Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gsr/eg hybrid alternator charging problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gsr/eg hybrid alternator charging problems

Kay, a '94 eg hatch with a '95 jdm gsr swap using the d16 engine harness.

The alternator wasn't charging the battery so i put a new one it and it doesn't charge it either.

Aftrer trying a hundred things, i checked the chassis harness of a handy dandy '92 eg i had sitting around and it seems there are several extra wires it has that my '94 doesn't.

Besides the vtec wires, and the auto tranny wires, it has wires A12 and A16 (and a24 ground). The hybrid site lists them as an "engine coolant temp switch" for the A12 and alternator "ALT C" for a16. As per the p72 obd1 ecu pinouts list

My '94 civic doesn't have these wires. I assume the p72 might need them. Anyone else run into this? Sounds like a possible solution to my alternator problems...

d

Old 09-17-2003, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: gsr/eg hybrid alternator charging problems (daver)

What year GSR motor did you put into your Civic?

I understand you used the OBD1 engine harness, but depending on what year motor the GSR engine (being different OBD alternator), you can adapt the plug to the alternator if it`s OBD2 -- and probably wasn`t adapted correctly.

There is one huge white cable that goes onto the alternator, you need to make sure that is securely fastened on the alternator -- as well as on the battery, itself.

There are other 4 wires on the green plug of the alternator which you can just match the pinouts of that plug, and it will work properly.

Keep us posted.
Old 09-17-2003, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: gsr/eg hybrid alternator charging problems (poison)

The engine is a '95 and everything is obd1.

The jdm alternator had a different alt. plug than the d16 harness, but i cut and spliced. Then i had to put the old d16 plug back on when i got a new domestic rebuilt one.

all 4 alternator wires are succesfully sliced and plugged, as well as the big white cable, that also goes to the fuse box.

Its this a16 ecu pin that is my present querry. My junker '92 eg has a wire going to this pin (plus all the other wires are there too, being a '92). My '94 doesn't have this wire.

This page http://tech2.hybridgarage.com/..._obd1
claims it is an alternator wire for the p72.

My questions are, are others missing this wire in their eg's, and do i need it. BTW is a CDM civic, cx

thanks to all,

d
Old 09-17-2003, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also, will accelleration performance be weakened with less voltage running through the system? ie with only the 12v from the battery; because the car is pretty lackluster right now on battery power, for a gsr, that is. Weaker spark?

The present peashooter exhaust won't help much, i know, but shoot my old d15 coulda give this boy a run.

d
Old 09-22-2003, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, i popped the alternator from my 500$us '92 integ gs (next project car) into the civic and it works.

Gees, it took as long to pull the alternator from the integra as it does for me to pull a civic engine.

So my gsr engine came witha dud alternator and i exchanged it for a brand new rebuilt dud alternator.

I traced that a16 pin (in a '92 eg) straight to the alternator. I dont' know what it does, but there is current running through it now that its hooked up. Surprised nobody has mentioned this missing wire or the other two that we apparently don't need.

d