Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B18B swap problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18B swap problem.

I’ve swapped a B18B into my 94 Honda Civic CX HB. The engine and transmission came from a 94 Integra which hit a curb and did some front end damage (ripped off the front wheel).

It’s always felt like there was a short shifter installed, even though there isn’t. This had me a bit concerned, but since I don’t know exactly how it’s supposed to feel, I just wrote it off as “normal”…wishful thinking I suppose. I took it out for the first test drive last night and as soon as I tried to put down some power it felt like it slipped out of gear. Now it won’t engage in any gear.

I think the transmission is broken, but I’m hoping it’s something simple. I didn’t think to check the gear engagement before putting the engine in the car so it’s possible the shift linkage is just binding somehow…? There weren’t any obvious problems when we put it in the car, and I haven’t had time to check it since it failed on the test drive. We used the entire shift linkage that came with the B18B, I assume this is okay? What should I check for, and if I need to change the transmission, can I do it with the engine in the car or should I pull it?

Thanks in advance,
Old 03-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: B18B swap problem. (MCOChuck)

bleed your clutch lines?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B18B swap problem. (Lord Helmet)

We bleed the heck out of the clutch...It still felt a little spongy but not too bad.

The best way to describe the shifting is that it feels like a short throw shifter is installed. There’s no binding...sort of sounds like it’s getting into gear...maybe not all the way. No change in the feel if the clutch is engaged or not.

I was talking to an Acura mechanic and he said that he's never seen a transmission damaged from the type accident the donor car was in...

I'm not sure what's wrong with this thing...