Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Noobie Needs help picking swap for 99 hatch

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Noobie Needs help picking swap for 99 hatch

Hey guys got myself a 99 hatch for this summer coming up looking for a good swap to run something fast and decently reliable I'm not looking to do a k cause I don't have the money I was thinking of either an lsv poor mans type r or something else depending on what u guy think right now it has a d15 Vtec in it and I don't wanna be slow this summer lol thanks for the help guys
Old 11-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Noobie Needs help picking swap

buy the best engine with your budget that you can afford
Old 11-20-2011, 03:43 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

^^^This.
Get the biggest engine with the most horsepower that you can afford. If you don't know how to do a swap yourself then consider asking some to help you that does or pay someone.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:22 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by longo92
Hey guys got myself a 99 hatch for this summer coming up looking for a good swap to run something fast and decently reliable I'm not looking to do a k cause I don't have the money I was thinking of either an lsv poor mans type r or something else depending on what u guy think right now it has a d15 Vtec in it and I don't wanna be slow this summer lol thanks for the help guys
If there's a D15 in there (and you're in the US) then the car has already been swapped since all US '96-'00 Civics came with 1.6L engines.

There's a few different points you should think over before you decide upon and purchase your new engine.

What are the legal swaps in your area? Sometimes there are limitations. Some areas, for example, will not allow a "light truck" engine to be swapped into a car. Other areas will only allow engines of the same year or newer. Will you be required to pass emissions or BAR?

What other parts will you need to replace for your swap? Are you willing to modify your car in that way or is there something you dislike about it? Cutting out your old mounts and welding new ones in might be a no-no in your opinion. Do you "require" VTEC? Are you okay with mismatching an engine together or would you prefer a more K.I.S.S. approach?

Will the engine really suit your needs? The fact of the matter is that an expensive engine that only runs on jet fuel just might not be a reasonable daily driver for us all. Would a high or low compression engine be better for your uses? Do you plan to modify the engine later? Any idea how you might? Are you okay with using premium fuel or would you rather the car runs on regular? Would you prefer to have as much power out of the stock motor or are you doing an eco build?

Don't forget to do any possibly need service to the engine. Has it had it's water pump and timing belt done? Don't forget the price of additional items and fluids.

Now write down the engine swaps you can think of and mark down any concerns or complaints you might have with each. Some might be easily marked off the list and others might stay up for debate for a bit. Hopefully this will help keep you from buying an engine that you end up not wanting.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

junk yard turbo....

when it blows, buy the swap.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redm3turbo
junk yard turbo....

when it blows, buy the swap.
agreed, turbo all the way
Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A turbo d? haha so you could push just as much as a b series? as you hear in life man go big or go home dreamin
Old 11-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

buy a swapp that suit ur brudget. stock b series are pretty cheap and a decent swap for a dd
Old 11-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

then again you dont wanna dumpp cash in a dd that youll park in da street where there is lots of thieves around....thinkk wiselyy bro
Old 11-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Wrona
what???? do you even know what you're talking about

oh yeah go get a turbo just put it on and it will all work its so simple

please keep your dumb comments to yourself
you think its harder to set up a junkyard turbo then doing a b swap or ls/vtec etc?

Money is obviously a concern --and bang for buck, you can set up a junkyard turbo for cheap.

There's not much info in the post, i.e. hows the engine in the car running? etc etc. If the engine is in good shape (lets assume it is, because OP just said he wants a swap to "be fast for summer" not it needs blah blah blah)

So, speed and money are a concern.... Your opinion is that the B swap would fix both these problems. Ill stand by my opinion that cheap and fast is with the turbo.

Another thing is....everyone I know that has swapped, has loved it for 4 months...then always thought, man I need (whatever the next step up is). Get a b16, youll then want a b18c1, then a c5, then a K swap etc. At least thats what Ive always seen. I mean, you have a 120hp civic, and you get a 160 hp civic and its great, til you ride in a 180hp one, then you see 200 hp...etc etc etc.
Being fast for the summer means....well lets be honest, racing... once you start modding...you arent going to stop, you just run out of funds.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree on getting the best with what you can afford. If you can swing it, i have always loved a B16B. They arent too expensive, super fun and reliable, and plenty of options to make it alot better. Best middle of the road swap in my opinion.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

open your mouth up- get ready for the honda-techs r gonna spoon feed you bs opinions that dont mean shiz
Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by that_boy_sammy
A turbo d? haha so you could push just as much as a b series? as you hear in life man go big or go home dreamin
You can make considerably more power than any B series is capable of NA (in non race trim) on a stock block with a small turbo.

@OP if you want to go fast and you have a D15B VTEC. Then Put a small turbo on it and tune it. Don't run too much boost but you can easily get 220WHP out of it and have it be reliable. It will be faster than any B swap and considerably cheaper. If you really want to go B series then do a LSV or a B20V, just don't rev them too high or you will kill the bottom unless you are very lucky. GSR's are a waste of money IMHO.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you think its harder to set up a junkyard turbo then doing a b swap or ls/vtec etc?

Money is obviously a concern --and bang for buck, you can set up a junkyard turbo for cheap.

There's not much info in the post, i.e. hows the engine in the car running? etc etc. If the engine is in good shape (lets assume it is, because OP just said he wants a swap to "be fast for summer" not it needs blah blah blah)

So, speed and money are a concern.... Your opinion is that the B swap would fix both these problems. Ill stand by my opinion that cheap and fast is with the turbo.

Another thing is....everyone I know that has swapped, has loved it for 4 months...then always thought, man I need (whatever the next step up is). Get a b16, youll then want a b18c1, then a c5, then a K swap etc. At least thats what Ive always seen. I mean, you have a 120hp civic, and you get a 160 hp civic and its great, til you ride in a 180hp one, then you see 200 hp...etc etc etc.
Being fast for the summer means....well lets be honest, racing... once you start modding...you arent going to stop, you just run out of funds.
That is often true. But you can build a setup and turn it up until you push it to the max. If you do a nice turbo setup it will be other people who envy you. Instead of just swapping and swapping and swapping. The reason you're friends keep swapping and swapping is because they start slow and stay slow. 120/140/160/180/200hp is all slow.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ my point exactly
Old 11-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree with the guy above who agreed with the guy on top of him
Old 11-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think a b16 would be your best choice(if that is in your price range)
Old 11-20-2011, 01:09 PM
The Grumpiest

B16s are gutless. Don't waste your money.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
Other areas will only allow engines of the same year or newer.
It is illegal in all 50 states to put a motor in that is older than the car!!! Federal laws not state
Old 11-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also shop around and take your time. I found a 99GSR complete swap with 80k miles and new timing belt and water pump and a BNIB Skunk2 pro IM for 1500
Old 11-20-2011, 01:34 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
It is illegal in all 50 states to put a motor in that is older than the car!!! Federal laws not state
Yet people do it all the time.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:46 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Someone saying they can't afford a K-series swap doesn't mean money is a huge concern. K-series are one of the more expensive and time consuming swaps out there.

There are many swaps which can be purchased and installed for significantly less than the K-series.

The problem I see with doing a junkyard turbo and running the car until the engine blows (as you stated) is that later on down the line you're going to have a car that suddenly does not run. This could be highly inconvenient.

The OP has not stated that the car is having mechanical issues. He only states that he doesn't want his car to be slow this coming summer since it only has a D15 VTEC.

So for now the OP has a running car, but it's slow. He can put together a reliable build (do it right the first time) and put that into his car at his leisure.

I'm not here about doing things on a budget and just upgrading when you have an emergency. I would rather have a good base I can improve upon in the future, which is still highly reliable until then as well.

I do not envy the people I know with stock Civics with junkyard turbos. Most of them are budget builds, ghetto rigged together. Of the ones I've met, often these are the people who would like a faster car, but they just plain do not have the money. So they scrape by with as cheap as a build as humanly possible and then they have problems down the line.

This isn't to say that it's not possible to have a reliable car out of these parts, but in my experience it's not likely. Plus swaps are just so cheap to begin with. The OP doesn't REQUIRE a swap or a turbo, so he can just keep his eyes out for the right deal.
It also is not enforced in most parts of the country. We don't even have emissions laws here. Catalytic converters are required as well, but in many areas there's just no reason for a cop to even find out you're not running one.

I was mentioning those things to give him an idea of what he might want to look into as far as the law goes before he swaps.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no it is not. We have no emissions here and no motorvehicle regulations that prevent us from putting whatever motor in whatever car.

If there is some kind of law it is not enforced at all. You could roll into a police station and have the car checked and not get in trouble for having a lower year motor.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

turbo D!! rods/vitaras+lots of boost. sohc ftw
Old 11-21-2011, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the replys guys I'll try to answer everyones questions I'm in Toronto so there isn't a problem with swapping motors and I'm not the greatest with swapping so my buddy is gonna help me out but ya as for motors I've always wanted an itr motor from the begining the reason I haven't got one is cause there almost 4000 in most shops I said I wanted an ls vetch because my buddy had one and it was pretty quick full skunk 2 head intake manifold and 70mm throttle body and the bottom end was itr pistons or Ctr I can't remember but it was nice and quick same with my buddy's poor mans type r in his crx I was looking at those kind of things to build or an ls motor on boost I would have boosted my single cam but it's been beat to hell and back from previous owner I was going to build a b16 but everyone says its not worth it my bugget would probably have close to 5000 maybe a little less depends how Christmas goes

Quick Reply: Noobie Needs help picking swap for 99 hatch