Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Why isn't the prelude popular?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why isn't the prelude popular?

How about we just ignore him. That's what I've been doing. I've already shown a million flaws in his thought or lack thereof. We normal civilized people will speak to each other and discuss the Prelude, its perks and its flaws without any noise from the peanut gallery known as bsmith100.

I mean, he can continue to preach his garbage but that doesn't mean we have to respond. After all, he's just one of those "last comment" kind of douchebags.

So how about we just don't respond to anything he has to say at all

Oh, and we can only refer to him in the third person.

So, about the Prelude... Any comments?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PRELUDE
<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
Old 03-22-2010, 09:57 AM
TRIAL USER

Just bought a black 97 base prelude and i love it so far i thought i was gunna be a lil disappointed coming from my 02 wrx (friend wrecked it) to the prelude but i wasnt at all and im looking forward to modding and improving the car
Old 03-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually I've been very active on this thread because I'm trying to pick up my first Prelude this Wednesday or Thursday. I never thought about them before because I never got a chance to. They are so dismissed and forgotten by everyone I guess people forgot that they actually really pack a punch. I was thinking about just fixing up my '99 EX coupe (drunk driver screwed up my bumper and fender) and swapping in something, but...

If I can just get a 'lude, then all the better. It doesn't *need* a swap. It's like it already comes with one LOL.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Korman
Actually I've been very active on this thread because I'm trying to pick up my first Prelude this Wednesday or Thursday. I never thought about them before because I never got a chance to. They are so dismissed and forgotten by everyone I guess people forgot that they actually really pack a punch. I was thinking about just fixing up my '99 EX coupe (drunk driver screwed up my bumper and fender) and swapping in something, but...

If I can just get a 'lude, then all the better. It doesn't *need* a swap. It's like it already comes with one LOL.
this is true...
and if you mod clean, you'll have a much sleeker sportier looking car in the end.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish I had pictures of the coupe before the accident. That thing was mint. I actually got hit 2 days after everything went through. I literally *just* bought it.

It sucks, but **** happens. Odd thing is that my insurance (you read that right, mine - bastard was not only drunk, but also didn't have insurance) gave me more then what I paid for the car *and* let me keep the car... so I'm selling it to the highest bidder. A friend is buying it off of me for $1,000 and I'll just add that to the Prelude fund.

Last edited by Korman; 03-22-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: ambigious
Old 03-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've already shown a million flaws in his thought or lack thereof.
Aren't you the guy who used "data" from his Playstation and called it "scientific" research? You didn't prove anything with that.

bsmith, you are so incredibly retarded it is fascinating. Someone should keep you and conduct scientific studies on you.
By the way, you really showed how well mannered you are with posts like this. You couldn't come up with any real data so you had to resort to this.

Posts like that are why I decided to leave. However that doesn't mean I won't stop by every now and then to remind everybody of your foolishness.

They are so dismissed and forgotten by everyone I guess people forgot that they actually really pack a punch.
Only if you punch like a girl - like you.

Last edited by Dogginator; 03-23-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Why is this thread 9 pages long?
Old 03-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jnv255
Why is this thread 9 pages long?
because of me (seriously)

Anyway, look at all the entertainment you got for free.

Originally Posted by csadams
Really though the camaro is much more money so if you use that amount of cash to buy and improve a prelude the cars become that much more comparable.
No it isn't, the MSRP of the 2001 Camaro z28 was $21,875 for the base car with cloth seats and a steel roof. It comes stock with a limited slip differential. Not to mention all the thousands of dollars in incentives always available on GM cars.

The 2001 Prelude was $23,600 for the standard model (without a limited slip diff), and more for the SH model.

Prelude owners don't seem to like to print the facts.

Or maybe they don't know the facts.

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
werd... they are fueled by awesomeness and are the best autoX racers on the planet!
You realize of course that I never said anything remotely like this, and... autocross (cone dodging) is the lamest form of "racing" out there.

Last edited by Dogginator; 03-23-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're aware that you can respond to EVERYONE in a single post, right? There's just no cause for 4 posts in a row. Get a clue and soon.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Trying to get the post counts up huh?
Old 03-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kronn 98SH
You're aware that you can respond to EVERYONE in a single post, right? There's just no cause for 4 posts in a row. Get a clue and soon.
Do you know how LONG that single post would have been?

Originally Posted by meanshyguy
Now don't come here comparing Corvettes and Vipers with a Prelude, that is just ridiculous, look at the price difference, those kind of comments are the ones you usually hear at the highschool cafeteria.
Lastly, don't come here comparing under-engineered, heavy ***, cheaply built, un-reliable older muscle cars with the Ludes either, use common sense, cuz I've spanked them often, now that I'm older I just let them pass by me with their stupid smile, and make a full of themselves.
This thread is turning into an infinite loop.

You say you can't compare a Prelude to Corvette or Viper because of the price difference. Except... Camaros, Mustangs and Preludes cost about the same. However, the Camaro and Mustang are frequently raced in the same classes with Corvettes, Vipers, Porsches and other similar cars.

The other thing the Prelude boys like to talk about is how primitive the technology in the Camaro and Mustang are, except despite the primitive technology they are able to keep pace with Corvettes, Vipers, Porsches and similar.

You don't have to take my word for it. Turn on the Speed Channel and watch some World Challenge, ALMS, or Grand Am races.

That in the end is why the Prelude isn't more popular. You can get a car with far more potential for the same cost. The Camaros and Mustangs that are used in the pro racing series I listed above are not exactly stock. However, they do have that kind of potential in them.

Last edited by Dogginator; 03-23-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:19 AM
TRIAL USER

i like seeing 1 prelude on the road vs 50 civics that passes by daily. It's rare~
Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

A Camaro is pretty primitive compared to a Corvette. Every car can go faster with some work. Worked Preludes can hang with Camaros, like worked Camaros can hang with Corvettes.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:39 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bsmith100 needs to learn to multi-quote.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dogginator
bsmith100 needs to learn to multi-quote.
I wish he Multi-Quoted me......I guess I crushed his collar bones with the weight I dropped on him.

Autocross a lame form of racing? While its not my choice, I think that statement is out of line.
I'd love to giggle at you guys that think you can drive as fast as those guys/girls do......
Some Pro Drivers started autoX'ing.....Just look at Jason Saini.....a few years "lame-racing" then off to Miata Spec, now he races for Mazda.

(Name calling removed. Keep it civil. -Dogginator)

Last edited by Dogginator; 03-23-2010 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Auto-x is lame? wow.. lol
that ***** a blast for anyone who doesnt have time or cash to support a full on racing habit in a league.

so by that theory.. playing football or baseball with friends is lame. (why dont those lame-o's just all go play pro-sports)

LULz

by the way, we dont "dodge cones" at our track. the only thing barricaded off is the entrance to the track after it starts. its an Actual course.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Has this really turned into an AutoX hate thread now?!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I can answer the theads question from an outside perspective, since I dont own a prelude. And im talking only about 4th and 5th gen preludes.

1.) Cost. Brand new they were more expensive than Civic/Integra, and still today 5th gens run pretty high compared to similar year Civic/Integra. This is the major factor since its much more appealing to spend $3k on a decent Civic/Integra and use the rest for mods than to shell out $5-$7k for a decent prelude.

2.) Weight. If the cost didnt get you, its the weight. 5th gens weight 3000 lbs. Compare that to the Civics, 2200-2600 lbs, or the Integra, around 2400-2600. I dont care how much you want to say it, but 500 pounds makes a huge difference, even if the H22 has the torque to handle it.

3.) Engine/Tranny. Some 4th gen and all 5th gens use the H22. 200HP and like 150+ tq. Good motor. But the tranny gearing has limited choices, and most people say H trannies are sluggish. You also have to deal with the FRM sleeves which limits your aftermarket piston choices, which also limits the possibility of forced induction and all motor builds. So right from the start modding the H22 gets expensive. And there are no swaps for preludes except other H or F motors. Civics/Integras can use D,B,H,K, and even V6 swaps. The choices of motors make modding less expensive and easier.

Those are the major reasons most people pick the Civic/Integra over the Preludes. But that doesnt mean its a bad car. The stock H22 prelude is one of the fastest stock Honda FWD cars. Its one of the best handling cars too. Its built better than Civics/Integras also. But most people look at cost first, engine second, so they choose before they get to the good points of the prelude.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cbaber
I can answer the theads question from an outside perspective, since I dont own a prelude. And im talking only about 4th and 5th gen preludes.

1.) Cost. Brand new they were more expensive than Civic/Integra, and still today 5th gens run pretty high compared to similar year Civic/Integra. This is the major factor since its much more appealing to spend $3k on a decent Civic/Integra and use the rest for mods than to shell out $5-$7k for a decent prelude.

2.) Weight. If the cost didnt get you, its the weight. 5th gens weight 3000 lbs. Compare that to the Civics, 2200-2600 lbs, or the Integra, around 2400-2600. I dont care how much you want to say it, but 500 pounds makes a huge difference, even if the H22 has the torque to handle it.

3.) Engine/Tranny. Some 4th gen and all 5th gens use the H22. 200HP and like 150+ tq. Good motor. But the tranny gearing has limited choices, and most people say H trannies are sluggish. You also have to deal with the FRM sleeves which limits your aftermarket piston choices, which also limits the possibility of forced induction and all motor builds. So right from the start modding the H22 gets expensive. And there are no swaps for preludes except other H or F motors. Civics/Integras can use D,B,H,K, and even V6 swaps. The choices of motors make modding less expensive and easier.

Those are the major reasons most people pick the Civic/Integra over the Preludes. But that doesnt mean its a bad car. The stock H22 prelude is one of the fastest stock Honda FWD cars. Its one of the best handling cars too. Its built better than Civics/Integras also. But most people look at cost first, engine second, so they choose before they get to the good points of the prelude.
Agreed 100%. Some would also argue that the door wedge look hurts it as well.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally hate the way 4th gens look, but love 5th gens. I am actually considering selling my GSR to get a prelude. Im sick of cheap interiors and cars that have been raped by kids. The preludes around here never have damage, have never been modded except for a few, and are always clean looking. These days you cant find a stock civic/integra that isnt a 4 door. So I think I might be happier with my heavy, expensive prelude lol.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bsmith100

No it isn't, the MSRP of the 2001 Camaro z28 was $21,875 for the base car with cloth seats and a steel roof. It comes stock with a limited slip differential. Not to mention all the thousands of dollars in incentives always available on GM cars.

The 2001 Prelude was $23,600 for the standard model (without a limited slip diff), and more for the SH model.

Prelude owners don't seem to like to print the facts.

Or maybe they don't know the facts.
So you have established that a Japanese import is more expensive than a locally made GM tank of a car, no surprise I guess. But the fact that muscle car owners don't seem to like is the fact that their 5.7L V8 (Eg. LT1 out of a 4th gen Y-body Camaro puts out a whopping 220kw and 450-460nm but that is out of a 5.7L engine) are very inefficient. Compare that to a 4th gen Prelude, 200hp and 218nm out of a 2.2L engine. Some how V8's never seem to reach the target (5.7L should yield 550nm plus!!!). And I wont go into the weight difference between the two cars (1.8 ton vs 1.3ton). Thus you get better bang for per liter out of a prelude.

Originally Posted by bsmith100
This thread is turning into an infinite loop.

That in the end is why the Prelude isn't more popular. You can get a car with far more potential for the same cost. The Camaros and Mustangs that are used in the pro racing series I listed above are not exactly stock. However, they do have that kind of potential in them.
Depends on what you want to fork out on fuel costs. Yes its nice to have raw V8 power but not when you need to fill up for gas every time you drive! Naturally if fuel isn't an issue and you just want a high torque figure then a V8 is the way to roll.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cbaber
I personally hate the way 4th gens look, but love 5th gens. I am actually considering selling my GSR to get a prelude.lol.
Says the guy with a Bug-Eyed front end!

People swap the JDM front end on to make it look like a Prelude front end. Why else would someone waste $2500 on it.
4G Prelude envy!
Old 03-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because pretty much everyone that doesn't own one, has never seen the JUN Super Lemon Prelude running the Touge on a Best Motoring DVD [/end thread]
Old 03-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GlassJAw

Because pretty much everyone that doesn't own one, has never seen the JUN Super Lemon Prelude running the Touge on a Best Motoring DVD [/end thread]
A little late....But um yeah!

Quick Reply: Why isn't the prelude popular?