Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gsr swap into EG, alternator fitament issues...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gsr swap into EG, alternator fitament issues...

just swapped over a 95 gsr obd-1 motor/tranny into my lil bro's EG. just wondering what you guys did to resolve the alternator issue.

situation: using the stock civic DX engine wiring harness. the plugs are different from the engine harness to the gsr alternator. I went ahead and used the civic alternator but then it won't line up with the bracket on the gsr motor. the gsr motor didn't come with the engine harness so I can't cut the connector and solder it onto the stock harness. all I did was tighten it with the bottom bolt to tighten the belt. it held pretty tight but when I checked it again, it became a lil looser. what'd you guys do with this??

edit: crap, my bad, I was talking about the alternator.

Modified by Honda Sport at 7:31 PM 7/17/2005
Old 07-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: gsr swap into EG, alternator fitament issues... (Honda Sport)

Alternator or distributor? Make up your mind.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:51 AM

either way, if it is the alternator or distributor that has different plugs than the harness, doesn't that mean that the motor and the chasis are of different obd's? eg is obd1 and motor is obd2?
Old 07-15-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: gsr swap into EG, alternator fitament issues... (HCarPhreak)

95 gsr i believe its obd1.... i don't see why your plugs won't plug up there both obd1... not trying to doubt you but are you sure its a 95gsr motor?
Old 07-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the replys guys. I edited my top post. it's a obd-1 GSR motor into an OBD-1 EG civic hatch. still need some ideas. thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:30 PM

I had no problems with my alternator plugs being different, everything was bolt on for me, except lengthening some wires...You shouldnt have a problem with putting that motor in...
Old 07-18-2005, 06:14 AM

Default Re: (jaybee)

where did you get your motor from? maybe you ended up with an obd2 alternator on the motor somehow. I recently swapped a 94 jdm b18c into a 92 civic cx hatch. I used the cx wiring harness and it plugged right in. hope this helps somehow.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that is weird. I think I did end up with an obd-2 alternator. one thing is the guy who owned the motor before swapped out to a b18c5, I'm wondering if he re-used his and gave me the type-r alternator...anybody have pics of an obd-2 alternator?
Old 07-19-2005, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

believe you can swap the female plugs on the alt.s, not sure though
Old 07-19-2005, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post a close-up pic of the alternator plug, I have a couple spare harnesses around I might be able to cut off & send you the plug with some wires to splice in with...
Old 07-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (klungemonger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klungemonger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Post a close-up pic of the alternator plug, I have a couple spare harnesses around I might be able to cut off & send you the plug with some wires to splice in with...</TD></TR></TABLE>

will get some pics for you. thanks. also, you happen to have other connectors? I need the VTEC selenoid, oil pressure, knock sensor, and IAB connectors. thanks!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Honda Sport)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda Sport &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
will get some pics for you. thanks. also, you happen to have other connectors? I need the VTEC selenoid, oil pressure, knock sensor, and IAB connectors. thanks! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I do have knock sensor and VTEC oil pressure, do not have a spare VTEC solenoid one though. Not sure what the IAB one looks like can you get me a pic of that connector also? Or if there is another connector on the engine that is the same as the IAB I can see if I got a spare one that will work just as good.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klungemonger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I do have knock sensor and VTEC oil pressure, do not have a spare VTEC solenoid one though. Not sure what the IAB one looks like can you get me a pic of that connector also? Or if there is another connector on the engine that is the same as the IAB I can see if I got a spare one that will work just as good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

cool, I'll see what kinda connector the IAB is. I'm pretty sure it's 2-pin but I'll double check.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright let me know! So in summary I might be able to provide you with:
knock sensor plug
VTEC pressure plug
Alternator plug
IAB plug

Is that right?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klungemonger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright let me know! So in summary I might be able to provide you with:
knock sensor plug
VTEC pressure plug
Alternator plug
IAB plug

Is that right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, those are the ones I need.

knock sensor: 1-pin circle plug
VTEC oil pressure: 2-pin circle plug
OBD-2 Alternator plug
IAB: 2-pin circle plug

so you don't have the VTEC selenoid 1-pin square plug?

I'll PM you my addy. thanks!

Modified by Honda Sport at 4:15 AM 7/23/2005
Old 07-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda Sport &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just swapped over a 95 gsr obd-1 motor/tranny into my lil bro's EG. just wondering what you guys did to resolve the alternator issue.

situation: using the stock civic DX engine wiring harness. the plugs are different from the engine harness to the gsr alternator. I went ahead and used the civic alternator but then it won't line up with the bracket on the gsr motor. the gsr motor didn't come with the engine harness so I can't cut the connector and solder it onto the stock harness. all I did was tighten it with the bottom bolt to tighten the belt. it held pretty tight but when I checked it again, it became a lil looser. what'd you guys do with this??

edit: crap, my bad, I was talking about the alternator.

Modified by Honda Sport at 7:31 PM 7/17/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

The B series alt must be used, not only because of its size, but it has a larger pulley on it also to prevent burning up the internals from the higher rpms the engine is designed to use. If the plugs are differnet, then it sounds like someone gave you an OBD-2 alt with your swap. Get an OBD-1 B series and all will be golden.