Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eng.swap for Realtime wagon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eng.swap for Realtime wagon?

What engs. will work with the realtime tranny.and fit in my wagon. Lot a main and would like to keep the wagon. All help would be great. Thanks Sn8k
Old 03-28-2004, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eng.swap for Realtime wagon? (sn8kboy)

I think the best bet would be a DOHC ZC motor, especially since it uses an intermediate shaft like your wagon. You can use a SOHC VTEC motor, just don't know about the driver's side axle, don't know if you can use the long D-series axle.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Eng.swap for Realtime wagon? (Redline130)

Basically you have to stick with the D series motors in order for the tranny to bolt up. I had a 1990 4wd wagon and swapped in a D16Y7 from a 2000 Civic LX. I used the car as a winter beater so I was more worried about it running overall than performance. It ran well, but a lady hit me in the back about a month ago but I got insurance $ from it.
You have to keep the driver's side axle with intermediate shaft, the axle which to this day I have not found an equivalent of. I tried 90-93 Integra which fit but are too short, tried 88-89 Integra which the inside fits the int. shaft but the outer joint is too big for the hub. On the back of the Y7 there was a casting that had a hole for the intermediate shaft to bolt to but it wasn't deep enough or threaded. I drilled and tapped it and the intermediate shaft bolted up and worked no problem.
Next problem was the Y7 oil pan which wouldn't clear the transfer case. The 4wd D16A6 has it's own special oil pan. I had to mod the A6 oil pan (redrill 2 holes) to fit the Y7 and then the pickup tube on the Y7 would bottom out on this oil pan. The A6 pickup tube wouldn't fit so I had to make a custom oil pick up by using both the A6 and Y7 parts.
After all this trouble, about 3 months after driving the car a bearing seized up that transfers power to the driveshaft which caused the input shaft right at the transfer case to snap. This happened at about 80 mph on the interstate Everything was fine after I was able to stop but the driveshaft which got really worked. I ended up making a steel block-off plate for the transfer case and just ran it as fwd until it was totaled.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eng.swap for Realtime wagon? (VTECVillain)

Wow, I didn't think a swap would entail so much custom work. So as far as the driver's side axle, would the best bet be the stock wagon axle? Or would a special one need to be put together using different joints?
Old 03-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eng.swap for Realtime wagon? (Redline130)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline130 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow, I didn't think a swap would entail so much custom work. So as far as the driver's side axle, would the best bet be the stock wagon axle? Or would a special one need to be put together using different joints?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was unable to get a rebuilt driver's side axle from Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, Napa or anywhere. They would either get the fwd drive long D series axle or the wrong one that someone probably turned in as a core but never worked. I tried a fwd long D series axle and it would not fit the tranny side properly. I had a local drivershaft shop construct a custom driver's axle for $95 that worked perfectly: 88-91 Prelude shaft with 88-89 Integra inner joint and 88 Accord outer joint if I'm not mistaken. If you can get the stock 4wd driver's axle then it would be fine when used with the intermediate shaft.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eng.swap for Realtime wagon? (VTECVillain)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was unable to get a rebuilt driver's side axle from Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, Napa or anywhere. They would either get the fwd drive long D series axle or the wrong one that someone probably turned in as a core but never worked. I tried a fwd long D series axle and it would not fit the tranny side properly. I had a local drivershaft shop construct a custom driver's axle for $95 that worked perfectly: 88-91 Prelude shaft with 88-89 Integra inner joint and 88 Accord outer joint if I'm not mistaken. If you can get the stock 4wd driver's axle then it would be fine when used with the intermediate shaft.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool, thanks for the insight. I'm supposed to help a friend swap a Y8 into his AWD wagon and the drivers side cv boot is torn too, so we were going to just get another axle. But from what you say, it may be a trying experience. Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:39 PM

Sorry I have not been back in a few days to get this info. So all I need is any D16. What about the ecu if I stay nonvtec OBDI. I have axles only 1 year old if this is all I need where would be a good place to fine an eng. Would a JDM eng.be the best way to go?
Old 04-05-2004, 04:09 PM

Would a JDM d15 eng.work? anyone know
Old 04-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sn8kboy)

Any 88-00 SOHC D series or black top DOHC ZC engine will work. Just keep in mind what I had to do to the D16Y7 engine that I installed. You will have to do most if not all of the same mods to any other engine in order for it to fit and run properly.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VTECVillain)

since you've had much experience with the awd, can you tell me how the "6-speed" setup works ? i haven't driven one yet and was curious if it's a 5-speed with a secondary "2wd-hi/4wd-low" stick, or what (?)

and if it's a seperate stick, does the aux gearset have synchros so it can be shifted quickly on the fly ?

thx !
Old 04-12-2004, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tungsten2k)

The "6th" speed is like a 4-low or a creeper gear. There is just one shifter and the SL gear as it is called, cannot be shifted on the fly.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tungsten2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline130 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The "6th" speed is like a 4-low or a creeper gear. There is just one shifter and the SL gear as it is called, cannot be shifted on the fly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah it's just like an extra low 1st gear, still part of the main shifter. You can only start off in that gear, you can't and wouldn't want to downshift to it while moving. You just shift over to the far left and up. But about the gear, it's really low almost like reverse. The tranny is cable actuated, the shifter setup is almost identical to an H22.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTECVillain &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any 88-00 SOHC D series or black top DOHC ZC engine will work. Just keep in mind what I had to do to the D16Y7 engine that I installed. You will have to do most if not all of the same mods to any other engine in order for it to fit and run properly.</TD></TR></TABLE>
WORD

Vtecvillan, how long did you have that wagon? What swap would ya like to have put in it for performance. I know ya did the d16y7 for relaibility but would you have stayed AWD or ?
Damn, i had no idea you had a wagon.

Old 04-15-2004, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (akiraboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akiraboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Vtecvillan, how long did you have that wagon? What swap would ya like to have put in it for performance. I know ya did the d16y7 for relaibility but would you have stayed AWD or ?
Damn, i had no idea you had a wagon.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought the wagon for a winter car since I live in northern WV and we get snow from time to time. I only paid $150 for it, the body and interior were in really good shape which is all I was worried about. It of course was MPFI but the original A6 was replaced with a B2 that was shot. I never had any previous experience with the AWD setup so all of it was new to me and I learned a few things along the way. The life of the car was kinda short-lived, I had it on the road from Oct. - Mar. so about 6 months, and the AWD was only working for the first few weeks.
I would love to get another one, I've seen a few locally that I've kept an eye on, hopefully another one will be in store for this fall. Ideally I would like to build an A6 block and Z6 head (mini-me) with a homemade turbo setup (T25 with STD manifold) and stay OBD0 using Ghettodyne. Possibly have the tranny built up, custom I'm sure ($$$ ), to handle the extra power and at the same time definitely keep it AWD. That would be a fun project...
Old 04-16-2004, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the link in my sig 4 the Wagon Evolution board, the classifieds have lotsa wagons 4 sale around the country.
I never woulda guessed u were a wagon peep.
It'd be great 2 have ya there, skool us wagon folk