Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM is it bad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM is it bad?

I think I got a bad ECM. I finally got the B16A(JDM) in my 94 Si. Everything pretty much was plug an play. Except the MAP sensor an the EVAP. I relocated the map sensor but could not come up with a place to put the EVAP so I left it off for now. I had an extra wire harness so I was able to pull out the shielded wire and run it from the knock to the ECM. Placed it in the D plug postion 3 per the advice of many. Was there anything else that need to to be repinned? At this point I hooked back up the battery an gave it a crank. It took a little bit but it finally fired up an started to idle pretty good. Rechecked all the fluids looked over for leaks etc. Then it die. So I gave it a few more cranks an notice that there was a relay under the dash going crazy. So I placed the jumper on the passsenger side to get the codes. And all I got was a solid engine light. So I pulled the jumper an the fuse to reset the codes. Upon cranking the motor over again I notice that the speed dometer was jumping around up to 60 mph. So I stop cranking again traced out the relay that was going ape **** an found it under the dash just to the left of the fuse block which I believe to be the PRM-FI main realy. Turn the key off an it stopped. Place the jumper back in for codes an notice the SRS light going crasy. An the engine light just stay solid again. Oh yeah the ECM that I took out was a 28 but the one I put in was a 30. If the 30 is shot will the 28 do for now?
Old 01-24-2004, 08:05 AM

Default Re: ECM is it bad? (q2team)

The only wiring that was done was from the knock sensor to the ecu?

did you try and place the p28 in the car just to see if it would crank? or what codes it would throw
Old 01-24-2004, 10:14 AM

Default Re: ECM is it bad? (q2team)

I'm going to give that a try in just about hour from now.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:59 PM

k let me know
Old 01-24-2004, 05:04 PM

Default Re: (6spdEG)

Ok well I tried the P28 and the car did start better. But it still is acting up. It will idle really well but once I give it any gas it becomes very erratic until over 5000 rpm then it will stall shortly after letting off the throttle. Then it becomes harder to start. Also I notice as that the speedometer will jump around yet the car is not in gear. Also if I try running codes check with either ECM I notice that the SRS light will flash the whole time. Yet neither one (P30 or P28) is throwing any codes. I double check the SRS light in my other SI and it does not do this. I also notice that when I use the P30 that the PGM-FI Main relay goes ape **** crazy. Are there any pins that needed to be moved besides adding a knock sensor when you do a D16 to a B16A swap?
Old 01-25-2004, 08:08 AM

When you crank the car does the MIL light stay on without the jumper in? If so, when you place the Jumper in the 2 pin connector under the passenger side dash does it stay on and not blink?

Have you checked the Speedometer plug? possibly disconnect it? See what it does.

Can you take pictures of your ecu wiring and were you tapped in the Knock? can you take pictures of your engine bay?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2004, 10:23 AM

Well the MIL light goes out like it should when starting the car.
Upon placing the jumper the MIL light stays on with out flashing with either ECM (P28 or P30).
The speedo plug is good it was removed to fill the tranny but I did double check the connection and it is tight.
I can take the pics but I would have to e-mail them to you a little later, my garage is iced shut right now. As far as where I placed the wire for the knock sensor it was in position D3 which I am positive I placed it because was a blank spot in the D plug. When actually looking at the D plug from front side or the female end the slot I used would be top row second from the right which is the smaller pin slot. Also I had extra wiring harness that had the knock sensor shielded wire. So I removed the wire and reused it in my new harness. so it looks factory from the sensor to the ECM.
Old 01-25-2004, 05:49 PM

Default Re: (q2team)

bump
Old 01-26-2004, 03:55 PM

Anyone?
Old 01-26-2004, 06:26 PM

the light staying on simply means that there is nothing wrong with the ecu. when looking at the back of the plug where the wires go into the plug it should be the top left #1 than next to that going to the right # 3.

get those pics it will help out
Old 01-26-2004, 07:03 PM

that is exactly where I put the pin. I will hopefully get pics tonight if I can get garage door unfrozen.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:21 PM

Well I finally got the garage door unfrozen. And I double check all of my grounds. The one by the distributor was a little loose. Tighten it up and that was it, it runs great now. I will have it on the road this time tomorrow thanks to Hasport.