Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1994 Honda Del Sol Si, K20A Swap and Turbo

Old 05-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 1994 Honda Del Sol Si, K20A Swap and Turbo

Hi, I just got a '94 Del Sol Si and it has a D16Z6 motor in it which is a little less than I'm looking for. So I want to do a K20A swap and what I was wanting to know was whether a turbo kit would be possible with this swap; I know people have done this swap before and I know they make K20A turbo kits, but will there be enough clearance to install one? Also will it require Forged Rods/ Pistons and head studs to make 250-300 hp? Lastly what year K20A should I get? Thank you anyone who replies; for your help.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1994 Honda Del Sol Si, K20A Swap and Turbo

the only issue is the k20 is quite a bit heavier in this car, for my money the b20/b16 route is pretty simple as you already have the p28 and OBD1 so its half the headache gone. but if your stuck on the k20 then FAQ as its essentially the civic EG bay
Old 05-04-2017, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will look at the FAQ's thanks. From what research I've done most people either said it is lighter than a B series or slightly heavier as in like less than 10 pounds. The reason I want to do a K swap rather than a B is A. More power potential, and B. unless I've twisted my thinking it should be more reliable with a turbo because you would need less boost than say a B series to get to 250-300 and that would put less strain on the engine right? or do I have it all wrong?
Old 05-04-2017, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If your set on 250-300whp I wouldn't even bother going turbo..you could hit 250whp with a k20 n/a. If you want to go turbo lots of ppl do arp head studs and supertech valvetrain and hit 500whp safety with the stock bottom end.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How do you get that much out of it without forced induction, Different cams, bored and a richer air fuel mixture?
Old 05-04-2017, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

So much misinformation going on in this thread...

Originally Posted by x.l.r.8
the only issue is the k20 is quite a bit heavier in this car
The **** are you talking about? That's 100% not true, at all, in the slightest.

Originally Posted by Matthew_156
I will look at the FAQ's thanks. From what research I've done most people either said it is lighter than a B series or slightly heavier as in like less than 10 pounds. The reason I want to do a K swap rather than a B is A. More power potential, and B. unless I've twisted my thinking it should be more reliable with a turbo because you would need less boost than say a B series to get to 250-300 and that would put less strain on the engine right? or do I have it all wrong?
You are correct about the weight, it will come out to being almost identical. You are completely wrong about the engine reliability factor; the rods, bearings, pistons, etc don't care about how much boost your running, only the power. 300WHP is 300WHP whether it's at 7psi or 10.

Originally Posted by ontariorider
If your set on 250-300whp I wouldn't even bother going turbo..you could hit 250whp with a k20 n/a. If you want to go turbo lots of ppl do arp head studs and supertech valvetrain and hit 500whp safety with the stock bottom end.
^This is the best advice so far. For a goal of only 250-300WHP, you could just do bolt ons and headwork for the K20A and likely hit 260+. I'd actually recommend just picking up a K24A2 and doing minor mods like a 45 degree VTC gear, RBC intake, etc. The crate engine would be cheaper, and with complemented bolt ons could make more significantly torque and have a higher ceiling with upgrades.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok thanks for correcting me, I had misinterpreted that more boost was bad, I will look into just doing some head work instead of turboing it
Old 05-04-2017, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
^This is the best advice so far. For a goal of only 250-300WHP, you could just do bolt ons and headwork for the K20A and likely hit 260+. I'd actually recommend just picking up a K24A2 and doing minor mods like a 45 degree VTC gear, RBC intake, etc. The crate engine would be cheaper, and with complemented bolt ons could make more significantly torque and have a higher ceiling with upgrades.
Could you give me a short list of mods i could do? Besides what you already said I.E. VTC gear, and RBC intake. I know I could make more power with a richer Air/Fuel ratio but how rich could I make it with a naturally aspirated motor?
Old 05-04-2017, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could you give me a short list of mods i could do? Besides what you already said I.E. VTC gear, and RBC intake. I know I could make more power with a richer Air/Fuel ratio but how rich could I make it with a naturally aspirated motor?
I'm not saying this to be a dick, but for your own benefit: Before you commit your cash and time to any sort of build, I think you have a lot of research left to do. I'm guessing you already realize this which is why you're asking here. Making an air/fuel ratio more rich doesn't at all guarantee more power, in fact power will start to drop off if the mixture is too rich, in addition to wasting fuel, washing oil off of cylinder walls, etc...

Here is a forum topic on the K20A boards that lists all motor builds and their output. I'd recommend reading through some of this, seeing what other people are doing, and drawing from there where you want to go: Official: Dyno Chart Comparison & Calibration Registry - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Also, if you're set on a K series engine, I would HIGHLY suggest registering an account on K20A and browsing a LOT more on there. There's a huge wealth of information on the K20/K24 engines.

Both a K20 or a K24 would be able to reach your 250+ goals with mild work. Once again, I recommend a K24 just because you have more displacement and a higher overall ceiling to work with. Fully built all motor K24's can reach 300+WHP quite easily.

With just a decent intake (with the VTC gear), exhaust, and camshaft I think 260+ with a MEATY torque band should be expected. Once again, I'd recommend reading on K20A to see what other people have accomplished.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice. See I'm a younger teenager and this will be my first car and I hadn't looked much at it and I though it had a B16A3 in it so I did tons of research on getting that thing to produce the kind of power I wanted and I had it all figured out then I went and looked it and realized it had a D16Z6 so I thought crap. Then I saw a video on youtube of a K swapped Del Sol and I did a little bit of research and found it produces more power stock and it can be retrofitted into a Del Sol. So I haven't done a whole lot of research on it yet I was just wanting to take the easy way out and find out what to do from you guys, but I should probably do more research. I've looked at Hybrid Racing K swap kits and I know it is a bit pricy.
Old 05-04-2017, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...build-3296023/

^^^ peep my turbo k20 eg build i'm on the home stretch.

Started that build a month ago, FAR from a cheap hack job. Skim through, almost done the actual parts buying.

Unless you're ready to spend BIG money, stick with a N/A set up, that'll more than satisfy your goals.

Last edited by B_Swapped93; 05-04-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the advice. See I'm a younger teenager and this will be my first car and I hadn't looked much at it and I though it had a B16A3 in it so I did tons of research on getting that thing to produce the kind of power I wanted and I had it all figured out then I went and looked it and realized it had a D16Z6 so I thought crap. Then I saw a video on youtube of a K swapped Del Sol and I did a little bit of research and found it produces more power stock and it can be retrofitted into a Del Sol. So I haven't done a whole lot of research on it yet I was just wanting to take the easy way out and find out what to do from you guys, but I should probably do more research. I've looked at Hybrid Racing K swap kits and I know it is a bit pricy.
"I just wanted to take the easy way out"

I'm telling you this from my perspective as an 18 year old when I did my first half-cocked car build: Don't do it until you're ready. You need time to learn, time to make MINOR mistakes and take experience from them, before just jumping head first into a full engine swap. Much less a K series swap, which requires spot-drilling out the passenger motor mount and a bit more intricacy than a B-swap. And no offense, but if it took you that long to realize you had a D series instead of a B, you're not ready for a full build or swap.

My serious, honestly best advice to you would be to not repeat the mistakes I MADE at your age (and I'm sure many others on these and other forums). Give yourself time to do minor changes, tune ups, etc, and when you're ready you can REALLY dump your hard earned cash and new experience into a build.

You won't get any significant power out of the D series, but I seriously think you should start by doing minor mods to it just to learn. Something like DC headers, an exhaust (since the exhaust could be used for a B/K as well anyway), and then just learn how to do tune-up things like spark plugs, oil, air filters, etc....

Learn the right way man, don't jump the gun and end up hurting yourself.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You won't get any significant power out of the D series, but I seriously think you should start by doing minor mods to it just to learn. Something like DC headers, an exhaust (since the exhaust could be used for a B/K as well anyway), and then just learn how to do tune-up things like spark plugs, oil, air filters, etc....

Learn the right way man, don't jump the gun and end up hurting yourself.
Gotta x2 this, most will come in here saying don't bother with this or that engine. But you've got to start somewhere, I started with a d16y7 at 18 doing tune up things then moved on to where I i'm now. Spend a little, to learn a lot is how I looked at it, and it paid off. There's so much info out there, that's how I taught myself, hours and hours on end reading and then "doing" took a while tho.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i

Last edited by Matthew_156; 05-10-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 01:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah thanks for your advise guys. It will be at least another year before i would have anywhere close to the money required for this; Im 15 at the moment and all I'm doing is collecting my thoughts and I'm wanting to have this all planned out so when I do eventually do it I know what I need and also what all is involved. So I'm not going to start this now I'm just trying to get my facts straight on this whole build. Also for the D16Z6 thing, see it is buried in the garage basically there is only room to barely squeeze around it so I hadn't got a good look at it, really all I had known was, it was a 1994 Del Sol with a vtec model engine in it. So the first one I had come across when doing research was the B16A3. Also I forgot to add my dad is very mechanically inclined and he would help me if I got into a pickle. Also B-swapped I looked at your build, very nice.
Cool deal man, you have a lot of time then to make progress. Also props on being 15 with good grammar and properly using semicolons
Old 05-05-2017, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Could one of you guys tell me why you would do a K24 Block and a K20 Head? I looked it up but all I could find were guides I couldn't find why you would do it. Is it because the K24 block has a higher displacement and the K20 head has better air flow than the K24 head?
Old 05-05-2017, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's exactly it..same idea as a b20vtec.

If your on a budget and want to keep things simple get a complete k24a2 out of an 06-08 tsx, it has the best flowing head out of all the k24's. Ppl will change the vtc gear and oil pump from the k20 also. Like was stated spend some time on k20a.org and go through some build threads.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, I'm reading an article on Hybrid Racing's website about these hybrid motors, they are pretty interesting. So would a Hybrid engine make more hp without modification than a K20A?
Old 05-05-2017, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright, I'm reading an article on Hybrid Racing's website about these hybrid motors, they are pretty interesting. So would a Hybrid engine make more hp without modification than a K20A?
I'm not entirely sure about peak horsepower, it would probably be close. The K24 build would have a tonne more torque though, and a meatier midrange. If you're intending on daily driving the car, the K24 would be more rewarding simply due to the fact that while you're cruising around in the low/mid RPM, you'll have more power as opposed to a 2 litre where you'd have to rev it out a bit harder to get the juice going.

And yeah, what Ontariorider said is correct (and what you were thinking about the better flowing K20 heads). The exception is the K24A2, which flows about the same as a K20/Type-S head. The TSX(K24A2) camshafts between years 06-08 (I think) are also the most aggressive, best OEM camshafts for the car. Even better than the Type-R K series I think...

A straight K24A2 swap would probably be the most cost effective, best reward yielding K swap.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not entirely sure about peak horsepower, it would probably be close. The K24 build would have a tonne more torque though, and a meatier midrange. If you're intending on daily driving the car, the K24 would be more rewarding simply due to the fact that while you're cruising around in the low/mid RPM, you'll have more power as opposed to a 2 litre where you'd have to rev it out a bit harder to get the juice going.

And yeah, what Ontariorider said is correct (and what you were thinking about the better flowing K20 heads). The exception is the K24A2, which flows about the same as a K20/Type-S head. The TSX(K24A2) camshafts between years 06-08 (I think) are also the most aggressive, best OEM camshafts for the car. Even better than the Type-R K series I think...

A straight K24A2 swap would probably be the most cost effective, best reward yielding K swap.
Ok I will look into K24's because it would be a daily driver and the hp would be useless to me if it couldn't be used much in low/mid range rpm.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All K series transmissions could work with any K series motor correct? If so would it be worth getting a K20 type R transmission for the LSD part of it? http://www.hybrid-racing.com/blog/k-...mission-guide/ The K24A2 and K20A transmissions have the same first gear ratio but different ones after that; which transmission's gear ratios would be better?
Old 05-05-2017, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All K series transmissions could work with any K series motor correct? If so would it be worth getting a K20 type R transmission for the LSD part of it? K-series Transmission Guide. | Hybrid Racing The K24A2 and K20A transmissions have the same first gear ratio but different ones after that; which transmission's gear ratios would be better?
The LSD in the K20A transmission (Type-R) would be nice, but it also has a 5.0 final drive ratio which would be a bit too short for the RPM range of the K24, and probably a bit obnoxious for daily driving.

Check out the K20Z3 transmission (transmission code PNN4). They come in 06+ Civic Si. They have an LSD, good gear ratios, and a 4.7 ratio final drive which would be ideal.

And yes, any K series engine can use any K series transmission.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I'll look into the K20Z3 transmission thanks for the information.