Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

New timing belt.. Making noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New timing belt.. Making noise

I just replaced my timing belt and balance belt, and the cam seals on my 00 prelude witch i finually got to stop leaking.. all is good exept that there is a wine to the engine now almost like it has a supercharger on it or something, is that because the new belt needs to break in or what?. Also when i put the balance belt on are you suppose to push some pressure down on the tensioner so it gets the balance belt really tight, or(like what it says in the chilton book) just loosen the lock nut crank the engine one turn then tighten the lock bolt down, leaving the belt with a little play?
Thanks for any info.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Re: New timing belt.. Making noise (kevtec_00)

Squeels are usually over tightend belts, or my timing belt made some noise for about a week after the install.. give it some time, if it doesnt fix itself losen em to spec. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

perhaps the belt is on too tight? that usually cause it to give you the supercharged effect
Old 01-18-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: (Eddiebx)

it could simply be overtightened because it's new, and needs time to break itself in, but keep a close eye on it. before i got my prelude, i had an eclipse. i changed the belts with a friend of mine who i thought knew what he was doing. he didn't, and i sure didn't back then and we overtightened the belt. he told me the squealing would go away in time. it ended up costing a lot of money from squeezing too many parts and burning **** up. just keep an eye on it.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:21 AM

Ill make sure i will keep a eye on it.. When i put my balance belt on i lined up the front gear with the mark on the oil pump, but the back pully had a mark on it but i didnt know where to line it up with.. It says something about taking a bolt out of the side of the engine and make a mark or somthing to lineup??
Old 01-18-2005, 06:25 AM

also quick question. When i put the balance belt on it says to loosen the lock nut then crank the engine one revolution then tighten the bolt down. does that put enough tension on the balance belt, cause that could be my problem i actually pulled down on the tensioner with my hand really tight then tightened the bolt down, probuley got it to tight, could that be why i have a wine like a supercharger?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kevtec_00)

I have an h22a in my 95 lude, and it makes this whine as well, its a new belt, got like 3k miles on it, however I'm using the auto tensioner, I wouldn't think there was much I could "loosen" to spec with that setup. Mine only seems to do it when the RPM's dip real like below 1k
Old 01-18-2005, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You have too much tension on the belt, which will wear the bearings on your pump and cause it to prematurely wear as well and the tensioner/idler pully bearings.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FRISBEE)

how do I go about loosining it up?
Old 01-18-2005, 08:24 AM

Since i know that it's the balance belt i tightened up too tight can a simply loosen the lock nut that sticks out of the side case a little then crank the engine one turn, then retighten.. Will this put enough tension on the belt? Thats pretty much what it says to do in the book, doesnt say you have to push down on the tensioner..
Old 01-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: New timing belt.. Making noise (kevtec_00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kevtec_00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just replaced my timing belt and balance belt, and the cam seals on my 00 prelude witch i finually got to stop leaking.. all is good exept that there is a wine to the engine now almost like it has a supercharger on it or something, is that because the new belt needs to break in or what?. Also when i put the balance belt on are you suppose to push some pressure down on the tensioner so it gets the balance belt really tight, or(like what it says in the chilton book) just loosen the lock nut crank the engine one turn then tighten the lock bolt down, leaving the belt with a little play?
Thanks for any info.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you shouldn't give the belt any tension, let the springs do it for you, also make sure the power steering and a/c belt is not too tight.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kevtec_00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since i know that it's the balance belt i tightened up too tight can a simply loosen the lock nut that sticks out of the side case a little then crank the engine one turn, then retighten.. Will this put enough tension on the belt? Thats pretty much what it says to do in the book, doesnt say you have to push down on the tensioner..</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you think its the balancer shaft belt, then just losen the locking bolt and give the engine on turn over by watching the arrows on the cams, then just retorque the nut
Old 01-18-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: New timing belt.. Making noise (prelittlelude)

I know one of the belts i got from Autozone one day was 5mm to small.. altho it was in there computer for my exact car, I had to step up 5mm. If nothing will fix it and its obvious the belt is to tight, you can always get a belt the next size up... say the number for the belt is 4400.. well then youd look for 4405. or whatever.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:45 PM

thanks for all the advice.. Went ahead and loosened the lock bolt and cranked the engine over one time, fixed the wine.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (kevtec_00)

When I put on a new balancer belt it sounded like a supercharger...especially with the lower cover off...then I cut it off..