Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

need help solving shifting problems (searched a ton already)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help solving shifting problems (searched a ton already)

this started about two days ago. i was coming back from my friends house and i went to shift into 3rd , but it took extra effort to get it into gear. i put it into neutral, then tried shifting into 3rd again. same response. i could get it into gear, but it was really hard. the wierd thing was, it didn't grind at all. it went into gear, but need twice the effort at least. The same thing happened to all the gears. they all needed more effort, but none grinded.

i checked the clutch fluid level (it was good, and i had flushed it a couple of months ago), i checked the transmission fluid(also good and had changed in last 6months with Honda MTL) and i checked up near the clutch pedal to see if the master cylinder was leaking. it did not appear to be either inside the car or in the engine compartment.

now today i started the lude up and i could shift into gear fine while i was parked, using the clutch. no extra effort needed. and i put it into 4th gear with the ebrake up, and left out the clutch without any gas. the engine stalled each time i did it.
when i took it around the block, the shifting was hard again. it wouldn't let me downshift from 40mph in 4th gear into 2nd gear, and i had to slow down to almost 30mph to get it into 3rd gear.

please help me out, i already ordered a exedy clutch replacment kit, but now im not sure if it really is the clutch or not.
and im sorry for the really really long explaination; i just didn't want to leave any thing important out.

thanks

Old 06-29-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: need help solving shifting problems (CliffBurton)

bump anyone had any similar problems??
Old 06-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help solving shifting problems (CliffBurton)

Check to make sure your clutch fluid hoses aren't clogged...I had a similar issue where my hoses somehow got clogged, so there wasn't any fluid going into the tranny for me to shift, and it would take extra effort. Eventually caused my clutch to fail, requiring me to replace the damn thing. I'd replace the hoses, re-top off the clutch fluid, and see if that'll help.
Old 06-29-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: need help solving shifting problems (Southpark)

i had a friends drive my car with me in it today, and im now convinced that it IS NOt the clutch. it freerevs fine, the clutch dissengages the transmission while driving (like it is supposed to) and i put it into 4th while standing still with the ebrake and let out the clutch. it died right away.

so is there any chance it is a shift cable? or is it bushings im going to honda tommorrow to get replacment bushings.

that is a good idea about the clutch hoses, i think i will also replace those. thanks