Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

H23 AT Hesitation/Smoke *Searched*

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H23 AT Hesitation/Smoke *Searched*

Ok, so it's a familiar topic but the searching system on H-T sucks and I tried for 30 mins with no luck.

On a cold start, the car turns over just fine, but on the 4th or 5th crank the car sparks about half way through the turn and sort of hesitates, then idles at 1,500 RPM for 1-2 minutes (after which it drops to 750ish so I'm not touching my idle valve), or until I put it into R or D4 where it idles normally.

I think this is the main relay, but I can't find the link to fix it? That would help bundles.

Also, when I drive the car somewhat hard after start up I get tons of smoke (whitish grayish) coming out of the sides of the hood and through the vents on just fan, no heat or AC. It goes away when the temp warms up and so does my hesitation problem.

Any ideas?
Old 09-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H23 AT Hesitation/Smoke *Searched* (Attaus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Attaus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Also, when I drive the car somewhat hard after start up I get tons of smoke (whitish grayish) coming out of the sides of the hood and through the vents on just fan, no heat or AC. It goes away when the temp warms up and so does my hesitation problem.

Any ideas?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not a good sign, kinda sounds like u might have a coolant leak somewhere, whitish smoke means coolant, if ur main relay was going out it would cut fuel and not spark. So ur saying u got smoke coming out of ur vents? I would check for a coolant leak somewhere. Also check ur radiator fluid level. What year is ur lude?
Old 09-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Coolant is low, but the car has been low before and never smoked.

Of course it leaks coolant, it's a 4G in Texas. Its a '94 Si AT.

Yes, when the car smokes (usually at a stop after semi-hard driving -- temp is fine) and my fan is on it blows the smoke inside.

I went up to Advance to get coolant but forgot my wallet.. *doh*.. will try to get some and see if that helps. I doubt it will..

Keep the suggestions comin'..

Modified by Attaus at 9:12 PM 9/25/2006

Modified by Attaus at 9:13 PM 9/25/2006
Old 09-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep.. I knew it.. all fluids are good and still smoke. I popped my hood when it was smoking and I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from. I think it might be the WD-40 cooking on my exhaust manifold from a while back when I removed it. I guess the material just soaked it in and now smokes when it gets too hot?

I do not at this time have any smoke coming out of my exhaust.

Also.. I still have the idle problem. I'm going to get new plugs hopefully and see if that helps any but I think its my IACV.

Suggestions anyone?