Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B18C vs H22A.....which to go for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 12:32 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18C vs H22A.....which to go for?

thinking of which engine to go for when i drop in a new one into my 98 civic ex?
what are the prices of these swaps? which would perform better overall without FI? if anyone could give me the specs and prices, that would be great!
Old 08-23-2001, 07:50 PM
S.
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: B18C vs H22A.....which to go for? (hobo79)

A H22 swap into a civic can cost up to $7000 with all parts and labor(unless of course you do this all yourself). This will cost you more than a typical B18 swap, however, the performance that you will gain over the B18 will be significant. You can and will break your tires loose easily. Handling is not an issue. This can be corrected by a good suspension setup. A good set of adjustable shocks with springs (must have a high spring rate) or true coilovers will do the trick. Integra Neuspeed race springs could probably also be used with a good set of adjustable shocks. Dont forget to add a 22mm sway bar in the rear...... and you'll have no problem keeping up with B18 civic in the twisties. An H22 only weighs approximately 385 lbs (believe it or not). This means an addition of about 185lbs to the front of the car. Not much considering the amount of performance your are going to gain over the B18. I guess the real question here is.............. What do you want?

BTW.... I'm not H22 bias. No really!
Old 08-24-2001, 09:32 AM
New User

does it cost that much????...........is it because it is more difficult to install than the typical B18?....what are the hp of them both? from what i heard, its B18 = 170
H22 = 195

Old 08-24-2001, 10:12 AM
B18C-EJ1

The H22 is a great straight line car, but for handling, forget it. I've driven in a H22 powered CX, and it was just stupid fast.

IMHO, the GSR is a great engine, and you can get excellent #'s from it.
Old 08-24-2001, 07:34 PM
S.
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: B18C vs H22A.....which to go for? (B18C-EJ1)

An H22 swap is more expensive due to a number of things:
1. A good suspension setup is the key. Most people upgrade the suspension of their car before perfoming a swap. Therefore their car is not setup well to handle a little extra weight on the vehicle. Springs with a higher spring rate, adjustable shocks, tie bars, and sway bars are definately a must if your planning to Auto-X in the car. Other than that..... the car is fine for everyday driving. (When you race on the road do you always race around corners or in a straight line?????????)

2. Motor mounts - Use Hasport mounts for a 5th gen and Place Racing Mounts for a 6th gen. These mounts can and will vary in their price. It all depends on who or where you purchase them from.

3. Axles - GSR axles will not work on a H22 powertrain. Neither will your stock civic ones. Your best bet is to have some made or purchase them from Place Racing. (I've heard Place's axles suck ***.)

4. Radiator - You will need a 99-00 SI dual core radiator or one from a delsol SI.
You can make a integra radiator fit or you can just purchase one after-market!

5. Shift Linkage - you will need to find a 92 - 93 accord or prelude shift linkage.

6. ECU - For this you have a couple of different options. You can use a 96 lude ECU (due to the fact that the 97-01 ECU's will require you to have the immobilizer system to run it properly.) Or you can use a GSR ECU (which contrary to popular belief will run the lude engine quite nicely!!!).

I cannot think of anything more right now...... I'll right more if I think about it.
Just keep in mind that any mods that you can do to a GSR motor, you can also do to a H22. (The only bad thing is that the parts for a H22 are just a bit more expensive. However, not by much.)

There is no replacement for displacement! Once your finished everytime you pass a GSR civic..... you'll have the biggest smile on your face. They won't stand a chance.

Take care. Have fun.
Intrick.