Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooler thermostat? JDM B16A SiR-II

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooler thermostat? JDM B16A SiR-II

Today at school I learned that a cooler, 160deg thermostat will make more power by running the engine cooler and in turn allow more air to enter the combustion chamber due to the fact that the air is not expanding as it comes in. Does anyone have any experience with cool thermostats on B16's? Any comments?

Thanks,
zelifcam
Old 09-04-2003, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Cooler thermostat? JDM B16A SiR-II (zelifcam)

what?
just because the coolant temprature is lower dosent mean the engine will make more power. even if it DOES make a change, its not gonna be of any significance espically for you to feel or see on a dyno.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:35 PM

everything makes a difference... if i lower the temperature in the chamber by 30 degrees, i can get a 3% horsepower gain for $8. 5 HP for $8 sounds good to me.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol ok if you say so
the only thing a low temp thermostat is good for is prolonged engine life.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zelifcam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Today at school I learned that a cooler, 160deg thermostat will make more power by running the engine cooler and in turn allow more air to enter the combustion chamber due to the fact that the air is not expanding as it comes in. Does anyone have any experience with cool thermostats on B16's? Any comments?

Thanks,
zelifcam</TD></TR></TABLE>

technically yes. will it affect a lot in normal driving? nah

I currently run 15% coolant, redline water wetter, and the rest distilled water with removed valve on my thermostat.

Does it run differently? Not really

but being that it's hot as hell, you can put more abuse on the engine w/o it over heating.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Cooler thermostat? JDM B16A SiR-II (Kamin)

i was actually thinking that it will shorten my engine life, as the internal engine parts may not expand as much as they were designed to and may even have problems sealing the rings, keeping the oil hot enough, etc...

Honda didn't put a 195F thermostat in the car so that the engine could have a short life, they did it for emission and fuel economy concerns... keeping a hot cylinder promotes more complete, cleaner combustion...
Old 09-04-2003, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Cooler thermostat? JDM B16A SiR-II (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">'

technically yes. will it affect a lot in normal driving? nah

I currently run 15% coolant, redline water wetter, and the rest distilled water with removed valve on my thermostat.

Does it run differently? Not really

but being that it's hot as hell, you can put more abuse on the engine w/o it over heating.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the information. do you live where it's hot all the time? I wouldn't really want to run without a thermostat here in the midwest, but maybe when I move south next year..
Old 09-04-2003, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zelifcam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was actually thinking that it will shorten my engine life, as the internal engine parts may not expand as much as they were designed to and may even have problems sealing the rings, keeping the oil hot enough, etc...

Honda didn't put a 195F thermostat in the car so that the engine could have a short life, they did it for emission and fuel economy concerns... keeping a hot cylinder promotes more complete, cleaner combustion...</TD></TR></TABLE>
BUT heat is the enemy of all internal parts

nothing really expands after the engine is broken in.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:23 PM

Default Re: Cooler thermostat? JDM B16A SiR-II (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
BUT heat is the enemy of all internal parts

nothing really expands after the engine is broken in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

every metal part of your engine expands all the time. that's why we have valve lash and the like. that's why you heat an exhaust manifold to get an O2 sensor out... it expands... all metals do..
Old 09-05-2003, 05:23 AM

I was also told that if you put a resistance load on the CTS wire, you'll get a richer A/F mixture by telling the ECU you're engine is running cooler than it really is.
Not sure if that's what you needed to know, but it might help.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Cooler thermostat? JDM B16A SiR-II (n00baller)

if you lower coolant temperature significantly, the ECU's CTS won't read properly and the ECU will not go into closed loop operation. This, however, is not a concern to me since I'm running a P28 with a Kenji chip that never seems to go into closed loop operation. I'm not even sure if it pays any attention to CTS or not.

-zelifcam