Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 hatch swap questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 hatch swap questions...

Heys guys alright so i bought a 99 dap hatch 2 weeks ago for $400 from a old lady, all it needed was a dizzy and started right up. it has 300,000 miles and i have a 2 inch folder of everything she bought. From oil changes to water pump and timing belt. So my issue is that because it has so many miles when it dies i want to be prepared for another engine.

I have done some research for 2 weeks now and found a bunch of options. So i was dead set on buying the b18c off of HMO with the LSD then the night that i was going to order it i had a friend that needed the money bad so i lent it to him.

So in about a year and a half i want to turbo it looking around the 300hp then. So im trying to find a motor that will withstand it. I have done all the research on the gsr and for the most part with mild mods i can make that work. Then i started thinking about the H22 with the h2b because of the low end power. I'm still going to be right around that range in price if not slightly more, but i heard its a little harder to install so im not sure. Either way its one of my options. Then i have some friends that did ls-vtec and had mixed reviews, some love it to death and others would have rathered spent the money on a gsr. Give or take everyones in n/a and not turboed. The only person i knew that turboed it was fully built with a gt40 and wrecked it a week later, But he loved it. Then yesterday i started thinking about the b20v because 2 friends are going that route. So far i'm leary on it, because it will give me the same low end power the H22 will for alot cheaper but i heard if i turbo it i would have to sleeve the block because there very weak.

So i guess what are your guys opinions? What have you done in the past that worked and didnt work?

I guess i want a reliable engine that will do what i want and not cost me a arm and leg in the long run.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:12 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 99 hatch swap questions...

Seriously. No offense but you sound like my wife when's she's goes shopping. As in, can't make up her mind about anything.

Here's a thought. Take all those options. Make a side by side list and compare all the pros and cons then MAKE A CHOICE! I really hate these "how do I spend my money?" threads because that's what this is.

When you pick an option and then have issues THEN come back and ask a real tech question.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc ik your a legend on honda-tech and ive read hundreds of posts from you over the years. I have made a list and thought about them all for days. I can see where your coming from, but i guess im looking for what other people have done and worked great? So Marc if you dont mind what do you have?
Old 03-17-2012, 04:53 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not getting into this bromance thing. Each person's goals are different. No two people want the same thing out of their cars so asking this is pointless and you'll get the same tired *** answers that everyone gives every single time one of you asks this played out tired question.

When it comes down to it you get the biggest engine with the most power that you can afford. It really is that simple and I don't know WHY you people try to over complicate it.

If you've read my posts you know I have NEVER asked anyone on this website what they thought I should do to my car and how I should spend my money. Nor do I give a rat's *** what they think about it.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recommend you read the link in grumbles signature.

And I also recommend you create your own path to happiness with your Honda. Mimicking your friends will not lead to you feeling like your car is your own.