Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap- Help me out guys!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A or H22A into del sol

I want to do an engine swap in my 95 Honda Del Sol S. I went to two local import shops to get an estimate on both the b16A and H22A engines. One shop told me the b16A was weak and tried to sell me an H22A for 2600 dollars installed. It didnt include motor mounts or axles. The other shop gave me an estimate of 3650 for a B16A installed. I know the H22A has more power but i heard understeer was a problem. I have a 6000 dollar budget. I want to do both a swap and a turbo setup. Help me out guys. Are these even good engines to turbo? Perhaps an LS motor? I need advice. Thanks.

Modified by Bryro22 at 3:00 AM 4/7/2004

Modified by Bryro22 at 3:02 AM 4/7/2004
Old 04-06-2004, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Engine Swap- Help me out guys! (Bryro22)

Bryro-----
Let me first start by saying that this question has im sure been asked countless times for countless models, however I was there once to and your a fellow Soler so I gonna help you out the best i can

Both those swaps def have big potential for power. I guess the question you have to ask yourself is what kind of car you want to have after all is said and done.

The H22a is def a beast right out da box, however I (along with many other people on this forum) would hardly call the b16a weak.

Now you've got 6 grand to spend and you want a turbo something installed in the S. Let me start by clearing something up for you.. An engine isnt INSTALLED in your car with out motor mounts and axles so the price the first shop told you was probably for the swap only (engine/trans/ecu/) a H series swap in our cars requires major fabrication of all mounts and you need to get crafty with your suspention to really make the car drive correctly. If you want to take it to the track 80% of the time and drive straight line. the H22a is your motor I'm afraid if your planning on doing this swap at someone else shop and not your own garage your gonna have to come up with a little more cash to get the job done 6k may not cut it (w/ the swap install and the turbo parts and install).

As for the b16a. Def a swap thats been done to death over the last few years, but there is a reason that everyone does em. The motors themselves are realively inexpensive and a version of the b16 came in the Sol's from 95 on thus making it pretty freakin easy to toss in. expect to spend about 3600 installed for this swap. Again everything is cheaper if you can do it yourself, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. If your building a street car/everyday driver this is the way to go. Maybe not the raw power offered by the h22a but your car was originally DESIGNED to have this motor(b16a) in it, you may have the room in your budget to even turbo it after its in 2 (although you still may be cuttin it close.)

Let me offer a 3rd and slightly diff route to go. Both the above engines use Vtech, and if your looking for turbo power your never going to notice your VTECH after you install a turbo setup. This brings me to my 3rd (and possibly best) option. The b18b integra LS engine. 1.8ltr NON-VTEC, set cams, turbo motors are all about timing, the aggressive cam lobes of vtech engines really serve little purpose when under boost. With this you'll get a slight bump up in useable torque
from the b16 but the overall size of the engine isnt as vastly different as compared to the h22. This changeover can be found very inexpensive as well. EVERYONE wants a swap with VTECH thus making those engines hard to come by and also pretty expensive. Start asking around about turbo LS setups and you'll soon find that when done correctly they can be KICK *** and very driveable. If you throw 6 grand at a setup like that you probably would end up one happy (and fast) kid. And you'd be making the power with out the most common honda technology out there VTECH, which is pretty cool if you ask me.

Start sifting through most of the crap on this forum and you can find some valuable info, make calls, search the hell out of the internet. and talk to several shops before comming to a decsion. Good luck. hope this helped ya.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Engine Swap- Help me out guys! (REWURKD)

REWURKD,
I appreciate your help. I dont know how hard it is to do an engine swap. I've obviously never done one. I am entering a Honda PACT program in the fall of this year. It will get me ASA certified over the course of two years. Do you suggest I wait until i gain more knowledge and save a bunch of money by doing the swap myself?
Old 04-06-2004, 07:40 PM

engine swaps aren't THAT hard....just do your research like he said, have all the parts and you're good to go.....if u have basic mechanical knowledge, and a helms manual you should have no probs....what w/ all the resources on the net.......as for what swap I reccomend an ls turbo setup that would be very fast, and would fit your budget

good luck
Old 04-07-2004, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Engine Swap- Help me out guys! (jsdxhatch)

BRYRO---

Well if you can stand 2 years driving around with that horrid d15 in your S then i'd say def wait till you fell comfortable and can do it yourself. This will save you thousands (which you could possibly put into better suspension/breaks and other stuff to make a better all around car). You'd also have the unique distiction to be able to pop your hood and say "YEAH I DID THAT" which is def worth it in the end.

Patience is def the thing to have when doing **** like this. Dont rush into it and above all else do what YOU WANT, not what someone else tells you or what you read or see in a magazine somewhere. Originality wins everytime in my book

Hope it comes together for ya.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Engine Swap- Help me out guys! (REWURKD)

Ok, so im doing some research on the LS B18B engine and looking for a complete turbo setup. The cheapest one i have found so far is 3000 dollars! Is this what i should expect to pay for a turbo kit? I know alot of people piece together their own parts to save money and still have a reliable setup but i wouldnt know where to begin or what parts to buy.

I do know i want a T3/T4. Thats about all i know. Im a newb when it comes to turbos, but i am eager to learn. Maybe i need to find a post about the basics of a turboed engine. I guess what i am confused about is the parts i will need. Do i need a boost controller, lower compression pistons, rods, etc. or can you run an LS engine at low PSI without buying all these upgrades?

Anyways, What turbo kits do you guys recommend for this motor? What parts will i need and what should i expect to pay? I want to start out at low PSI but eventually work my way into the 300hp range. List some of your setups so i can get an idea of what people are using. Maybe i just need to do some more research. Thanks for everyone's opinions and information.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:31 AM

http://www.customcivics.com, go there and there is a turbo 101 lesson for people who want to do a custom setup. i have a b18b in my 5th gen which is soon to be boosted. u might want to try http://www.homemadeturbos.com.