Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Why you should solder and tape/heatshrink your connections

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI: "Another Reason why Apexi VAFCs SUCK"

The metal splice clips that come with the kit will ground out you re wiring.... I was driving to work today and I noticed a slight cutoff when I was in 4th gear vtec at high rpm ,,,,, well made it to work after I was off and driving home a riced out POS cavalier came up like he wanted to race well he like flew up to my *** (i quess maybe he did not know I had a H22 Vtec) but anyway I pulled like a dragster away from his POS quess what the car started to lose power again and would cutoff well my check engine light popped on so I slowed down and these cavalier dips rev up and slow down like they wanted to pull on me and they take off so I quess they thought their cavalier was the **** just having kicked a Preludes ***.. well i get it home and take a look at the MIL check the code through the paperclip method and quess what TPS code 7 well I pull my ecu and take a look at the wiring sure enough the little metal splice clips was still on the red/ blk tps wire using satans wire pin out codes ---- I cut the little splice connector and used a female to female insulated wire connector .10 cents from a hardware store ( with the neg. battery cable unpluged) and shazzam I have not more grounding out tps. took her for a test drive and all I can say is the Vtec sounds sooooo awesome on an H22 ----
So if any of you which I am sure that you do have issues with the ecu grounding out due to vafc check the little splice connectors .......
Old 10-25-2004, 09:20 PM
spnbb2

im confused.. you did a faulty install?

all i did was solder the wires in and shrink wrap them. you left an exposed wire/metal touching exposed wire and you blame it on the vafc?
Old 10-25-2004, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spnbb2)

naw i wish i would have done the install I paid some shitty shop to do a faulty install and left me who knew nothing about ecu pinout wiring to fiqure it out on my own.... they suck it is also the same place I had it dynoed at --- dynotjet 248 I believe --- i live in a state where there is not very many good tuner shops especially for imports .... but HONDATA is where it is at and I am having a great custom setup done for my car --- I believe anytime you start opening wires up that run to the ecu then that is just asking for all kinds of trouble .....
Old 10-26-2004, 07:01 AM

Default Re: (specialedition)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by specialedition &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FYI: "Another Reason why Apexi VAFCs SUCK" </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm still trying to figure out why they suck if the only thing wrong was your redneck install...
Old 10-26-2004, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BrokeLude)

APEXI VAFCs and SFCs = CRAP
ask anybody that uses hondata &gt; then apexis crap
one is a real fuel map tuning the other is a toy device used to fool the map sensor
plus you end up with ecu wiring that looks like a bird nest and none of you brokelude or spnbb2 (which is like a joke since spoon only makes things for the civic and integra) can tell me that you re ecu wiring looks perfect and that it will not eventually ground out at some point during you driving it -- it is physics
Old 10-26-2004, 07:41 AM

Personally, I wouldn't buy one. However, any monkey with a soldering iron can make a good electrical connection that will never give you problems. Don't know what physics has to do with it not being connected right and protected. Maybe evolution, but not physics...

My point was that just because some jackass screwed up your install doesn't mean that a particular product is bad for that reason, as you imply.

By the way, in all seriousness I'd recommend you read up a little on electrical work and do your own. Troubleshooting can be a pain and is sometimes best left to somebody that really knows their ****, but basic install isn't that hard. The problem is that your average Jim Bob down at the corner garage will not care about how your VAFC, alarm, stereo, or whatever is wired as long as it works at the time and you pay him. It can take a few minutes longer to wire it right, but it's worth it, and the only one who will wire your car right without charging a premium is you...
Old 10-26-2004, 08:35 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (BrokeLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrokeLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Troubleshooting can be a pain and is sometimes best left to somebody that really knows their ****, but basic install isn't that hard. The problem is that your average Jim Bob down at the corner garage will not care about how your VAFC, alarm, stereo, or whatever is wired as long as it works at the time and you pay him. It can take a few minutes longer to wire it right, but it's worth it, and the only one who will wire your car right without charging a premium is you...</TD></TR></TABLE>

nicely said
Old 10-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Elkins911)

good point the best work that has been done on my car has been me doing it taking my time etc the shop that did my work is suppose to be very very good tuner shop like the only one we have here beside jotech and they are in dallas ---- it was just a pain in the *** though I had to do several things to the car since they had it ---- the ac hose was rubbing into the metal raditor support bracket so I had to cut the bracket and file it down so it would not rub, the dist. cap wires plugs where broke so I had to get a new harness and zip tie them down to thier bracket, the external iginition coil was left on top of the tranny so I custom made a bracket to fit it off the battery tie down close to the distributor, the Vafc was wired like sheat so I had to rewire that up, also the vtec pressure was not wired to the ecu, the vtec was but no pressure, I knew not what a VAFC was or how it was wired up or that they would have to cut into my ecu wiring but I do now and I was a noooobie to this so I discovered honda tech and found all the info on pinouts and vafc wiring here... I paid that shop over 1200 dollars in labor and I would have better off doing it myself but since I do not have a lift I was left to my own devices....

the vafc is a neat toy and that is all I am saying blaming it for all my grounding issues is not right I quess I blame the shop as well but It would be better if they developed a straight plug in device to the ecu so you would not have to cut into it to begin with .... I am just lucky that it was knowledge that I have learned through boards and other places that saved this TPS from blowing since I already lost one due to wiring issues.... I wish I would have gone with hondata and a/f , oil pressure gauages to begin with then I would not have been in this shape now but you live and learn
Old 10-26-2004, 03:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I beleive this thread should be retitled..."Why you should solder and tape/heatshrink your connections"