Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DA Integra Hybrid setup

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2001, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DA Integra Hybrid setup

I'm going hybrid with my DA integra, anyone done this before?

What do you think of this set up guys?
- B18c short block
- B18c mounts
- JDM ITR rods, pistons
- B16a (PR3) head, ITR valve-train, Ti retainers and CTR cams
- R intake manifold
- FPR and Fields or Apexi VAFC
- B16a (PR3) or B18c (P72) ECU?? I'm not sure which one to use
- YS1 LSD (DA RSi) cable gearbox

I hope to yield approx. 190-200whp with this set up. I need to know what kind of problems I will encounter with this set up, any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Old 08-26-2001, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DA Integra Hybrid setup (Lyonel)

Sounds like a good setup, but you have a few problems. First, you can't use B18C mounts. You'll need to use the mounts that are currently in your car to get any B series engine to bolts up. Second, on the ECU choice, I'm assuming your car is a 90-91(non-OBD), in which case a chipped PR3 or PW0 would be the best choice, since a P72 ECU would require wiring changes. Anyway, the rest of it sounds good.
good luck,
Jared
Old 08-26-2001, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ..also..

you shouldn't have to worry about the ITR rods vs. the GSR rods (unless you're getting a deal on them) - they're really not that much different, or even worth getting. Keep the GSR rods, and just swap out your GSR pistons for the ITR ones. It will save you some $$ also. If anything...you should get an ITR crank, because its been treated differently (from the factory) than a GSR crank....it's actually heavier than a GSR crank for more of a race application....hence "R".
I have access to a used ITR crank if your interested...

also...
if you want more power - dont' get a B16A head. Stick with a B18C/GSR head and get a skunk2 intake manifold for a GSR head. You can slap on all of the ITR valvetrain parts on a GSR head too ..... Running a GSR head + ITR pistons + ITR/CTR cams + Skunk2 manifold will put out more power than a poor man's ITR setup with a B16A head since a GSR head has a smaller combustion chamber area.

Yeah...you'll wanna stick with a PR3 (preffered) or PWO ECU if you own a 90-91 DA. If you gotta 92-93 DA (OBD1), then you can use a 94-95 GSR ECU P72, P28, P30, or P61 ECU and have it reprogrammed with more of a 'race' application.

YS1 LSD tranny is the best you can get for a cable trans also...good choice

with all this...I don't think you will make exactly 200hp..but it will be close.

[Modified by Katman, 3:45 PM 8/26/2001]
Old 08-26-2001, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ..also.. (Katman)

I have a 91' XSi with the PR3 ECU. Moving to PW0 or P72, won't i encounter these problems:
- distributor connectors
- remote map sensor (depends on which TB i use i guess)
- injector harness and injectors

Guess I'll stick with my PR3 and customise a program for it.

Katman - What are the benefits of having an ITR crank? Besides additional weights that offer a fully balanced crankshaft.

I've already got a spare PR3 head so I'll have to work with that and a port/polish job is a must. Would I be able to use a hydro tranny with this setup? Is there a need to change the shift linkage? What about engine clearances? The B18c is 10mm taller, I have a JDM 4-1 header i want to use with this set up, will i run into any issues with gearbox clearances? The c-member has visited the blow torch already so that should be ok.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-26-2001, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ..also.. (Lyonel)

ahh...didnt notice you were a New Zealand resident heh cool..

ok..
if you move to a PWO ECU....its the same exact ECU wiring/plugs as PR3, you won't have any wiring issues.

but yes..
if you went OBD1 then you'd have to rewire at the ECU connectors, you'll have to get OBD1 injectors, distributor, and a bunch of other pain in the *** stuff that's not worth doing and will cost you $$ in the long run....it's best if you get your PR3 reprogrammed, and be on your merry way.

benefits of an ITR crank..
It's just a race prepped crank from the factory. It can handle high revs for longer periods of time vs. GSR crank. But it's really no big deal.....you should just stick with a GSR crank if that's all ya got.

Yes..you can use a Hydro tranny on ANY B-series engine. But if you're planning to stick one in your DA.....good luck doing that project. You should stick with a YS1 cable tranny like you said before if you don't wanna make your hybrid life a living hell trying to make a hydro tranny work in a DA.

You can reuse your shift linkage no problem.

The B18C being a taller block will not effect anything. US DA's come with B18A engines which are almost identical in height to the B18C engine. Your 4-1 header wil fit the same as your current engine setup. As far as clearance issuses with the transmissions....sticking with a cable tranny will fit perfectly. But..if you wanna try a hydro trans, you'll have to make some kind of custom mount for it since a DA engine bay wasn't made to mount a Hydro tranny in it.

put it this way....
you currently have a B16A engine in your DA right now, right? Well by adding a B18C block, everything will transfer over from the B16A to the B18C.....you'll need B18C headstuds, they're a little longer than B16A headstuds - make sure you get a set of those.

Old 08-27-2001, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ..also.. (Katman)

Yeah, lots of JDM goodies here but we lack all the American goodies (aftermarket performance parts, tuning shops etc.)

You make it sound like a very straight forward process Katman The most dreaded part is the wiring, I just hate dealing with wires , but if I can retain the PR3 wiring and just bolt on the B18c block without any wiring woes, I'm a happy camper!

Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2001, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ..also.. (Lyonel)

yep...stick with the PR3 and all will be well...you won't have any wiring issues....
good luck.
Old 08-27-2001, 03:56 PM
New User

Default Re: DA Integra Hybrid setup (Lyonel)

It's a good setup, but don't expect 190-200 at the wheels. Should make about the same power as a jdm R motor.
Old 08-28-2001, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DA Integra Hybrid setup (cheezemaster)

Not even 190whp!? With adjustable cam gears, Spoon or CTR cams, JDM header, R manifold, 62mm TB, VAFC and re-prog ECU.... hmmmm... we'll see