Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HONTEC RS EVO.........

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: HONTEC RS EVO.........

Looking good Randall!

I wanted to use just plane air rams, but this takes the cake!

Looking at the engine mock-up, is there still room to run the alternator belt? Cutting away any more of the chassis will mean you'll need to cut into the beam, thus removing more if the chassis integrity. just wondering
Old 03-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dutchaccord
Looking good Randall!

I wanted to use just plane air rams, but this takes the cake!

Looking at the engine mock-up, is there still room to run the alternator belt? Cutting away any more of the chassis will mean you'll need to cut into the beam, thus removing more if the chassis integrity. just wondering

I will need to cut that for the belt and dry sump drive, however when the full cage is installed I'm not worried at all about chassis integrity. According to the latest dry-fit session, I need to cut just until the lower beams and not in them. we'll see later on when I'm going to fit her again for construction of the motormounts.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those air jacks will come very handy! I like it.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice job with the air jacks...
Old 03-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where did you get the air jacks from if you don't mind me asking. I've always thought cars looked so badass being raised and lowered off the air jacks! I'd love to add them to my Teg one day.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any updates?
Old 03-26-2009, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by old no.7
Where did you get the air jacks from if you don't mind me asking. I've always thought cars looked so badass being raised and lowered off the air jacks! I'd love to add them to my Teg one day.
You'll have to call a serious race shop for those things, not many people sell them. Any AP dealer can supply them for you, I have AST airjacks, which is a company that makes one of the best racing shocks in the world along with Proflex and Intrax.

Have been thinking more than building the last few weeks, also been rather busy on the K20 EK with the sadev sequential 6-speed which takes up a fair amount of time as well.

Have to make up my mind now on what direction to go with the DC2; my mind is swinging towards building a main roll bar hoop with a sectioned wall and lexan window (like a delsol) and no cage in the centre cabin of the car and put in a normal dc2 rhd interior and then make the car look clean and if intended like that by honda. For instance like a ferrari; you get in and it's super nice, no fancy ****, but if you pop the trunk and hood, it's ****....

Or go full cage , full race..........

my mind hasn't been made up yet.....
Old 03-26-2009, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would do that ferrari idea you had in mind. That would be pure ****!
Old 03-27-2009, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4DRmafia
I would do that ferrari idea you had in mind. That would be pure ****!
I'm seroiusly leaning way in that direction........it's different and the car can be used on the circuit and on the street. dash we be a gutted shell with separate heater unit like in the EK and the seats will also be lightweight and buckets anyhow.. I do'nt believe that door panels and a carpet will kill performance weight wise...
Old 03-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread alone keeps me coming back to Honda-Tech.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Amazing. The effort alone to take on a project like this says alot about you. Good Luck.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ferrari style ftw

do it up like the new zr1 so the hatch/hood has a smoked lexan window that you can see the engine through :tup:
Old 04-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice project. Your fab work appears to be of very high quality.

One thing I should bring up, all the area you reinforced is not under load. The area beyond the shock towers and axle centerline will not see any torque. You basically added 50lbs of weight for no other reason than bling. The transmission can hang by a very simple rear mount. All that mount has to do is feed a small torque load back into the front of the chassis.

Another issue is you killed the crumple zone. in the back of the car. If you ever back the car into the wall, the force of the impact will be transmitted through the tubing into the chassis and then directly into the driver. It will only get worse if you tie the front of the car together with a proper roll structure. The force fed into the driver could be enough to easily kill you. I hate to **** on your parade but I would rather your car be a complete write off than see you killed by the instantaneous acceleration of a crash with a very solid barrier or another vehicle.

I would cut all of the super structure you put behind the shock towers out and re-think the way you are feeding loads into your chassis. Look at other cars that have a similar engine lay out. Notice there isn't much material or structure behind the axle centerline. Look at a Prototype or open wheel car. The transmission is the structure. Now you can't do that because the transmission isn't meant to handle loads like that but you get the concept.

I love to see people step outside the box and build innovative projects, but I also hate to see ham fisted engineering that can get people hurt also. Good luck with the project and I can't wait to see it hit the track.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice progress. You do great work and can't wait to se a vid of the finished product in action
Old 04-04-2009, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 914Racer
Very nice project. Your fab work appears to be of very high quality.

One thing I should bring up, all the area you reinforced is not under load. The area beyond the shock towers and axle centerline will not see any torque. You basically added 50lbs of weight for no other reason than bling. The transmission can hang by a very simple rear mount. All that mount has to do is feed a small torque load back into the front of the chassis.

Another issue is you killed the crumple zone. in the back of the car. If you ever back the car into the wall, the force of the impact will be transmitted through the tubing into the chassis and then directly into the driver. It will only get worse if you tie the front of the car together with a proper roll structure. The force fed into the driver could be enough to easily kill you. I hate to **** on your parade but I would rather your car be a complete write off than see you killed by the instantaneous acceleration of a crash with a very solid barrier or another vehicle.

I would cut all of the super structure you put behind the shock towers out and re-think the way you are feeding loads into your chassis. Look at other cars that have a similar engine lay out. Notice there isn't much material or structure behind the axle centerline. Look at a Prototype or open wheel car. The transmission is the structure. Now you can't do that because the transmission isn't meant to handle loads like that but you get the concept.

I love to see people step outside the box and build innovative projects, but I also hate to see ham fisted engineering that can get people hurt also. Good luck with the project and I can't wait to see it hit the track.

I see your point and judging from your reaction you have some experience in this. First of all you will then know that any car with an extensive rollcage has little survival chance upon impact since the rollcage will transmit the impact force throughout the whole car and not just the point of impact. Secondly this project is a test to see if it will work with the components in mind and setup planned, i know that many of the tubing behind the engine has no function but bare in mind that I'm going to have to cut the main rear beams to make way for the axle, therefore part of the non-functional rear construction becomes functional then, the setup is not done yet, not even close.
Also people should know that driving a car with an extensive rollcage will require the use of good bucketseats and minimum of a 4 point harness to be able to cope with the force of impact in such an unfortunate event.Like you said, the force of impact will not be absorbed by the car but by your seat/harness. We have been building many a race /rally/ dakar rally raid car and have also seen many crashes. You are right about the crumple zone but i am convinced that in an impact of major force the car will have to be built with a new shell anyhow....
Old 04-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In most cases of circuit racing the most common impact we see is the T-bone. In these cases there is very little we can do to minimize the impact, but on the front and rear there is more than half meter of crushable area. If the cage stops at the rear axle centerline and in the case of the front end the front shock towers. This allows the car to collapse slightly before the major force of the impact is transferred into the main cage structure/driver. This is one reason why I don't like SCCA's requirement that aluminum seats have a brace at shoulder level. The forces the drivers seat to move at the same speed as the cage, as opposed to the FIA seats which are free standing and can move separate of the cage.

I realize you are going to have to remove the "frame rails", but at that point the sheet metal will still support itself with very little reinforcement, especially if you are running many glass or carbon fibre parts. But in a minor impact you may be able to save the car if the rear pan and quarters crumple and that load stops at the shock towers. As is now all that load will be transferred directly into the cage and that minor impact could destroy the chassis also.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 914Racer
In most cases of circuit racing the most common impact we see is the T-bone. In these cases there is very little we can do to minimize the impact, but on the front and rear there is more than half meter of crushable area. If the cage stops at the rear axle centerline and in the case of the front end the front shock towers. This allows the car to collapse slightly before the major force of the impact is transferred into the main cage structure/driver. This is one reason why I don't like SCCA's requirement that aluminum seats have a brace at shoulder level. The forces the drivers seat to move at the same speed as the cage, as opposed to the FIA seats which are free standing and can move separate of the cage.

I realize you are going to have to remove the "frame rails", but at that point the sheet metal will still support itself with very little reinforcement, especially if you are running many glass or carbon fibre parts. But in a minor impact you may be able to save the car if the rear pan and quarters crumple and that load stops at the shock towers. As is now all that load will be transferred directly into the cage and that minor impact could destroy the chassis also.

I understand your concerns, but like I said before, this is a test chassis to see how this car will handle in a mid-engined setup. The weight of the few extra tubes is negligable and the issue of damage to the car is of no concern. (a new chassis is a few hundred bucks) Rigidity is what I'm after initially since we will have 400hp generated from an area of the car that was not built for it, curious how this will handle is the reason for overconstruction tubing wise. If you look at box framed cars like for instance the ultima GTR, you have solid frame rigidity from bumper to bumper....

again the chassis will have full cobra technology side mount bucket seats and 6 point harnesses to protect the driver in case of impact.
I am not worried about the chassis, if I write it off so be it......just as long as it has generated knowledge for this type of setup in a car that was not constructed for it.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this thread is failing to deliver
Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BakedCookies
this thread is failing to deliver
uh... yeah ok

let us know next time you do something like this
Old 04-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Last time I checked I do have a wife ,a dayjob and a fully circuit prepared sequential 6 speed K20 EK to finish on time for paint....... my days need 32 hours instead of 24......
Old 04-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

awsome!!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by stmotorsports
uh... yeah ok

let us know next time you do something like this
not at all what i meant, jackhole. I love this thread, just missing the updates.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by solsurvivor
Last time I checked I do have a wife ,a dayjob and a fully circuit prepared sequential 6 speed K20 EK to finish on time for paint....... my days need 32 hours instead of 24......
Sorry man, wasn't trying to insult you, just wishing for some updates. This thread is the only reason I still come to Honda-Tech. Well this thread and the Welding/Fab section.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BakedCookies
Sorry man, wasn't trying to insult you, just wishing for some updates. This thread is the only reason I still come to Honda-Tech. Well this thread and the Welding/Fab section.
don't worry, I understand, just that I'm so incredibly busy at the moment I find myself out of time to do something to the dc2..
Old 04-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

are there pics or a thread on the EK?

Quick Reply: HONTEC RS EVO.........