Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16 into a 94 del sol

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 into a 94 del sol

Too afraid to try to do the swap myself.

how much $ Labor am i looking at?
Old 06-24-2006, 10:55 PM

Dude I have about as much mechanic experience as Lindsay Lohan, and I'm almost done doing my swap 95% solo, only had MINOR help.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Essenar83)

yeah im thinking i could probably do it.

But this car is also my daily driver and im not trying to be stuck on the side of the road, you know?
Old 06-24-2006, 10:57 PM

Labor on a swap your looking at about 2 hours for pulling old motor out. And 2 hours putting new motor in. @ anywhere from 80$ an hour to 110$ an hour. So roughly about 320$ - 440$ for everything
Old 06-24-2006, 10:59 PM

Default Re: (JdelMsolG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JdelMsolG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah im thinking i could probably do it.

But this car is also my daily driver and im not trying to be stuck on the side of the road, you know?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have all the tools, which I can list here and you bought the entire swap from Hmotorsonline, you could have it done in a week. Just buy a bus pass honestly. You'll spend 40$ on a bus pass, 100-150 to get the swap done, and save yourself 300-500$ from doing it yourself that you can spend to take that hot asian chick out on a date.

Trust me, it's worth it!

The only reason my swap is taking 2-3 weeks total is because I didn't buy a complete swap. I bought a powerplant from a wrecked GSR and had to replace a **** ton of small parts.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha bus pass...i wish

i live in a small **** town in georgia, no public transportation.

do you guys have any advice when it comes to where to buy an engine swap from?

not many junkyards to choose from here, so it looks like i'll be ordering online.

and thanks for your replies.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:24 PM

Default Re: (JdelMsolG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JdelMsolG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha bus pass...i wish

i live in a small **** town in georgia, no public transportation.

do you guys have any advice when it comes to where to buy an engine swap from?

not many junkyards to choose from here, so it looks like i'll be ordering online.

and thanks for your replies.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A lot of people are gonna jump the gun and suggest Hmotorsonline.

Don't do that, right away.

Recently I've heard mixed reviews about Hmotorsonline, and there's a lot of biased jackasses running around on H-T. They got their motor from Steve and suddenly just because they got it good means he NEVER COMMITS A SIN or something, which is ******* retarded.

Try not to get caught up with hype like that.

Look around, a lot. Try to find a California reseller that sells swaps cheap with cheap shipping, but ask for digital pictures of the actual swap you'd get and what guarantees they have. Ask not what parts it DOES come with, but rather what parts it doesn't come with. I'm talking every part- Header bolts, mount bolts, any brackets, everything. You could easily get stumped having to spend 1500 on small **** just because you're missing a mount, a sensor and your VSS is broken or your knock sensor is busted.

Try searching for JHP-Usa, password-jdm, hmotorsonline, nippon motors, import salvage. Check the link in "Hybrid forum" about where people get motors. Get quotes, tell people when you found a cheaper price, ask what packages you can get.

Search classifieds, check THIS market place, look for local deals, hondaswap.com, clubsi.com... Try everywhere, don't limit yourself. Also pick up a parts trader, some newspapers. If someone is selling THEIR swap, watch out for shady information or gaps like "I don't know how much milage was on it" or "It's missing the VIN tag". Ask for a compression test, smog papers or paperwork for the donor car.

When you check out the engine if you see it in person, look for any "unfilled" screw holes, missing bolts, missing hoses, scratches, dents, wear/tear.

If you need anything else, my AIM is sonikemcee.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks alot man.