Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jdm motor to pass cali emissions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 01:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jdm motor to pass cali emissions

Ive been researching and looking to clear things up. In order for a jdm motor to pass smog in cali it has to have a usdm ecu, usdm smog equipment, has to be your year or newer motor, and if equiped with after market products it has to read the carb number that matches the motor's usdm counter part (h22a=h22a4 or b18c=b18c1).. correct? Anyone have a complete list of what has to be done to a jdm motor to pass smog? Any experiences with smogging a jdm motor in cali? Any help would be appreciated.. thanks in advance
Old 06-02-2003, 06:29 AM

Default Re: jdm motor to pass cali emissions (whoaitslen2)

basically to get a jdm motor to pass smog you have to conform your powertrain to the same year or newer usdm counterpart. Which means: If you have a b16 in your civic, integ, hatch etc. using the logic of the bar and your local ref. then the first year the b16 was introduced was the delsol. I forget waht the first year of the dohc vtec delsol was but lets say its m.y. 95. Then you have to convert your car to obd 1 status along with all the smog goodies of the delsol, plus the ecu. Sorry i suck at typing , but i hope this helped out.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:45 AM

Default Re: jdm motor to pass cali emissions (antone)

You should also keep in mind that not all referee's view the "guidelines" the same. The Referee near me (in Woodland Hills) has told me that he would NOT pass any non-USDM engine!

It is possible, it's just a matter of finding a Referee that is willing to work with you.

As a result; I'd recommend that you go in and talk to the Referee near you (driving your mom's car) to see if he views it as a problem. You may have to go to a Referee that is farther away. You should find out how he views it before bringing in your car and getting it entered into the computer system as having a problem.

Wes Vann
Old 06-02-2003, 10:05 AM

Default Re: jdm motor to pass cali emissions (Wes V)

what he says
Old 06-02-2003, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: jdm motor to pass cali emissions (antone)

whatever you do don't go the el camino college smog ref in Gardena. I know a h-t member who personal tried to get his jdm engine smog refed there(he failed there) and he hasn't seen one jdm engine passed there. He tells me the smog ref guy seems to be bias towards us honda guys. just my .02

for me I'm willing to drive over 100 miles just to go to a decent smog ref who isn't bias.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:15 PM
New User

Default Re: jdm motor to pass cali emissions (sleeperciv)

the smog ref in escondido california is pretty laid back. he passed me with no problems at all. he just asked what year the motor was. He didnt verify it through the VIn numbers on my block or anything. Basically he took my word for it. HTH
Old 06-03-2003, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm motor to pass cali emissions (94cxhybrid-T)

Hmm.. so basically it all depends on the ref you go to eh? I know I can get a jdm motor to pass smog, been done before, but always been worried about the visual. Oh well.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jdm motor to pass cali emissions

i smogged. b16a1

jus went to a local smog shop. no ref and hes all if it passes from the pipe i'll smog it. didnt care what it looked like. jus cared about the air. jus find a local shop like that.

cost me 49.99

wont say where. cuz it failed visual for sure. and dont wanna heat his spot.