Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

relocating 4WS computer 4 rear upper strut bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default relocating 4WS computer 4 rear upper strut bar

I recently got a Rear Upper Strut Bar but the 4ws computer is in the way. I was wondering if anyone has relocated the computer or changed the position of the unit.

Looking at the rear of the back set there are additional mounting holes, I would have to remove the rear left seat to get to the computer. I'm afraid that these 4 holes many not be enough to support the computer. The car is currently undergoing some work on the break system and suspension. The car will be lowered with the help of H&R race springs and tokico shocks. This will also make it a more bumpy ride.

Old 05-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what kind of bar did you get?
cheap or expensive?

if you got a cheap bar...
cut the brackets off the mounting plate and weld it on another spot to clear the 4ws unit

i wouldnt be touching that thing if i were you...theyre pretty sensitive as is...
Old 05-09-2006, 12:08 AM

i wouldnt want to move it in mine either.
but if i had to i would fasten it to the bottom of the trunk floor. there is a little ledge there that you could probably make some sort of box for if you wanted to do it right.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:58 AM

Default Re: (Not_Rice4ws)

hey guys, i put a rear strut bar on my car, and i mounted my computer on the trunk floor to a piece of wood, and put 2 ground straps on it. HOWEVER, my 4ws light is on and i wasnt as mechanically inclined when i did this as i am now, so i will prob take my 4ws computer apart and check all the relays for damage or bad soldering. from my experience, i would leave the computer there and send the bar back, its not that worth it anyways, i was ganna take mine out to put subs in too, another bad idea. if u must take it out, be extremely careful, make sure ur light isnt on, then mount it and see if u can get it to work without the light coming on, let me know. aight later

braden b.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (bburtonsk8r2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bburtonsk8r2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from my experience, i would leave the computer there and send the bar back, its not that worth it anyways
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very true! A strut bar is totally not worth it...it won't even make a difference and it'll cause you headaches trying to move that computer around.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:15 AM

Have you tied removing the steel cage, I know someone whos done this and his strut brace fit straight on.

Less drastic than relocating it totally.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Re: (popo bawa)

hey guys, i have good news, my 4ws started working yesterday, its freakin awesome, i mounted my computer in the trunk floor, i think the ground was just bad, but i bet if ur careful enough and u ground it properly it will work, mine does.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: relocating 4WS computer 4 rear upper strut bar (tintin11)

Rear strut tower bar is worthless. It's rice IMO
Old 05-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: relocating 4WS computer 4 rear upper strut bar (AndyD)

it can't hurt
Old 05-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: relocating 4WS computer 4 rear upper strut bar (soundbomber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by soundbomber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it can't hurt</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL It certainly can hurt. It can rip the shock towers.

Besides, the dude doesn't track his car. Track parts on a daily driver that never sees the track= rice.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: relocating 4WS computer 4 rear upper strut bar (AndyD)

i'm not going to get into a big pissing match over this, but i've never seen a strut bar rip a shock tower...swaybars ripping out, yes. strut bars, no. and i'm sure that the hinges of the strut bar will tear out long before the shock tower does.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes sway bars are the notorious one that tear ****
strut bars????
never heard of that happening unless it was done wrong.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: (VtecFreePrelude)

u must be drivin pretty hard for it to rip ur shock tower, however i will add taht if u dont make the brace tight, where it actually spreads the shock towers out a lilttle bit, its not going to help u at all really, it needs to have tension on it to create a stiffer chassis.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: relocating 4WS computer 4 rear upper strut bar (soundbomber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by soundbomber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm not going to get into a big pissing match over this, but i've never seen a strut bar rip a shock tower...swaybars ripping out, yes. strut bars, no. and i'm sure that the hinges of the strut bar will tear out long before the shock tower does.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A swaybar ripping out...a part of a frame rail?
Old 05-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bburtonsk8r2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bburtonsk8r2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> however i will add taht if u dont make the brace tight, where it actually spreads the shock towers out a lilttle bit, its not going to help u at all really, it needs to have tension on it to create a stiffer chassis.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wait a minute, wait a minute... can we get clarity on this? tanabe says something similar on their website (in addition to saying that you should mount them with the tires in the air) - however they did not mention which way the tension goes... I assumed inwards ---&gt; &lt;---, and clarified with them via email that this thinking was correct... are you saying the tension should be outwards? &lt;--- ---&gt;. In any case i'm referring to a front not rear strut bar... can anyone clarify further on this?

Old 05-26-2006, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Altilude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Altilude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wait a minute, wait a minute... can we get clarity on this? tanabe says something similar on their website (in addition to saying that you should mount them with the tires in the air) - however they did not mention which way the tension goes... I assumed inwards ---&gt; &lt;---, and clarified with them via email that this thinking was correct... are you saying the tension should be outwards? &lt;--- ---&gt;. In any case i'm referring to a front not rear strut bar... can anyone clarify further on this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

tho im not 100% sure it seems youd want tension outwards because under hard cornering your chassis would want to flex inwards. (my best guess, correct me if im wrong)
Old 05-27-2006, 09:36 AM

Default Re: (Altilude)

i mean, u dont want to push ur shock towers out to spread ur quarters and make positive camber, haha. u want to have tension on the bar, otherwise it is pointless. if u can use the bar to bring them together, that shouldnt be a problem, from my experience and correct me if im wrong, inward or outward, there just needs to be tension, it is usually easier to spread them with the tie bars.