, VTEC solenoid, knock sensor, etc. which will all dump way too much fuel and kick the timing back, which will make your LS engine run like ****.

Try contacting Kenji Plennert. He rechips numerous Honda ECUs. His e-mail addy is kenji211@tampabay.rr.com - ask him if he can rechip a Dx ECU to run more like LS specs.

I'd sell that GS-R ECU and use that money for an AFC.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:30 PM

Default Re: just got a remapped GSR computer for a temp, how will it work with LS? (B18C5-EH2)

For the money you are spending on an AFC you could buy a chip burner, and coupled with UberData, you would have a tuning tool like 10X more powerful. Kenji would be fine for chipping ECUs, I have chipped P06s right here, and I'd consider cross shipping to you.

I'm gonna say no to the stock D16 ecu, it's fine for chipping, the GSR ecu also will not be running optimally.

-PHiZ
Old 10-16-2003, 09:34 AM

i am actually just borrowing this ECU until the place i got my engine from gets another LS for me.. so it isn't mine, but i have been thinking about getting a B16 head anywaz... (is 500 bucks a good deal for a B16 head with all valvetrain?)

but what would be the point if i can't rev past 7 on my bottom end? could i just drop the oil pan and replace the rods with aftermarkets and new bearings/bolts?

isn't that all that is different between the 2 engines? Head and rods?
Old 10-16-2003, 10:03 AM

Default Re: (MusclecarGuyhasHonda)

the reason you can't rev high on LS/VTEC is cause of sidewall loading due to the non-optimal rod/stroke ratio, not cause of weak rods.

-PHiZ
Old 11-03-2004, 03:30 AM

Default Re: (PHiZ)

so now i've had the engine in for a a year... still no LS ecu from the place i got it from.. screw em.. i'm just gunna go with uberdata.. it seems very similar to the autotap program for OBD2 GM cars.. (except you can't just shut the car off and flash it)

what i was wondering

are all of the 92-95 computer the same with the exception of the programming?? i have D15, D16 and the chipped gsr ecu thats in there now.. would it make a difference which one i used for programming? or could i just reprogram any of them for my needs?

reason i'm asking.. my plugs get black real fast so i'm sure its real rich.. and it doesn't seem to pull as hard as it should after 5k (i'm thinking when map goes into the vtec area its WAYYY to rich and costing me power) it would be nice to get this done right.. i'm going FI this winter since i got a new daily driver. so i'm going to need to use hondata or uber anywaz... and in my small area (120k population) the pathetic performance shops "now offer tuning" and i don't trust the monkeys there.. i'd rather break my car and learn then them break it and learn! i'm not going to break it tho.. uberdata seems pretty easy to use so i don't think it will be a problem...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Zach

PS... anyone wanna trade the d15 AND d16 ecu for 1 ecu that is Uber ready? (i can do it myself.. i'm just so lazy )
Old 11-05-2004, 12:18 AM

^