Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can JDM motor pass smog legally

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can JDM motor pass smog legally

Was wondering if JDM motor can pass smog easily and legally. No backdoor payment for smogging. Thanks for all the help. I want legit smog and my CX hatch is waitin for b18c1 or b18c5 usdm for now until I can get good information on jdm motor passing smog. Cuz a few of my friend have jdm motor and neither passes smog so help me out here guys. USDM or JDM. It will be for daily driving realiable fast and legit. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can JDM motor pass smog legally (IgniteTeg)

not any more. Refs will no longer pass JDM motors even if it passes the emissions test. Stupid politics
Old 04-21-2003, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can JDM motor pass smog legally (ParrisEngDyn)

Damn that sucks. How bout swap legit usdm motors then? What do u guys do if you get pulled over by the cops with a legit swap motor? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:05 AM
Trial User

they will pass with correct emissions and papers.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:09 AM
hatchboy93

Default Re: Can JDM motor pass smog legally (purek9hybrid)

why do u say they wont pass emmissions ??? i have a jdm type r motor and im in ga and i just go to the emisions place and it passes. as long as u have all the smog equipment connected adn al the usdm sensors wired up along wiht w good CAT then u should pass no problem. the motors are the same inside as the us motors.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can JDM motor pass smog legally (hatchboy93)

In CA you gotta pass the visual test too. I live in Orange County and have called a ref station asking them the same question, to my surprise the guy said yes it can. You have to have a reciept for the engine, and hook up all the USDM spec emission hardware. U could just put a USDM intake manifold on the JDM motor and hook up all the vacume lines. In Japan they only test for 2 polutants (O2, and CO i think) In the Us they test for all four.I would recomend slightly retarding the ignition and buying a new Catalytic converter.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can JDM motor pass smog legally (The B Man)

Cool thanks. So are you basically saying that if I drop a JDM motor in my watch. I have to used all USDM parts? Such as Intake & Exhaust manifold. What about the Jdm exhaust manifold that came stock with it? Is that cool or I need to swap it out for usdm exhaust manifold? Well, basically do I need to swap all the jdm parts that came stock with the jdm motor to usdm parts? So all I need is my receipt of my legit motor and I just show the state ref and he will actually run the smog test? How bout dealing with cops? Is there something that you can actually registered your new swap motor?? And they give you a sticker with the vin# and stuff and says what year the motor is and how much Liter etc? And when u get pull over by a cop you just show them that sticker at the door? Thanks.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont' know, I live in Michigan there's no emmisions testing HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-21-2003, 02:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The B Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I live in Orange County and have called a ref station asking them the same question, to my surprise the guy said yes it can. </TD></TR></TABLE>
which ref station did you call? if there is a ref station in the state of ca that will give a bar sticker to a jdm swap i'll be there. thanks
Old 04-21-2003, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Can JDM motor pass smog legally (Hriday)

there's a couple of guys here that have jdm motors and they passed smog legally. I met a guy not long ago at the honda-tech meet. He had a jdm b16 and he passed with BAR sticker too. I highly recommend you do a search. there alot of info on this subject. look for Spade aka d series dipstick he's got a link that proves you can have a jdm engine smog legal.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IgniteTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cool thanks. So are you basically saying that if I drop a JDM motor in my watch. I have to used all USDM parts? Such as Intake & Exhaust manifold. What about the Jdm exhaust manifold that came stock with it? Is that cool or I need to swap it out for usdm exhaust manifold? Well, basically do I need to swap all the jdm parts that came stock with the jdm motor to usdm parts? So all I need is my receipt of my legit motor and I just show the state ref and he will actually run the smog test? How bout dealing with cops? Is there something that you can actually registered your new swap motor?? And they give you a sticker with the vin# and stuff and says what year the motor is and how much Liter etc? And when u get pull over by a cop you just show them that sticker at the door? Thanks. </TD></TR></TABLE>

here's basically what you need:

usdm ecu, exhaust manifold, usdm stock air box or the carb legal cai made for that engine, good evap charcoal canister, usdm wiring harness, all the vacuum lines intact, o2 sensor, good pcv, good cat converter,.....that's all I can think of right now.

yeah they give you a Bureau of Auto Repair(BAR) sticker that states your engine conforms to the state of california emissions. also it'll state the 1.8 liter and/or DOHC on it will the vehicle VIN # which you attach to the driver side door jam.

last, don't think the smog ref won't know the difference between a jdm and usdm exhaust manifold because they have pictures for EVERYTHING!!!

Modified by sleeperciv at 4:26 PM 4/21/2003
Old 04-21-2003, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can JDM motor pass smog legally (Hriday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hriday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont' know, I live in Michigan there's no emmisions testing HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

better knock on wood. new yorkers use to be like that now they go on the dyno too.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Can JDM motor pass smog legally (sleeperciv)

I have a JDM 99 Type R in my cx hatch and it's smog legal. I live in Silicon Valley too.

All you have to do is get a legit USDM 1.8L integra BAR stickered and then swap it out with the JDM motor you want.

I have already went to a random Arco smog station when they question me about the motor, I just have them scan the BAR sticker and they continue their testing.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can JDM motor pass smog legally (bluesaint)

Damn lucky *** Michigan!!!!!! Damn so is it better and worth it to do the jdm swap over the usdm swap? I don't thikn its that big of a difference. Is it well worth the money and you have to change all that jdm parts to usdm parts omg that going to cost some more extra dough Thanks for all the help.

Quote: All you have to do is get a legit USDM 1.8L integra BAR stickered and then swap it out with the JDM motor you want.

Bluesaint how can you do this if their going to be different vin # because on the bar sticker it does state that motor vin #. Then how are you going to be getting a jdm motor with that same vin# on that usdm 1.8l integra bar sticker that doesn't match your jdm vin# to be legally? Confused....
Old 04-22-2003, 09:00 AM

They dont' check motor # nor do they put the motor # on the BAR sticker. Your VIN stays the same from beginning to the end.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:00 AM
New User

Default Re: Can JDM motor pass smog legally (ParrisEngDyn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ParrisEngDyn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not any more. Refs will no longer pass JDM motors even if it passes the emissions test. Stupid politics</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not true, but it all depends on where you live, depends on the smog station, the ref, and how he's feeling that day (like a judge for a traffic ticket). I know of 2 people who got their JDM B16A1 swaps smogged in Sacramento, CA, in their CRXs, both didn't have any problems and both went to different places. I've seen others with JDM motors get denied, even though their setup was clean and ran good. All depends on the station, the ref, and how he's feeling that day and if he's in a good mood to pass your car, or if he's pissed at the world and doesn't want to do your car because of the JDM motor.

Old 04-22-2003, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can JDM motor pass smog legally (Newman)

Thanks. Yah thats true bout the state ref mood. Their just like pigs!! Thanks for all the help guys one more question. Is it worth it to get jdm motor instead of usdm? Because you have to swap jdm parts for usdm parts and that cost more money so is it really worth it doin that and gettin a few more extra horses? or just go with a usdm swap? Theres almost really no point if you have to swap out the jdm parts for usdm parts. Thanks for the info and help.
Old 04-22-2003, 11:28 PM

if you get jdm, minds well get 98+ spec Type R. big difference compared to usdm type R
Old 04-23-2003, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, is it worth that extra horses doing a jdm swap instead of a usdm swap???
Old 04-23-2003, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe not as much horsepower as mileage. You might have a hard time finding a low mileage USDM motor. JDM are usually cleaner too.
Old 04-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah but jdm has lots of working to do to be legally for the bar sticker
Old 04-23-2003, 07:12 PM

just buy a cheap 1.8L Integra LS swap. put that in and get yourself a State REF sticker first.. Once you have it, swap in whatever JDM you want and you don't need all smog equipments. I used a GSR USDM B18C1 with AEM cai, dc header, Toda A's, DC exhaust and passed state ref and recieved my BAR sticker.

Then 1 week later i put in a JDM 00 B18C Type R.

2 months after, I went to local ARCO gas station for a smog check and just had them scan my BAR sticker and then did a sniff test.

Old 04-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bluesaint &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just buy a cheap 1.8L Integra LS swap. put that in and get yourself a State REF sticker first.. Once you have it, swap in whatever JDM you want and you don't need all smog equipments. I used a GSR USDM B18C1 with AEM cai, dc header, Toda A's, DC exhaust and passed state ref and recieved my BAR sticker.

Then 1 week later i put in a JDM 00 B18C Type R.

2 months after, I went to local ARCO gas station for a smog check and just had them scan my BAR sticker and then did a sniff test.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

that would be cool but there's one small thing you left out........MONEY!!!!

alot of people here on this site barely have money for a basic swap and you're asking them to swap TWO engines? good idea but bad intentions.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Can JDM motor pass smog legally (sleeperciv)

It's an option, didn't say it was the only way. It's the way I choose to go. Since I sold the GSR swap the same price I got it for, so didn't really cost anything.

If you want to get a BAR sticker for a JDM motor, it comes with a certain price association that comes with it.

Old 04-23-2003, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hahah thanks this is really a cool way to do it but need mad $$$$$ But ain't a bad idea if you got extra $$$$$$ in yo pockets hehe. Thanks man. Great idea.