Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which exhaust is best?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which exhaust is best?

hello, honda tech community. I have an eg with the stock d15 motor, and i wasnt planning on swapping it out anytime soon. I was just wondering, if i'm keeping the d15, which exhaust do you think would be best for it? Or rather, which exhaust WOULDN'T sound like a fartcan (if at all possible with a 1.5 liter)
Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Which exhaust is best?

Go to Youtube. Listen to sound clips. We get this question at least once a month.
You also might define what "best" is and establish a budget for recommendations.

If it were me I wouldn't waste a penny on something so slow. There is no benefit to any aftermarket exhaust you can buy.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ahhh okay i see...well i guess what i mean by best is something that doesnt sound like a fartcan. And i've listened to a few clips, but i've also heard that sometimes the video can make the sound different than it actually does. And on top of that, everyone has a 1.6 -___-

so rather than getting an aftermarket exhaust, what would you recommend doing to get a nice low little rumble sound out of my car?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If i was you i wouldn't put too much money into. No need to buy a $600 exhaust system. If you want a decent low/clean tone, i would just throw a magnaflow muffler on there. They are only $100 and great quality. Ran one on my s10(4-cyl) and it blew my mind.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh i see. so not even a full exhaust system, just a muffler? i thought about that but i wasn't sure how it'd work out. Thanks for the input! I think i just might!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:38 AM
The Grumpiest

Yonaka if your going low budget but want a full exhaust. That seems to be the general consensus.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:02 PM
pm4nudes

Custom straight 70mm Ti welded to a J's 70rr. Don't need no resonator on that mang. Racecarstatus. Or, you can just not get an exhaust and save your money. Sounds like a plan.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed. Don't get an exhaust & save the money
Old 01-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so if its not recommended to waste money on an exhaust, i have a couple hundred to spend, so what should i waste money on first? My car is basically stock so yeah lol
Old 01-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpamRiceandEG
so rather than getting an aftermarket exhaust, what would you recommend doing to get a nice low little rumble sound out of my car?
There are two ways to get a rumble sound.

1) High compression pistons + radical and unstreetable cams

2) Swap in a small block 350.

If you are purely doing this for noise, the best way to get a good sound out of a honda is by doing:

Header + Catalytic converter + Custom Exhaust with a resonator to a chambered muffler.

A header + cat + yonaka exhaust would probably be the cheapest bet and all in stainless.

You will not even remotely get a rumble sound out of a honda without some serious money.

Edit: How old are you? I bet you'd be better off buying some economics books.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:08 AM
The Grumpiest

Ok so if its not recommended to waste money on an exhaust, i have a couple hundred to spend, so what should i waste money on first? My car is basically stock so yeah lol
Keep it stock. You're not fast, nor are you furious. If it were me I'd concentrate on suspension first-and not any of that Chinese crap or Ebay garbage.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Libertariat
There are two ways to get a rumble sound.

1) High compression pistons + radical and unstreetable cams

2) Swap in a small block 350.

If you are purely doing this for noise, the best way to get a good sound out of a honda is by doing:

Header + Catalytic converter + Custom Exhaust with a resonator to a chambered muffler.

A header + cat + yonaka exhaust would probably be the cheapest bet and all in stainless.

You will not even remotely get a rumble sound out of a honda without some serious money.

Edit: How old are you? I bet you'd be better off buying some economics books.

Oh im 15. Im talking about the game forza. Wait are you talking about real cars? Oops. Trololol

And ohhh econ books contain car advice from a huge ******** too? Silly me, i was sitting here looking for advice from you when i could have reffered to a book for advice from a pompous ******* lol
Old 01-29-2012, 10:24 AM
The Grumpiest

Oh im 15. Im talking about the game forza. Wait are you talking about real cars? Oops. Trololol

And ohhh econ books contain car advice from a huge ******** too? Silly me, i was sitting here looking for advice from you when i could have reffered to a book for advice from a pompous ******* lol
Way to get yourself banned. Take your question to Youtube and listen to some sound clips. No one can tell you in words how something sounds. That whole concept is subjective.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-29-2012, 10:36 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, econ books would teach you a thing or two about frugality. Hence why I would further suggest that with only a few hundred dollars to spend you might as well flush it down the toilet.

And only Krugman is a pompous *******.

Again, many of us have been down this road before. This is why we harp so much on doing things right the first time.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Libertariat

Again, many of us have been down this road before. This is why we harp so much on doing things right the first time.
Right and i understand that, and i appreciate your advice, but i dont think that the hint of "stick up my ***" in your post was entirely necessary, although ,once again, i do appreciate your words of advice.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Save your money, if you need to replace the exhaust because it's rusted, plenty of people are modifying their cars and selling their stock parts. Used stock parts are cheap and plentiful, this is why having a Civic for a daily driver is great. Enjoy the low cost of ownership and good gas mileage.