Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

VTEC transmission reassembly problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTEC transmission reassembly problem

We are working on a 97 vtec transmission. We have gotten all the way to sliding the case half on the other half over top the gearsets. The problem is that it wil not seat all the way together.

We have parts of the honda manual that list assembly steps and we have everything it says in order. It will slide on all the way but leave about an 1/8th inch from touching. We trying just screwing it down but cracked the case, so there is something seriously not letting it seat all the way down. The top countershaft bearing that needs the snap ring isn't even butted up against it yet.

We're stumped. Theres no obvious markings on either side of the case that would indicate something touching/binding. Are there any tricks we dont know about mating these 2 pieces. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: VTEC transmission reassembly problem (gearhead313)

wow u cracked the case? Well I recently changed my gearbox housing on my 2000 lude because it was cracked and reassembly was very tidious. We had to wiggle it around to get it in, at first it wouldn't close the last 1/8 inch like u described so we loooked on the inside and it seemed to be getting stuck on the reverse idler gear, then we jiggled the gear shafts a littlel and they seated in properly and the case just when on without any problems.

make sure ur gear shafts are all the way seated.