Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

the OFFICIAL TURBO Prelude thread!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: the OFFICIAL TURBO Prelude thread!!!

Originally Posted by street_ride14
its rebuilt, h23-VTEC. Internally stock with ARP rod bolts, and balance shaft delete. I've got a second h22 block that I will iron sleeve, that will be my track car. This current build is daily driven.
did you use a thicker head gasket or stock thickness ?
Old 04-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used an OEM headgasket, 3-layered, stock thickness. No need for thicker.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just cut and paste from the forsale thread lol
$8,000

Located Nashua NH

Im selling my 2001 Turbo prelude. Im selling it because i feel my car is complete and want to start a new project. Its painted by me and my buddy at a professional shop in Merrimack (King Street Autobody). A new windshield was put in during this time. The motor was built by J&J Machine shop in Ridgecrest CA. The car was tuned at trick engineering. I take extreme care of this car and its well maintained. The frame has 102xxx miles and the motor has about 15K. The turbo was replaced last summer and still have receipt. maybe 2k on turbo. I don't drive it during winter only on nice days. Every fluid in this car is fully synthetic (brake,clutch,oil ect)

This is what I think the car needs:
2 STICKY front tires-Tires are still good but it can be hard to hook.
Oil pan gasket.
Another fan or a shroud on the on thats in there. Gets a little warmer then i would like.

Quick specs:

2001 turbo prelude
garret t3/t4 60 .63 (at 18psi)
3in Downpipe with 3in exhaust
wiseco 8.5.1 pistons
eagle H beam rods
Hondata s300
750cc Fuel Injectors
bottom end all ARP
Different sleeves then stock
Stock head
ported and polish IM.
custom 2.5 in IC piping
Custom Intercooler
apexi blow off valve
tial wastegate
ACT 6 Puck Unsprung
Lighten flywheel

There more part just cant remember them all

Interior:
red Sparco Racing seat
Sparco harness
All autometer phantom gauges (oil,water,boost)
Greddy turbo timer

SUSPENSION:
KYB adjustable shocks
kunk 2 Adjustable springs

The car was painted lapis blue (Porsche color)

I cant think of anything else at the top of my head. I have about 30k including the car invested in this. Ive built and sold many of my projects. The car on KBB list for $7,700

http://www.kbb.com/kbb/UsedCars/PricingReport.aspx?YearId=2001&Mileage=102100&Vehi cleClass=UsedCar&ManufacturerId=18&ModelId=395&Pri ceType=Private+Party&VehicleId=4414&SelectionHisto ry=4414|32734|03060|0|0|171815|true|171887|true|17 1895|true&Condition=Excellent&QuizConditions=

Im only asking $3,00 over book value. The paint job alone would have ran close to $4,000.

I do have a bunch of parts that go with this car. Everything I have for this car goes with the car.

I have put a stock hood on an removed the CF one..looks way better to me.

I am not hurting for money so dumb offers.

sorry i dont have better pictures..I dont even have a good one of the motor. ill upload more pictures soon.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do think it running rich or just right according to the dyno? I think my log is restricting big time. ive seen people make way more then 350 at 18psi for tht turbo
Old 04-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Getting the prelude tuned today for a race we have this afternoon... planning to dyno around 550 depending on how much time we have. I dynoed 509 whp with a stock ignition (misfiring... we were only able to make one pull w/o it misfiring enough to get a graph) also a new head... bought from a friend fully built. now spraying a 30 shot of nitrous to keep my turbo spooled up when I shift at the track. So keep your fingers crossed it makes it... My oil pump blew out Thursday, we had to replace that and the rod bearings and one main bearing closest to the clutch. We don't think anything else got messed up hopefully, but we will see how this dynoing goes!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DrivinVtec
do think it running rich or just right according to the dyno? I think my log is restricting big time. ive seen people make way more then 350 at 18psi for tht turbo
i made 330 whp and 320 wtq on a fully built h23 @14 psi
something is restricting that engine big time at 18 psi you should be around 500 whp or more, it looks like you have the same turbo i have turbonetics t3/t4 i doubt is the manifold my manifold is similar too.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jprelude92
something is restricting that engine big time at 18 psi you should be around 500 whp or more, it looks like you have the same turbo i have turbonetics t3/t4 i doubt is the manifold my manifold is similar too.
Im with you on that... back when i just had the sc61 and a log manifold I was around 350 whp at 12 psi. Thats a huge loss somewhere.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by girlyboostdlude
Im with you on that... back when i just had the sc61 and a log manifold I was around 350 whp at 12 psi. Thats a huge loss somewhere.
Motor is healthy. did a compression check on it the other day. i am at 8.5.1. would that matter much? if you look at the air fuel chart at the bottom of the chart..isnt that pretty rich? Im not sure where it should be.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got rid of that turbo because it dies on my. I have garrett now same size. t3 t4 60 .63

My exhaust is sorta janky.

I have 3in no mandrel bent with 2 resignations and a flowmaster (not straight threw). I wanted it quite. <----Would that be culprit on why less power?
Old 04-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Motor is healthy. did a compression check on it the other day. i am at 8.5.1. would that matter much? if you look at the air fuel chart at the bottom of the chart..isnt that pretty rich? Im not sure where it should be.
Thats pretty low compression for an H22... what pistons do you have? I am at 9.1 with CP pistons. I am not sure if that would be the reason for that much of a loss but of course you will have a small loss in power compared to me for having lower compression pistons.

I got rid of that turbo because it dies on my. I have garrett now same size. t3 t4 60 .63

My exhaust is sorta janky.

I have 3in no mandrel bent with 2 resignations and a flowmaster (not straight threw). I wanted it quite. <----Would that be culprit on why less power?
This too could be something that it has to do with. Who is your tuner?
Old 04-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by girlyboostdlude
Thats pretty low compression for an H22... what pistons do you have? I am at 9.1 with CP pistons. I am not sure if that would be the reason for that much of a loss but of course you will have a small loss in power compared to me for having lower compression pistons.

This too could be something that it has to do with. Who is your tuner?
I have wiseco 8.5.1 in there.

As for my tuner, I went to kinetic motor sports in hampstead NH.

I think the exhaust has to be the key factor in this
Old 04-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you think your exhaust is the problem then get it tune open down pipe and see what happens. what air fuel are you running?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey.. ok so i put my turbo setup on my 97 lude and when i started it the ex cam gear went all the way nagative? and the bolts where tight i checked befor starting any idea why it did that??
Old 04-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you think your exhaust is the problem then get it tune open down pipe and see what happens. what air fuel are you running?
All I have is the dyno chart above. isnt the A/F at the bottom?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

at the botton thats RPMS and on the side to the right says airfuel and boost and i see 17.9 or something like that i hope thats boost cuz if its air fuel that would be wayyyyy to lean
Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

at the botton thats RPMS and on the side to the right says airfuel and boost and i see 17.9 or something like that i hope thats boost cuz if its air fuel that would be wayyyyy to lean
oh...good call..that is boost. lol

idk whats the af was. Ill have to go down there and have him print it out.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey.. ok so i put my turbo on my car and when i drove it, it wont build boost and the turbo shaft spins at first but when i let of the gas and i gets to ideal the shafts stops any ideas? you can spin the shaft freely when the car is off i really need help guys
Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What you have for exhaust? Sounds small.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by perludedude270
hey.. ok so i put my turbo on my car and when i drove it, it wont build boost and the turbo shaft spins at first but when i let of the gas and i gets to ideal the shafts stops any ideas? you can spin the shaft freely when the car is off i really need help guys
Hey man i had the same problem it turned out to be the amount of oil comming from my feed line was too much for the turbo. i put in a restrictor that had only a tiny pin hole for the oil to pass through and everything was fine after that.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any preludes reppin the Boosted F22A! or any F-serious motor lol extremley underestimated but id like to see yalls set-ups possibly swapping mine to an f22b sohc non-vtec but heard the f22a's heads flow better then a polished b-series head but i should be boosted in the next 3 months stock internals except bisi 1.2 cam and expecting 290-300 whp
Old 06-01-2010, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jon9116
hey guys, first post on here in a long time.. well heres a little inspiration.. even though she isn't running right now... whole other story..

car and numbers are lookin good man, get that car back on the rode asap lol
Old 06-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey im new to the site and im looking to get something usefull im building a h22a4 it has benson sleeves in it and it has a stand bore size of 87mm at wut point would the sleeves be to worn and have to be rebord and resleeved if anyone has any info on this i would be greatful
thanks jon
Old 06-19-2010, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got back from Iraq and was looking forward to a lot of power gains this summer. Ordered a precision 6868 t3. New stainless exhaust manifold. My motor is built sleeved H23 9:1 cp. I got the new turbo in 3 days ago and was looking at it and found out precision neglected to put the nut on the end of the cool side of the turbine wheel. Obviously i need to get one on there before i run the turbo. Anyone have any clue on what kind of torque this nut should get?? I would love to get this car moving!!! Precision wants me to send it back to them so they can put it on and wont tell me the torque specs. IS this BS??!!
Old 06-19-2010, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Im happy to see another h23 gettin built. Keep us posted.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys, im new to the thread and I have a few questions if anybody wouldn't mind helpin me out.

I recently bought a 93 Prelude Si' w/ I/H/E. And I want to go FI, so im currently looking for suggestions on what to do FIRST and suggestions on which turbokits are both affordable and reliable. (I have searched through this site for hours to find answers)

Build the motor? What does that include? Forged pistons, etc?
After that, should I put together my own turbo setup (buying individual parts) or just buy a turbo-kit?
What is wrong with a turbo-kit that costs around 900-1200 bucks? (ex. ssautochrome) Please be specific, what is the kit lacking, should i buy the kit and replace the lacking parts..like the log style maniford or something. idk, im a noob.

I live in the DMV btw.

Quick Reply: the OFFICIAL TURBO Prelude thread!!!