Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H22A Axles Problem! 92-95 Civic EG Hybrid H22A

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22A Axles Problem! 92-95 Civic EG Hybrid H22A

PROBLEM
I did a search, and I couldn't find the answer.
This is for an H22A in a 92-95 Honda Civic. I recently changed from a M2A4 Transmission w/ Quaife (it started to grind) to a OEM LSD M2B4 Transmission. Now I'm getting clicking when I turn left and some vibrations on the freeway when it gets bumpy. Does this mean one of my axles is too long?

EDIT #1:
Switched from 90-93 Integra Axle w/ Prelude Inner to 88-89 Integra Passenger Side Axle and expanded the snap ring. It took away the clicking problem, but the vibrations still existed on bumps, and when making left bank turns (like on a freeway onramp).

EDIT #2:
Switched to a custom made axle, 1/2" shorter than 88-89 Integra Axle w/ Prelude Inner Joint. PROBLEM SOLVED.

CONCLUSION
The OEM LSD Transmission is shimmed wider than the non-LSD. You need a shorter passenger side axle. Seems like most people say that an 88-89 Integra Axle should be short enough, but for me, it was not. I tried another 1/2" shorter, and it worked.

Modified by cpforyou at 8:42 AM 6/12/2004
Old 05-14-2004, 11:37 PM

i think it needs to move more then 1mm...sounds like axle binding there..
Old 05-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (slowdelsol)

that connection should move about a 1mm you are actually moving the clip that holds the two pieces together

your cvs are the joints you want to move not your splines
Old 05-15-2004, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbogixxer)

its the passenger side shaft that is binding, the M2B4 tranny is shimmed differently
Old 05-15-2004, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmcivicferio)

if you are using a 90-93 integra passenger side shaft you need to use a prelude inner and 89 integra outer.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmcivicferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you are using a 90-93 integra passenger side shaft you need to use a prelude inner and 89 integra outer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm confused about this then. If it's the passenger side, why does it seem to click on the driver's side when I'm making a left.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmcivicferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its the passenger side shaft that is binding, the M2B4 tranny is shimmed differently</TD></TR></TABLE>
I talked to driveshaft shop, and Hasports. They say that is a "load of crap". Sorry but thats what they said. Anyways my problem was that they sent me the wrong axles.
Old 05-16-2004, 05:32 AM

Default Re: H22A Axles Problem! 92-95 Civic EG Hybrid H22A (cpforyou)

your axles could definately very well be binding. The problem is if the thing is clicking then the CV joints themselves are worn. Now as far as the binding goes they should have more than 1MM of play (I would think). U are taking off the 32MM CV nuts right? If u are not, them remove the CV nuts, put the rims back on and set the car back down on the tires. Check for play. Mine are about half and inch or so. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:27 AM
New User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (cpforyou)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cpforyou &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm confused about this then. If it's the passenger side, why does it seem to click on the driver's side when I'm making a left. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Clicking/binding on left turns = your passenger side axle
Clicking/binding on right turns = your driver side axle

With a LSD transmission, the diff is wider, thus you need a shorter axle on the passenger side. Use the 89 Integra axle with a Prelude inner joint. You can use the Integra inner joint but it'll slide out unless you expand the snap ring. Otherwise, use the Accord or Prelude inner joint since the snap ring goes in deeper (and snaps into place on the transmission) and the cup is deeper which will allow for more play & movement with the shaft itself.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:52 PM

Default Re: (Newman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Newman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Clicking/binding on left turns = your passenger side axle
Clicking/binding on right turns = your driver side axle

With a LSD transmission, the diff is wider, thus you need a shorter axle on the passenger side. Use the 89 Integra axle with a Prelude inner joint. You can use the Integra inner joint but it'll slide out unless you expand the snap ring. Otherwise, use the Accord or Prelude inner joint since the snap ring goes in deeper (and snaps into place on the transmission) and the cup is deeper which will allow for more play & movement with the shaft itself.</TD></TR></TABLE>

UPDATE:
I went ahead and put in a '89 Integra Axle. I expanded the snap ring, and used a rubber mallet to snap the inner joint into the transmission. So I backed my car out of the driveway, and when I made my first LEFT turn, finally it's fixed. I don't hear any clicking at all. Hopefully, that Integra Inner Joint won't pop out of the transmission.

I still have my old 90-93 Integra Axle w/ Prelude Inner Joint. Not sure what to do with it. Newman, you think maybe you can use the inner joint and build me a 89 Integra Axle w/ my inner joint?

Old 05-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure that clip is fully snapped into place all the way. I already had mine spit out the tranny (passnger side). I always seat my in now with a brass mallet.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:20 AM

Default Re: (93Civic_hb)

POST HIGH_JACKER...

OK, i think my issue may be the opposite. I have the 90-93 axle on the driver and i'm getting a serious vibration at rev points. No bindings/no clicking. Just vibrations. The entire motor is moving when the car goes into gear (jacks up car and put into gear-motor moves..back and forth).

The motor mounts are tight as can be..there is no vibrations in the passenger side axle, and my setup is as follows.

90-93 acura integ axles on both sides..with accord inner. any ideas
Old 05-24-2004, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (92hybridAccord)

i did an h22 swap with factory LSD in a DelSol. we tried the 88teg passeger axle but still binds, so we went ahead and ordered 5mm shorter axles from Gator axles. i'll let you guys with LSD out there know how the 5mm shorter worked as soon as they come in
Old 06-02-2004, 08:22 PM

Default Re: (92hybridAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92hybridAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">POST HIGH_JACKER...

OK, i think my issue may be the opposite. I have the 90-93 axle on the driver and i'm getting a serious vibration at rev points. No bindings/no clicking. Just vibrations. The entire motor is moving when the car goes into gear (jacks up car and put into gear-motor moves..back and forth).

The motor mounts are tight as can be..there is no vibrations in the passenger side axle, and my setup is as follows.

90-93 acura integ axles on both sides..with accord inner. any ideas</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, I thought my problem was fixed. My clicking is fixed. I still have some vibrations when I make left bank turns (like on the onramp of a freeway), or when I hit a bump I feel vibrations on my left (driver's) side.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:39 PM

I did a h22a4 swap into my ek9 civic, ive had these problems also when im turning eighter way I have a clicking noise. Plus when pressing the gas pedal I seem to hear that clicking or knocking noise also? The axcels IM using are from driveshaft. I dont know what to do? maybe i have to lift my car higher rather then being slammed for the axcels have to be straightened out? for it to run smoother?

I need help?..
Old 06-05-2004, 09:25 AM

Default Re: (i_eat_ROCKS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i_eat_ROCKS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did a h22a4 swap into my ek9 civic, ive had these problems also when im turning eighter way I have a clicking noise. Plus when pressing the gas pedal I seem to hear that clicking or knocking noise also? The axcels IM using are from driveshaft. I dont know what to do? maybe i have to lift my car higher rather then being slammed for the axcels have to be straightened out? for it to run smoother?

I need help?.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you have a OEM LSD Transmission?
Old 06-05-2004, 11:45 AM

yeah its the OEM LSD tranny
Old 06-06-2004, 08:34 PM

Default Re: (i_eat_ROCKS)

So far, I replaced the passenger's side with a shorter axle as Newman recommended, and it solved my clicking problem. I still have a weird vibration problem. Going to driver's side to a little shorter as well. soon.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:03 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cpforyou &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So far, I replaced the passenger's side with a shorter axle as Newman recommended, and it solved my clicking problem. I still have a weird vibration problem. Going to driver's side to a little shorter as well. soon.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the same problem. Okay I went to a slightly shorter driver side axle, and it still makes a weird vibration felt on the driver's side when making a left and the car's weight being forced down (like on a left bank turn).

HOW IT ALL STARTED:

1. H22A SWAP W/ OEM LSD TRANNY, USING 90-93 INTEGRA AXLE ON PASSENGER SIDE, AND 88-89 INTEGRA AXLE W/ PRELUDE INNER ON DRIVER'S SIDE

2. CAR STARTED TO CLICK WHILE MAKING LEFT TURN AND VIBRATIONS (FELT ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE) WHILE MAKING LEFT TURNS

3. SWITCHED OUT PASSENGER SIDE AXLE TO SHORTER AXLE FROM 90-93 INTEGRA AXLE TO 88-89 INTEGRA AXLE

4. CAR NOW STOPS CLICKING, BUT MAKES VIBRATIONS STILL ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE ON LEFT BANK TURNS (LIKE THE ONRAMP OF A FREEWAY), AND SOMETIMES WHEN THE CAR SORTS DIPS (LIKE ON A BUMP/DIP).

5. TOOK OUT DRIVER'S SIDE, AND THE INNER JOINT WAS BAD. REPLACED IT HOPING THIS WAS THE ANSWER TO MY VIBRATION PROBLEM.

6. CAR STILL MAKES VIBRATIONS ON LEFT BANK TURNS.

CURRENT AXLE SETUP:

88-89 INTEGRA AXLE W/ PRELUDE INNER ON DRIVER SIDE
88-89 INTEGRA AXLE (EXPANDED SNAP RING) ON PASSENGER SIDE
PRELUDE INTERMEDIATE SHAFT
Old 06-08-2004, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have similar issues im using a 99 tranny in my hatch and i have place racnig axles, along with a quafie lsd. it clicks when i turn left, any way i can fix it. really dont want to junk my expensive axles
Old 06-12-2004, 07:22 AM

Default Re: (c1civic)

PROBLEM SOLVED GUYS!

Even though the shorter passenger side axle solved my clicking problem, my car still vibrated on hard bumps. I had it shortened another 1/2" and it drives so smooth, I'd autocross with it.

For me, the 88-89 Integra Axle was still too long. I had an axle custom built for me to be 1/2" shorter than the 88-89 Integra Axle, and with an Prelude Inner.

Modified by cpforyou at 8:36 AM 6/12/2004
Old 06-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I have one for you guys.

on one of my customer's cars, I installed a EURO R H22 with the ATTS transmission. It's also in an EG with Totem mounts...which are basically the same thing as ENJO mounts. We've been having alot of problems because of that ATTS transmission, atleast we think it's because of it. The shafts never work right. We tried so many combos and they always break. This guy does drive very LOW also!

Any tips guys. Also, I want to get a regular H22 tranny to fit on there but the block doesn't have any holes for the half-shaft. What are yo guys doing for this type of situation???

In advance, thanks.