Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

What kind of exhaust should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of exhaust should I get?

Hey guys, I just got a 95 prelude SI and I'm new to the modifying business. I know I want to mod my exhaust and am looking to the experienced guys to help me out here. I DO NOT want a loud annoying sound that gets worse as the revs go up. I want a sound that is deep and menecingly low when the revs are low and almost totally disappears as the revs go up. I don't know if I'm describing it correctly but hopefully you guys know what I'm talking abt. What kind of exhaust should I get? Not too concerned abt performance, as long as it is better than stock, so the cheaper the better. Also, where is the best place to get it done (cheapest/best service/won't screw you over) in the LA area (Alhambra to be exact)? Oh yeah, I'm also looking to tint my windows and maybe get new rims. So where's the best place for those? All info is much appreciated!
Old 01-13-2003, 11:01 PM

Default Re: What kind of exhaust should I get? (another_preluder)

I have the HKS sport exhaust and I am very impressed with it. Nice deep sound that can set off alarms but still pretty quiet at highway speeds. looks kinda stock...single outlet. Gives pretty good low end torque too. Check optauto for price. I got mine for $475 at a local tuner shop.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What kind of exhaust should I get? (another_preluder)

Ithink the sound part really depends on ur specific engine, for example, a civic engine will never sound like a mustang 5.0 loud as hell ****. Dont focus so much on sound when looking at exhaust, look at weight/price/power output. But even so, the price of a brand name exhaust never outweighs its small amount of HP increase on a lightly modded all motor car. Ihave greddy Evo on a 93 vtec, dunno bout its heavy *** weight and massive pipe tho.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:03 AM

Default Re: What kind of exhaust should I get? (homesauce)

Ithink the sound part really depends on ur specific engine, for example, a civic engine will never sound like a mustang 5.0 loud as hell ****. Dont focus so much on sound when looking at exhaust, look at weight/price/power output. But even so, the price of a brand name exhaust never outweighs its small amount of HP increase on a lightly modded all motor car. Ihave greddy Evo on a 93 vtec, dunno bout its heavy *** weight and massive pipe tho.
huh, don't focus on sound. that's about the only difference between the name brand exhuasts besides look. They all cost around $500 of course some are cheaper like the apexi ws, they all are within a few lbs of each other as far as weight is concerned, not like an extra 5lbs is gonna make a difference anyway, the name brand stuff is all good quality, and they all put down about the same power. With that being said, I would go for a Thermal Stealth or Apexi WS.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:28 AM

Default Re: What kind of exhaust should I get? (KGAccord)

You could always remove the stock muffler like me--that's 20lbs lost
Old 01-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What kind of exhaust should I get? (KGAccord)

huh, don't focus on sound. that's about the only difference between the name brand exhuasts besides look. They all cost around $500 of course some are cheaper like the apexi ws, they all are within a few lbs of each other as far as weight is concerned, not like an extra 5lbs is gonna make a difference anyway, the name brand stuff is all good quality, and they all put down about the same power. With that being said, I would go for a Thermal Stealth or Apexi WS.
yea, sound is the thing to worry about... plus wouldn't you ratehr have a quieter one than one that would catch a cops ear from a mile away? with that said, I personally like the sound of the GReddy Evo, my brother's friend has it on his 96 VTEC, sounds beautiful for a 4-cylinder motor(more partial to the v8 sound), and that's what I plan on putting on my 95 VTEC(if I get it ) although mine will be a little louder due to the header, hopefully not too loud.. eitherway, just my thoughts.. GReddy Evo= in my book.. Thermal Stealth and Apexi WS are up there too
Old 01-14-2003, 02:39 PM

Default Re: What kind of exhaust should I get? (jcarothers)

i have a dual cannon dtm tzudo, deep and throaty. i can feel the vibration on the wall while i am on the can, reading autotrader mag.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:29 PM

Default Any more suggestions?

Hey thanks, guys for all your suggestions so far. I really appreciate it. But actually, like I said in my original message, I like a very low sound (but not loud) right when you step on the accelerator and the revs start to go up and when the revs start to get close to zero on the way down. Maybe I sould say I like to hear it between 0-2500rpms. I don't really want to hear too much of it beyond that because then I think it starts to get annoying. Call me conservative but I don't want to feel any walls vibrating or to set off any car alarms. I just want to hear it for myself. Nothing loud and showy, just low, personal and understated. Any ammended suggestions? I thank everyone in advance!
Old 01-14-2003, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Any more suggestions? (another_preluder)

then go with an Apexi world sport or Greddy SP............i have herd the w/s on a 2000 si sounded great............i herd the Greddy SP on a 95 accord sedan with an h22 swap it does like you want deep down low then it kinda melows out as the revs go up(although i didnt get to hear at full throttle with a CAI or a short ram v-tec should be louder than the exhaust )
Old 01-14-2003, 07:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Any more suggestions? (another_preluder)

Just stick to the stock setup, if your going to be that damn picky...
You will never find the type of exhaust, that you are trying to explain.
I have Greddy SP, and its loud as hell. And the same will go for any preformance exhaust. I dont get it, you want a preformance exhaust that has a deep tone from 0-2500 rpms then quiet. Not happening.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Any more suggestions? (Cottonwoodz)

your greddy sp is loud.............how......like i said i herd one on a h22 accord ...........sound great
Old 01-15-2003, 08:21 AM
ViZ
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Any more suggestions? (KiDwItHaReDlUdE98)

i have the 5sigen fireball catback, i love it .. its samller nice looking canister and tip.. very nice piping, and the tone is perfect.. its my 4th exhaust and its my last
Old 01-15-2003, 09:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Any more suggestions? (ViZ)

I dunno dude to me they're all pretty loud, the difference is what kind of sound they make. If it's going to be loud anyway, at least get something you can stand, or even better enjoy. My Mugen exhaust is by no means quiet, especially while in VTEC w/the cai screaming too, but it's a deep grunting howl instead of the over-excited broken hair dryer sound you unfortunately usually hear coming out of the back of a lot of Hondas.

I will admit, you are one of the only people I've ever seen looking for a quiet exhaust. Usually the question goes like this "Yeah yeah, usable hp, yeah, quality workmanship, yeah right, peak torque, whatever... but how loud is it dude?
Old 01-15-2003, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Any more suggestions? (heihachi)

whatever you use just make sure you use a resonator, that should keep the sound down and let the engine do the singing. another way to keep sound down is to watch the diameter of the piping you use, it usually translates to the bigger the piping the louder it is which means you would want to use a fairly large resonator. I have 2.5 in stainless piping with no resonator, yes its loud but doesnt really bother me unless i'm driving 3 hours. Don't forget that there is always the option to buy the muffler of your choice (use something with a smooth perforated core, none of that horsepower robbing ****) and get the piping bent up for you by a local reputable shop, it can end up being cheaper and making more power. good luck.

[Modified by -SevenFourThree-, 2:12 AM 1/16/2003]