Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

installed brand new clutch. dosn't work! WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed brand new clutch. dosn't work! WTF?

im working on a 89 prelude. i was provided a new pressure plate, 6 puck friction plate, and a new throw out bearing. the car came in because the old clutch had came apart on the flywheel side. person who owns the car said they had no shifting problems at all before the clutch messed up.
so, i took the tranny out of the car, took the old pressure plate and disk off, threw it away after comparing them to the new ones. then threw the old throw bearing away, after comparing it to the new one. i had the flywheel resurfaced.
i put everything on to spec. torque. making sure the disk was nice and centered up using a clutch aligament tool. jacked the tranny back up, slid it back in (slid in very easy!) tightend all the bolts put EVERYTHING back together. i crunk up the car. tried to put it in 1st and NOTHING! it wont go in any gear!!!
i bleed the slave cylinder. i even tried prying on the arm that pushes the throw out bearing in. still nothing!
i talked to a transmission guy about my problem. he said "when they resurfaced the flywheel, did they do it to spec?" evidently its supposed have a certain amount of step down between the sufaces where the friction disk contacts and where the pressure plate bolts to. i dont know that spec on how much its supposed to be. i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the clutch fork is now fully getting depressed when you push the pedal down?

If it won't shift after that, you have a major problem with the setup in there.

I think your problem is hydraulic, with the clutch system, but it *could* be the clutch and flywheel setup....try bleeding again and make sure the thing is really depressing the fork fully.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It shifts with the engine not running, correct?
Old 10-03-2007, 07:19 AM

Default Re: installed brand new clutch. dosn't work! WTF? (92integra-R)

How does it feel when you try to put it in gear? Tha tranny it self may be gone.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installed brand new clutch. dosn't work! WTF? (coolicedragon)

i took it all back apart. everything looked good, except the step-up on the flywheel was a little un even. so i had it resurfaced again. put it all back together, and still wasdoing the same thing, tried re-bleeding the slave. still same thing!!
finally went to parts store got new slave cylinder, bleed it. and presto it was working good!
another lesson learned!! never take a customers word on how new or good parts are. this kid that owns the car said the slave was "not that old"
i shoulda just went with my gut and changed that first!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installed brand new clutch. dosn't work! WTF? (92integra-R)

Well first off you should have mic'd the flywheel to make sure you still have room to cut before you hitting min machining. Idk if your machine shop takes care of that or what but personally i like to know where its at so i can inform the costumer about it.

Was it going into gear fine without the car being on ? Also to save yourself all the trouble you should have just looked to see if the shift fork was moving and moving freely like stock when you depressed the clutch.