Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple of more H22 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple of more H22 questions

Hey,
I have a 95 integra LS that i am putting an h22 into this weekend... I am almost close to picking up a 98 US H22 swap minus the ecu too.... I will be running a chipped 95 p72 with a mugen h22 program for my ecu... I have a couple of questions though..

1. Since I am running the p72, do i have to wire egr or not?

2. I am doing the wiring myself, posion was kind enough to send me a wiring diagram, do i start with the h22 harness and extend it?

3. I am using the hcp kit. I know with the 92-95 h22's, we can use the 90-93 accord intermediate shaft and 90-93 integra axles... Is that the same case with 97 and up h22's?

4. I heard rumors about 97 and up trannies not bolting up in eg/dc's. Is this true? I also heard I might need a prelude tranny bracket to make this work, is this true? if it is what year prelude tranny bracket do i need? Would one out of an accord work?

5. I know with the earlier h22's, we could use 90-93 accord shifter cables or 92-95 prelude shifter cables. Is that the case with 97 and up preludes? Or do I need 97 and up shift linkages out of a prelude/accord?

6. Is the exhaust manifold different on 92-96 preludes from 97 and up preludes? The reason is my friend has a set of 95 preludes headers, i was going to buy them from him but i dont know if it'll work

7. Lastly, will my stock integra shifter work or do i need to get a prelude/accord shifter...

Anyone that can answer my questions please help...Neumann, poison, jason anyone?? I need to know before the day runs out so i can pick up the motor for the weekend...

thanks
Old 07-17-2003, 09:23 AM

Default Re: A couple of more H22 questions (chidoks)

Hey,
I have a 95 integra LS that i am putting an h22 into this weekend...

---> swapping an H22 in 1 weekend ?? You're on crack!! Unless you mean that you're just starting this weekend... It took me 6 weeks of good solid work (Nights and weekends that is) Are you replacing all the suggested items ?(clutch, t. belt, water pump etc...)

I am almost close to picking up a 98 US H22 swap minus the ecu too.... I will be running a chipped 95 p72 with a mugen h22 program for my ecu... I have a couple of questions though..

--> Not sure, P72 is GSR ? If the car didn't have EGR then you don't need to hook it up because it won't look for it.

2. I am doing the wiring myself, posion was kind enough to send me a wiring diagram, do i start with the h22 harness and extend it?

--> Most say to use the original harness from the car and modify it. I modded my civic VX's (had v-tec and egr already) and it wasn't bad at all... Plus it fits the car fine.

3. I am using the hcp kit. I know with the 92-95 h22's, we can use the 90-93 accord intermediate shaft and 90-93 integra axles... Is that the same case with 97 and up h22's?

--> probably, not 100% sure though

4. I heard rumors about 97 and up trannies not bolting up in eg/dc's. Is this true? I also heard I might need a prelude tranny bracket to make this work, is this true? if it is what year prelude tranny bracket do i need? Would one out of an accord work?

--> again probably, but I think obd1 and obd2 stuff is just about the same except for distributors, wiring, etc...

5. I know with the earlier h22's, we could use 90-93 accord shifter cables or 92-95 prelude shifter cables. Is that the case with 97 and up preludes? Or do I need 97 and up shift linkages out of a prelude/accord?

--> Good question... I'm not sure, but get the cables that came with the engine if you can. Otherwise, since that stuff is similar if not the same, it would probably work.

6. Is the exhaust manifold different on 92-96 preludes from 97 and up preludes? The reason is my friend has a set of 95 preludes headers, i was going to buy them from him but i dont know if it'll work

--> Not sure, but the engine you're buying should include the header.

7. Lastly, will my stock integra shifter work or do i need to get a prelude/accord shifter...

--> You need a prelude shifter

Anyone that can answer my questions please help...Neumann, poison, jason anyone?? I need to know before the day runs out so i can pick up the motor for the weekend...

--> One more thing --> Patience young Skywalker... You seem pretty anxious to get this done. Take your time and do things right and it'll pay off big time later.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A couple of more H22 questions (SleeprCivic)

I am not trying to get it done in one weekend, i am trying to get it started this weekend... It is VERY possible to do an h22 swap into an eg/dc in one weekend if u know what u are doing... I have a friend from VA that has an h22 turbo in his teg, he rips out the motor and puts it back in, in a couple of hours.... He just recently did an h22 into his hatch(the beater) and i presonally saw him do it, with no contributions from anybody...he started at 4pm on a friday night and the car was running by 11am the next morning, all he did was drink red bulls all night... Of course he still had some minor work he had to work out, but the car was up and running by 11am. I think I work pretty fast, I pulled my stock LS swap out of my car and had my b20 w/gsr tranny up and running in about 8 hours with no bugs.. I know an h22 is a lot more complicated but I think I can get it done within a week. Once the wiring is out of the way, the major stuff is the shifter cables and getting the mounts to line up, everything else shouldnt be too bad... I think I can get most of it done by the weekend if i work at it non-stop... The p72 is the gsr ecu... Any other opinions??
Old 07-17-2003, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where did you get your p72 with mugan chip upgrade h22 spec's? they make those? or is it just custom?
Old 07-17-2003, 10:41 AM

Default Re: A couple of more H22 questions (SleeprCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleeprCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey,
I have a 95 integra LS that i am putting an h22 into this weekend...

I am almost close to picking up a 98 US H22 swap minus the ecu too.... I will be running a chipped 95 p72 with a mugen h22 program for my ecu... I have a couple of questions though..

You dont have to wire up EGR but if you are going to be using a computer that is going to look for the signal then you may as well. If your chipped ECU doesn then I wouldnt worry about it. Even when I had my p13 I never had an EGR code and it was never hooked up..

use the harness that came with the car and modify what is need to adapt to the ludes plugs on the engine. The majority of everything should be the same however you may need to get an ODB I distributor to make things easier on yourself and then just lengthen other wires that maybe too short. Example. Alternator because its sits on the opposite side

Yes

Its not the trannies but the rear tranny bracket. When using the HCP kit you must get/purchase a 92-95 rear tranny bracket to use with the mounkit

91-93 Accord cables or lude shifter cable will work just fine, and that is what I am currently using with my setup. (91 Accord cables and shifter)

The upper part of the header itself is not different but the downpipes are arranged differently. If you buy that 4th gen manifold then you will have to have the downpipes bracket modified to fit the engine housing. (I am currently using a 4th gen Greddy header so I am speaking from experience again) Nothing a muffler shop shouldnt be able to do..

Accord/Prelude shifter. One uses rods and the other cables. Sell your teg shift **** if ya want

--&gt; One more thing --&gt; Patience young Skywalker... You seem pretty anxious to get this done. Take your time and do things right and it'll pay off big time later.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-18-2003, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A couple of more H22 questions (Jason kiDD)

wow....jason kidd...u answered every possible question i had...thanks a lot...u are a life saver... I already have an obd1 distributor lying around from my friends swap...
Old 07-18-2003, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jacklee)

its custom...contact cheetah...he sells chipped ecu's...
Old 07-18-2003, 09:03 AM

No problemo..
Old 07-18-2003, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A couple of more H22 questions (Jason kiDD)

jason, do i have to wire a resistor box in?
Old 07-18-2003, 10:26 AM

Ha funny you ask that question. My first car was a 91 Accord and the engine I have is a 98 h22 which as we all know uses 290cc saturated injectors. Now when I first got the swap done the resistor pack was added to the car since it came stock however we were never really sure if it was needed or not since the injectors were not peak/hold. So when it finally came around to me doing the swap in the civic I just wired it back up again since I knew it worked that way and I did plan on upgrading to either 92-95 injectors or DSM's later on.. So for peace of mind even if you have an ODB II engine like mine I would wire it up and be done with it..