Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Del Sol swap thoughts... b16 or k24?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Del Sol swap thoughts... b16 or k24?

Starting out with my beautiful b16a2. Currently rebuilding it and port and polishing the head. Gonna bore it out to 84 mm. Also thinking about putting a turbo on it..

but...

I'm starting to question that maybe I want to do something na.. so I'm thinking of a k24 swap with an adapter to my b series trans.

just needing some pros and cons to my research.

Also going to be using this for scca solo II events and occasional daily driving.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:54 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 219 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Re: 94 Del Sol swap thoughts... b16 or k24?

keep researching. Obviously, you don't have a clue what you're doing.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

lol ^ yep
Old 12-07-2017, 07:05 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by UsernameRequire
Starting out with my beautiful b16a2. Currently rebuilding it and port and polishing the head. Gonna bore it out to 84 mm. Also thinking about putting a turbo on it..

but...

I'm starting to question that maybe I want to do something na.. so I'm thinking of a k24 swap with an adapter to my b series trans.

just needing some pros and cons to my research.

Also going to be using this for scca solo II events and occasional daily driving.
No. Just stay with your B-series. Don't start thinkin'.. You were fine with the 1st thought
Old 12-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, well since you all want to tell me, no, why not tell me WHY. I've seen it done before and I think I am going to do it. Doing a full k24a2 swap in the del sol is honestly a cheaper route for me to go than rebuilding my entire long block for my b16.

Plus, I was just trying to make conversation, not have someone tell me that I'm stupid.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

A full K24A2 swap is one thing... but you cannot connect it to your "B" series transmission. I cannot see how you can do a proper "K" swap cheaper than you can refresh your B16A engine, but the K24A2 swap would certainly be far more enjoyable when finished if a budget was not a concern.

As for calling you stupid... I don't think that is the correct word. Ignorant is probably more fitting... you weren't aware of the compatibility issues related to the engine/transmission combination that you referenced. Had you looked at the two transmissions side by side... even in photos online... you would see that the differential housing is on the opposite side needed for axle placement in your car, because the B16A is a counter-clockwise rotating engine and the K24 is a clockwise rotating engine. Had you looked, I am sure you would have seen this and would not have asked such a question... protecting yourself from feeling silly... or maybe even stupid.

Now, you are no longer even ignorant... because you are well informed on the topic.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
A full K24A2 swap is one thing... but you cannot connect it to your "B" series transmission. I cannot see how you can do a proper "K" swap cheaper than you can refresh your B16A engine, but the K24A2 swap would certainly be far more enjoyable when finished if a budget was not a concern.

As for calling you stupid... I don't think that is the correct word. Ignorant is probably more fitting... you weren't aware of the compatibility issues related to the engine/transmission combination that you referenced. Had you looked at the two transmissions side by side... even in photos online... you would see that the differential housing is on the opposite side needed for axle placement in your car, because the B16A is a counter-clockwise rotating engine and the K24 is a clockwise rotating engine. Had you looked, I am sure you would have seen this and would not have asked such a question... protecting yourself from feeling silly... or maybe even stupid.

Now, you are no longer even ignorant... because you are well informed on the topic.
budget isn't an issue coming to this swap. My del sol has gone from a simple rebuild to a resto mod... figured why not do something cool with it after posting this thread I've priced the build out, and with everything i have to do to the b16, I can swap the k24 in it.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by UsernameRequire
budget isn't an issue coming to this swap. My del sol has gone from a simple rebuild to a resto mod... figured why not do something cool with it after posting this thread I've priced the build out, and with everything i have to do to the b16, I can swap the k24 in it.
Thank you JRCivic1, that was my intent. Lately, I've been lazy with re-stating this information. I've grown rather tired lately, so it may be in everyone's interest if I take off. Not sure if I'm begging add helpful add I've normally been
Old 12-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok... going back to the swap...

I've decided on a k24a2 out of a tsx. Seems to be a good power output for what I want to do and there is still a lot of options to add on to it. I'm still looking for information on the wiring harness on the eg. And conversions. Any where I should look in particular? I'm still looking. But I'm also not asking to be spoonfed.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:34 AM

What you'll find is that the k-series swap, although a more modern approach to NA power, has great engine/transmission availability and resources, has its expensive downside on the accessories and adapters. That's what makes these swaps over $6k alone.

But, since we don't know your budget (and there's no need for detail on your particular situation regarding the budget). We don't know if that is a deal breaker for you.

Sure you want spoon-feeding; we all prefer it if we can get away with it. But here are a couple of places to start your collection of components.

Mil-Spec Tucked K-Series harness Ver. 2 (K2)

http://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/swap-packages.html