Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Diagnosis from my blown motor.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 08:47 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosis from my blown motor.

Well, I have my engine back finally. The tensioner was tested several times, and came back ok. Mahdavi believes that I ran lean for some reason.

So I have a question.

We had used a heavier oil 15w30 since we had planned for the turbo to be on the car during the trip. But when the turbo seals went, we left everything on the car that went to the turbo, and just took off the manifold to put the DC header back on.

Could the oil had made a difference?

During the rally, the car was running very weak, and vtec was engaging later than normal (5500).

It was almost like the cars timing was retarded.

Any thoughts?

Could have AVCR have caused a problem since their was no turbo? It was hooked up to the ECU.

Thoughts please.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Diagnosis from my blown motor. (Lildrgn)

doubtful on the oil. Maybe a little more stress on the pump, but hell I've run 5w30, 5w40, 10w40, 15wWhatever... never a hickup. It would more likely be with the unit hooked to the ECU
Old 10-20-2003, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there a link to what happened at the Gumball?? I am curious what happened.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Diagnosis from my blown motor. (AndyD)

the VTEC oil pressure switch has a small screen over it, if anyhting had ogtten cought up in it over time, it is possible, the pressure wasnt reading properl at the VTEC solenoid, causing VTEC to engage late...

look at it this way, take peice of cloth (to simulate oil passages in you engine that could be slowed down) now, go pour regular 5w30 through the cloth and see how fast it goes through. then take a heaveier oil, 15w50 perhaps, and dump it through the same cloth (in a new spot though). now, look at the difference in flow speed.

now, if you had some buildup, or debris that was in your passages, it would slow the amount of flow of the thicker oil you were using.

one question though..... how did the water pump look?? if the water pump went out, it would cause excessive stress on the timing belt, thus causing it to break. that is what we think happend to my 93 Si.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:10 AM
New User

Default Re: Diagnosis from my blown motor. (Turbo Sam)

Water pump was looked at and appeared fine.

Maybe the fuel pump went out?

I dont know... just all the problems started happening after the failed Turbo Installation. Maybe a wire that was clipped for the AVCR was damaged and lost connection or something.

I dont know..

The timing belt didnt break. It was still in tact.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what ECU were you using and what kind of managment?
Old 10-20-2003, 11:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lildrgn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe the fuel pump went out?

</TD></TR></TABLE>
what indications do you have of that happening??

give as much info as you can so i wont have to ask for more details, i'm still on a 5 post a day limit
Old 10-20-2003, 11:25 AM

The delayed VTEC almost sounds like the problem I had with my car which was either oil related (long road trip, started getting low) or timing (my auto tensioner went out and the belt was really loose, retarding the timing I'm guessing).
Old 10-20-2003, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo Sam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

......... i'm still on a 5 post a day limit</TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn n00b's, lol
Old 10-20-2003, 12:01 PM
New User

Default Re: Diagnosis from my blown motor. (Kidd_Stylez)

ECU was stock P13. We had to take the p72 with the hondata off because the hondata was set for boost.

The autotensioner was tested and is good.

If i ran lean, I would not know why, other than the fuel pump. (was just a guess).

The injectors were tested and are good. So I am just out of ideas.

The injectors are 550's
Old 10-20-2003, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock p13 with 550cc's ???? hopefully you regulated that with a FPR or something because you would have washed down your cylinderwalls with fuel. (those are big injectors)

i read the post. what happened ? you leaned it out, so you melted pistons ? what ?
Old 10-20-2003, 12:45 PM

last post for the day.....

if i remember correctly, Todd told me the engine blew at like 120mph, right? and you had been doing it for long amount of time. well, it IS still possible the "good" tensioner gave out. since they are hydraulic, it is possbile that enough pressure was pressed against it that the tensior did give out momentarily

its like pushing in on a shock, at first its hard, but then after you keep pushing on it for a min, it gives in easier.

i cant remember all that happend, but i do think i recall that your valves did successfully fucked your pistons, only way that could have happened was if your timing belt snapped (you say it didnt) or if the belt jumped teeth. and the only way for the belt to jump teeth is if the tensioner gives out or there is some sort of added stress to the belt holding it back. but my guess is, if it had added stress, it would break before it jumped teeth.

i think just running high rpms for a long period of time is what did you in. too much pressure on the tensioner from the belt moving that fast, and at that RPM, it would take but just a split second of the tensioner getting weak for the belt to jump teeth, and screw your whole engine, which i think is waht happened, that doesnt mean its true, but thats my input on the whole sitiuation, HTH