Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Why isn't the prelude popular?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Why isn't the prelude popular?

Originally Posted by NirVTEC
Says the guy with a Bug-Eyed front end!

People swap the JDM front end on to make it look like a Prelude front end. Why else would someone waste $2500 on it.
4G Prelude envy!
i agree with the integra front end swap, but....

but 5th > 4th
dont hurt me!

although i like both and would drive either one!.

4ths are faster though
Old 03-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BB1 H22A LUDE
So you have established that a Japanese import is more expensive than a locally made GM tank of a car, no surprise I guess. But the fact that muscle car owners don't seem to like is the fact that their 5.7L V8 (Eg. LT1 out of a 4th gen Y-body Camaro puts out a whopping 220kw and 450-460nm but that is out of a 5.7L engine) are very inefficient. Compare that to a 4th gen Prelude, 200hp and 218nm out of a 2.2L engine. Some how V8's never seem to reach the target (5.7L should yield 550nm plus!!!). And I wont go into the weight difference between the two cars (1.8 ton vs 1.3ton). Thus you get better bang for per liter out of a prelude.
If fuel economy and displacement were the same thing you'd have a point. But realistically that's not always the case. Compare, say, the EPA ratings of an 6 speed S2000 vs a 6 speed Corvette. In the end displacement really isn't what people should care about - power, fuel economy, weight, size are what matter.

bsmith makes some good points about autocross.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Preludes aren't as popular because they're more expensive and, in my opinion, harder to find (less of them were produced). I owned a 1988 4WS Lude as my first car, and have loved these cars (except the 4th gen) ever since...which is why I bought a Type SH last year.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peacekpr
Preludes aren't as popular because they're more expensive and, in my opinion, harder to find (less of them were produced). I owned a 1988 4WS Lude as my first car, and have loved these cars (except the 4th gen) ever since...which is why I bought a Type SH last year.
I understand the Older Brother Type jealousy that 5G owners have for the 4G.

*LAUGHS* as this NOW turns into a 4G vs 5G thread...

1) Prelude vs CivTeg
2) Prelude vs Camaro
3) Prelude vs ShifterKart
4) AutoX vs RR/W2W
5) 4th Gen vs 5th gen

Whats next? People who own 92s talking about the Sex Blocker back seat? Get a room kidz!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another reason why the Prelude was less popular when it was new - The lack of marketing and advertising for the car.

The last Prelude commercial I remember seeing was for the 1991 model with 4 wheel steering. I can't remember seeing another Prelude commercial since then. Only Honda is to blame for that.

I see a lot of car commercials since I watch a lot of auto racing and sports in general. Car commercials are all over that type of television programming.

There probably were later Prelude commercials, but none of them were memorable enough for me to recall.

Anyway, there is no doubt that the Prelude didn't have anywhere close to the kind of advertising that some of the other Hondas had. That probably contributed to the lack of "casual" buyers.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heavy
Old 03-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by A Blue Lude
If fuel economy and displacement were the same thing you'd have a point. But realistically that's not always the case. Compare, say, the EPA ratings of an 6 speed S2000 vs a 6 speed Corvette. In the end displacement really isn't what people should care about - power, fuel economy, weight, size are what matter.

bsmith makes some good points about autocross.
Exactly, the Corvette gets decent mileage thanks to the gearing.

The Camaro also got "reasonable" highway mileage thanks to the 6th gear.

The V8 in the Camaro isn't exactly space age technology, but it gets the job done.

The worst thing about autocross is that I think it actually discourages people from getting involved in real racing. People try an autocross event and start to think that all forms of racing involve waiting around all day to get maybe 10 minutes of track time. Then they get bored, discouraged and quit all forms of organized racing.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Says the guy with a Bug-Eyed front end!

People swap the JDM front end on to make it look like a Prelude front end. Why else would someone waste $2500 on it.
4G Prelude envy!
Im pretty sure they swap to the JDM front end to look like the JDM integra and integra type R. I would never do it because I like the bug eye look better, and I hate all this "JDM" crap.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

My input would be... The prelude was not a "main" car in the very first fast and furious with body kits and neon. They were not exposed to "ricers" as much, haha. Just kidddin. horrible input.
GO PRELUDES WOO haha
Old 03-23-2010, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xxANDERSONxx
My input would be... The prelude was not a "main" car in the very first fast and furious with body kits and neon.
"I live my life one quarter-mile at a time..."
Old 03-23-2010, 07:56 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by bsmith100
ha! i was rollin around town with my friend in his Z,(this was about a year or so ago) this 2001 civic ex bone stock pulls up, they roll down the window and quote on quote, "...first one to the tracks and back" there wasn't even and tracks near us! course we blew him away we come back and see him in the parking lot at a gas station and at first we had no idea what "...first one to the tracks and back" meant lol we were just runnin him, so we went back and asked he's all, "...yeah.. uhh, thats just from a movie I saw." bahahah funniest thing ever
Old 03-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Another reason why the Prelude was less popular when it was new - The lack of marketing and advertising for the car.

The last Prelude commercial I remember seeing was for the 1991 model with 4 wheel steering. I can't remember seeing another Prelude commercial since then. Only Honda is to blame for that.

I see a lot of car commercials since I watch a lot of auto racing and sports in general. Car commercials are all over that type of television programming.

There probably were later Prelude commercials, but none of them were memorable enough for me to recall.

Anyway, there is no doubt that the Prelude didn't have anywhere close to the kind of advertising that some of the other Hondas had. That probably contributed to the lack of "casual" buyers.

Are you kidding??
h t t p : / /w w w.y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = Q u MS b v 9 J Y p I

Aryton Senna - F1 World champion was featured in a few 4th gen prelude commercials, this is also the guy that helped design and improve the NSX! There are no other commercials needed after that, hah
Old 03-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Reasons I always hear Preludes Aren't Popular..

1)Heavy
2)In Heavy chasis Motors at times come off Over taxed
3)Engines can't take boost well (This has been proven wrong)
4) A bitch to work on.

I don't agree with em at all, I think Preludes are pretty cool albeit they aren't bya long shot my favorite Honda Model.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by autoluder
Are you kidding??
h t t p : / /w w w.y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = Q u MS b v 9 J Y p I

Aryton Senna - F1 World champion was featured in a few 4th gen prelude commercials, this is also the guy that helped design and improve the NSX! There are no other commercials needed after that, hah
Are you sure those commercials were not for the European market only? I can't remember seeing any of those.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xxANDERSONxx
ha! i was rollin around town with my friend in his Z,(this was about a year or so ago) this 2001 civic ex bone stock pulls up, they roll down the window and quote on quote, "...first one to the tracks and back" there wasn't even and tracks near us! course we blew him away we come back and see him in the parking lot at a gas station and at first we had no idea what "...first one to the tracks and back" meant lol we were just runnin him, so we went back and asked he's all, "...yeah.. uhh, thats just from a movie I saw." bahahah funniest thing ever
So you mean haven't actually seen the first "the Fast and the Furious" film, or you just didn't recognize the quote at the time?
Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you sure those commercials were not for the European market only? I can't remember seeing any of those.
there are lots of old prelude comercials on you tube, but could mostly not by US market, also you got to remember marketing and advertising was not as huge as it is today..

Plus if you got something that everyone knows is good you dont need to advertise..ha
Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Spoon enignes with T66 turbos and Motech Systems exhaust? No can T66 engine Spoon!

The car was never meant to be mass marketed. It was an AutoShow/Word-of-Mouth car.
Anybody that I know that bought a New Prelude, saw the car somewhere on the street or at the Auto Show, and was completely shocked after driving it. Considering your OTHER Honda option at the time was a Gutless Civic with 125hp or Torqueless Teg with a pinch more.....
The Teg wasn't much cheaper, and less of a car IMO.
B series FTL
Old 03-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think any car company goes to the vast expense of designing and building a car without wanting it to be mass marketed. They obviously want to sell cars, so the more people that know about it the better.

Maybe you would have seen more of these cars on the street if they had done a better job of advertising. That would have really helped with the sales to the casual buyers, like the people who decided to buy cars with the automatic gearbox.

Last edited by bsmith100; 03-24-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand the Older Brother Type jealousy that 5G owners have for the 4G.

*LAUGHS* as this NOW turns into a 4G vs 5G thread...
we like the 4th gens....
i like them more then 1st and 2nd gen!
Old 03-25-2010, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think any car company goes to the vast expense of designing and building a car without wanting it to be mass marketed. They obviously want to sell cars, so the more people that know about it the better.

Maybe you would have seen more of these cars on the street if they had done a better job of advertising. That would have really helped with the sales to the casual buyers, like the people who decided to buy cars with the automatic gearbox.
They did a good job advertising the snuggie, but that doesn't mean I bought one.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

They did a good job advertising the snuggie, but that doesn't mean I bought one.
if somebody buys a car b/c of a commercial... well i dont need to say what they are.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
if somebody buys a car b/c of a commercial... well i dont need to say what they are.
just call them bsmiths, LOL...
Old 03-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
How much different is seeing it on a commercial from reading a review in a car magazine or seeing it on the street? Either way it is not the same thing as driving it or experiencing it for themselves.

The whole idea of advertising is to let people know that it is out there. Then they check it out. The commercial is really only to generate interest in the product. It might actually sell the car to some people. In the end, for most buyers it is the car that sells itself.

What makes you think that the advertising is what would sell me on a car? If anything I would look at actual race results and lap times... You know the stuff that all you Prelude enthusiasts can't produce for me.

However, for all the people who don't really care about cars that much and simply want something "cool", the advertising could definitely have helped to generate interest.

I keep hearing how the Prelude wasn't meant for "mass appeal", because it was such a drivers car. That is not true. If it was, then why was it also offered with an automatic?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

However, you were aware that it was out there. People in this thread have said that when some people see their Prelude, they have no idea what type of car it is.

So that is an obvious failure by Honda of letting people know the car was available and out there. That is what advertising is for.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hate how people are always complaining about the "weight of the prelude" when the newer civics are 3000lbs and still only have 200hp. They also are very close dimensionally to the 4th and 5th gen. 100.4 in wheel base and a 174 inch overall length.
The new Civic is why we can't have a Prelude ever again. Its already a Prelude(just uglier).

Quick Reply: Why isn't the prelude popular?