Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

EGR control solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR control solenoid

Im sorry to keep buggin you people but I have a question, I searched and didnt find anything but back to the question. My engine keeps reading code 12 I payed 40bucks to honda and they said new manifold, I said there nuts and took my car back but it keeps reading code 12 and I here thats the egr control solenoid would yall happen to have a picture of where this part is at it would help alottt please.
Old 02-20-2005, 07:52 AM

Default Re: EGR control solenoid (93sleeper) EGR tests and procedures....

Ok...if you have an EGR code this it whats goin on... EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) is a form of Emissions control which will not (for the most part) affect how your car runs. EGR kicks in under certain conditions of driving ie. highway cruising which seems to be your issue. EGR is not meant to run during period of acceleration though. So what this sounds like to me is a stuck EGR valve! This means when you hammer down and the Check Engine Light comes on your Exhaust Gas is still being pumped into the cylinder taking up the space the air/fuel needs to burn. start by checking vaccum to the EGR from the manifold...then disconnect the vacuum from the egr and AT IDLE and connect a different vacuum line from the test port on the Throttle Plate side of the intake manifold and give that sucka some vacuum. The system should open and make the car stall out. If what I think is happening is right then your valve is getting opened at crusing speeds and then wont shut when you lead foot it. So restart the car with the original vacuum line connected and see if itll start easily or if it seems like the valve is still open.... from there buy a DOVM and start testing your EGR solonoids and EGR VSV good luck...gotta love them emissions.... Also EGR looks like a bigger version of a fuel pressure regulator sorta...the control solonoid will be wired to it through vacuum lines... not hard to find.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Re: EGR control solenoid (93sleeper) EGR tests and procedures.... (4.6LJeepXJ)

Or since your OBD1(guessing by your screen name), you could just block it off.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:49 AM

Default Re: EGR control solenoid (five-0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by five-0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or since your OBD1(guessing by your screen name), you could just block it off. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes, you can do that, however, you have to either remove your intake manifold or your head. Just buy a new egr valve or I can get you a used one. I read the same code and fixed it
Old 02-20-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: EGR control solenoid (maxvtec7500)

There would be no reason to remove the intake manifold or the head. Unless I'm mistaken....
Old 02-20-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: EGR control solenoid (five-0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by five-0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There would be no reason to remove the intake manifold or the head. Unless I'm mistaken....</TD></TR></TABLE>
YOu are mistaken. You have to be able to block off the port from cylinder #4 which is the cylinder that the egr runs off of.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EGR control solenoid (maxvtec7500)

You don't have to block it off fromt he manifold you can block it off at the egr... No need to make more work for yourself...
Old 02-20-2005, 06:23 PM

im sorry been at work all day, umm a old lady hit me and a old guy so its going to the shop and will be out by the end of the week. I have no idea on how to do tests on it or have any parts to do so. So should I have this looked at by some other shop instead of honda.

Modified by 93sleeper at 7:34 PM 2/20/2005
Old 02-20-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Re: EGR control solenoid (Sam1am26)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sam1am26 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You don't have to block it off fromt he manifold you can block it off at the egr... No need to make more work for yourself...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank you.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93sleeper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I have no idea on how to do tests on it or have any parts to do so. So should I have this looked at by some other shop instead of honda.Modified by 93sleeper at 7:34 PM 2/20/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

It depends on you man. You can do more research and educate yourself on the diagnostics/repair which will save money and improve the overall quality of your life. LOL. Or you can put money into someone elses pockets. I am all for learning to work on your own car, but that all depends on whether you consider your free time... free. Mine is.