Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another B18c5 swap question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another B18c5 swap question

I've finally decided on the USDM B18c5 engine for my 94 cx. Now, I want to know what is the easiest route to take to make the motor work on my obd1 car? I have the obd2 harness and ecu from the typeR engine and want to use as much of it as I can. Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:01 PM

Default Re: another B18c5 swap question (SupaFly_Honda)

Get your factory ecu chipped and remapped.Then either use a msd rpm activator switch by removing the factory plenum wires and using a factory sensor plug wire for something like intake air temp,vtec oil pressure,coolant temp or idle air control use a test light with the ignition an and test the terminal for posotive ignition power the crimp the corosponding wire on the other sensor plug to the MSD rpm activator and the ground the other side to the factory ground wire at thne thermostat housing ground.If you want to skip all thnat then delete the factory manifold and add a skunk 2 or what ever you need. The as far as wiring harness so you dont have to repin the distributor or move the oxygen sensor to the rear of the motor you use the outer section of the engine harness where it connects at the strut towers on either side of the car.Then you just pin in the 3 wires at the ecu and run it by the factory loom up to the plugs at the strut mounts then place a multimeter to the wires at vtecpressureswitch ,vtecsolenoid and knock but actually you dont need the knock if you will use a rechipped but it is always good to add knock sensor and the dual plenum if you are already in there just incase you eventually do run in to a OBD1 p72 ecu. To cover thesome of cost of the ecu or MSD rpm activator sell the crank angle sensor because alot of people need the sensor when they do the swap and its pricey at the dealer. If you dont need the knock sensor cause you will never put the p72 ecu you can also sell it. You can get $100.00 for it because they break alot from the plastic breaking and shipping from Japan. dont forget to change the timing belt and waterpump and check the clutch because you never really know the milage on a usdm motor. I see so many of my customer's who dont and then get screwed by having to pull the motor out or busting a T-belt 3months later or a locked up waterpump and always do a compression test too.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: another B18c5 swap question (jdmrhdbb2)

Get your factory ecu chipped and remapped.Then either use a msd rpm activator switch by removing the factory plenum wires and using a factory sensor plug wire for something like intake air temp,vtec oil pressure,coolant temp or idle air control use a test light with the ignition an and test the terminal for posotive ignition power the crimp the corosponding wire on the other sensor plug to the MSD rpm activator and the ground the other side to the factory ground wire at thne thermostat housing ground.If you want to skip all thnat then delete the factory manifold and add a skunk 2 or what ever you need. The as far as wiring harness so you dont have to repin the distributor or move the oxygen sensor to the rear of the motor you use the outer section of the engine harness where it connects at the strut towers on either side of the car.Then you just pin in the 3 wires at the ecu and run it by the factory loom up to the plugs at the strut mounts then place a multimeter to the wires at vtecpressureswitch ,vtecsolenoid and knock but actually you dont need the knock if you will use a rechipped but it is always good to add knock sensor and the dual plenum if you are already in there just incase you eventually do run in to a OBD1 p72 ecu. To cover thesome of cost of the ecu or MSD rpm activator sell the crank angle sensor because alot of people need the sensor when they do the swap and its pricey at the dealer. If you dont need the knock sensor cause you will never put the p72 ecu you can also sell it. You can get $100.00 for it because they break alot from the plastic breaking and shipping from Japan. dont forget to change the timing belt and waterpump and check the clutch because you never really know the milage on a usdm motor. I see so many of my customer's who dont and then get screwed by having to pull the motor out or busting a T-belt 3months later or a locked up waterpump and always do a compression test too.
whoa buddy too much info not needed.

lets make this simple usdm b18c5 swap
plug in the engine harness
wire up:
1.vtec solenoid
2. vtec pressure switch
3. vtec ground
from the engine harness to the ecu plug.
refer to this site: http://tech.hybridgarage.com/tech/5gtech/index.html

your type r ecu will be useless.
so buy a p28 chipped with any b series spec programs.
its all plug and play basically. no extensive mods.
for the ecu check kenji here on h-tech.
or http://www.jdmhondaparts.com
Old 12-23-2002, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys! that really help me out. Any other suggestions are still welcome.

does anyone know if Kenji have the chipped p28 instock where I can just purchase without any core exchange?
Old 12-23-2002, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

running the chipped p28 would be the easiet route to take, but will it limit out the knock sensor? If so, wouldn't this hurt performance and engine in the long run? Just curious.
Old 12-24-2002, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

running the chipped p28 would be the easiet route to take, but will it limit out the knock sensor? If so, wouldn't this hurt performance and engine in the long run? Just curious.
having no knock sensor does not inhibit performance at all.
i know of a few people who are running these ecu's in there integra type r's.
no matter where you go if you dont have the ecu to exchange you are going to
get charged.
Old 12-24-2002, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=346524&page=1

Tom explains it all in this post.
Old 12-26-2002, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: another B18c5 swap question (Revolveu2)

that car is tight and the thread was very clear and helpful. But I was curious his car is a 92 cx. Mine is a 94. I've heard and read on here that all 92-93cx were pre-wired for vtec. And the 94-95 cx did not, is this going to be prevent me from any nice plug and play?