Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problems

Off lately I have been having clutch problems in that when i push the pedal, it disengages, but it seems like it engages at a different point in the pedal travel, overall just feeling wierd. Also, sometimes when I am at a light, and its in neutral, i try to put it into 1st and it just wont go. It seems to be getting worse. It seems like its grabbing alright when engaged and going tho. Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2005, 04:26 PM

might be your clutch master cylinder
Old 06-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sylude)

fluid level is fine. anyway to test it?
Old 06-18-2005, 04:40 PM

check your tranny fluid level, sounds like you have a leak if its getting worse. topping off should help with the 1st gear problem. as for the clutch problem, does the pedal maintain the same pressure throughout its travel? if the pressure has the same feel the whole time, then its your clutch. if the pedal feels harder at different points, its your fluid.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BB6racer)

im not sure its tranny. Any of the experienced guys have thoughts on this?
Old 06-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vinuneuro)

May need to either check or change these out

-Check tranny fluid level
-Check Master Cyclinder
-Check Slave Cyclinder
Old 06-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Clutch Problems (vinuneuro)

You know what's weird, I think I have the same problem with my car. When you push the pedal down, put it in gear, then release the clutch, does the clutch engage SOONER than it normally does?? If so, I have the same problem. It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen. I have a difficulty getting the car in gear somethimes too.

Both of these problems have existed even when I had my H23 and H23 tranny. I have an H22 with H22 tranny and it does the same thing. Also, I have already changed the clutch master and slave cylinder, as well as the clutch. I have bled te whole system too when i did the swap, obviously, and it still does it.

I am not sure what's causing this. Like I said, it doesn't happen too often, but it does every once in a while. It hasn't happened in a while also.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Problems (AndyD)

exactly!! it engages SOONER. when it happens, the car jerks a little because I was expecting it to engage later. Its embarassing when someones in the car and it happens because it seems like i dont know how to drive stick.

-My tranny shifts smoothly
-My clutch fluid level is fine at the master cylinder

-How to check tranny fluid level? Just add until it comes out?
Old 06-19-2005, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Problems (vinuneuro)

Yup, that's the problem that I have. Like I said, I've changed the following and it has not resolved the problem:

Tranny
Fluid
Tranny fluid
Clutch, throwout bearing, and pressure plate.

Wait, it could be either the clutch master and slave cylinder. I changed them when I first got my car so they are the only thing that could be causing it. They are both approx. 2.5 years old and even when they were newer than that, my clutch engagement did the same thing.

If you are going to try changing something, try them. I have no idea what else it could be.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Problems (AndyD)

anything in the clutch lines maybe? Im almost positive its not the tranny's fault.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:29 AM

does this happen in every gear? only certain gears? only certain driving conditions? i'm having a hard time when it engages "sooner"? only thing missing on your list is the clutch fork, clutch fluid lines, amd the actual clutch pedal that your foot presses on.
Old 06-19-2005, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BB6racer)

well, of lately, it seems like the overall pedal travel distance itself is reduced. also at the top of the travel, theres some freeplay where the pedal just moves but doesnt do anything. There is a bolt to adjust for that right?

I feel like an idiot for wondering about this. I looked at the fluid level again, and now im wondering whether its at the max level or not. Which line on the cylinder is max?
Old 06-19-2005, 07:36 PM

Sounds like the problem I had before my NEW problem https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1276131

I had the same problem with my clutch about 1 yr before this new problem. I never found a fix for it but i did notice that when it doesn't want to go back into gear, if you let off the pedal a little and it'll go into gear.

I hope someone figures this out cause it may lead me to a solution to my problem.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ernestoG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ernestoG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like the problem I had before my NEW problem https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1276131

I had the same problem with my clutch about 1 yr before this new problem. I never found a fix for it but i did notice that when it doesn't want to go back into gear, if you let off the pedal a little and it'll go into gear.

I hope someone figures this out cause it may lead me to a solution to my problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHAHAHA. I have the same problem as your new problem. Sometimes my gear doesn't go in all the way. The way I can get it to go in gear is by letting the car move (if it is on a hill), or if I let out the clutch slowly. When I let it out slowly, it will get to a point RIGHT BEFORE the clutch engages. When it gets to the point...the qear lever will slip right into gear. As with the other issues, this existed with my H23 tranny as well as my H22.

It hasn't been an issue if I do the two things I listed above so I haven't worried about it.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AndyD)

I think my problem is similar to what you just described. the part about letting the car move is true for me also. I didnt completely follow the second part.

-It seems like the pedal is a little closer to the floor now
-What is the max mark on the master cylinder? sorry for the bad question.
-There is freeplay at the top of the pedal travel, can i adjust it?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

btw, when the car is still and i push the pedal i can hear a squeak? if the door or window is open, i can hear it even better. wuts the deal with that?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:23 PM

you cant adjust free play on a hydraulic system. the squeaking is probably your slave cylinder or fork which probably wont cause the problem. its probably ur master cylinder leaking. try sitting on level ground with it running, press the clutch down put it in first gear and hold it there for like 30 secs and see if the clutch starts to engage. if it does then its iether the master/slave or lines leaking. if you cant see any leaks on the lines or from the bell housing then its gotta be the master cylinder.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (brolli)

what might be causing the freeplay? it is on the borderline of excessive.

typically, what would cause the engagement and disengagement points to be different?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-20-2005, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vinuneuro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I didnt completely follow the second part.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is hard to explain. When it doesn't go in gear, I continue applying force on the shifter to go into gear. While I am still trying to push the shifter into gear, I let the clutch out slowly. It will get to a point RIGHT BEFORE the clutch engages. At this point, it will "open" the gate and let me slide it into gear.

You think it would start grinding the gear since it isn't in all the way....but it opens up and lets you slide it into gear. No grinding occurs. Like I said, it happened with my H23 and H22 tranny.

I wish I could take a video of what I am talking about to show you.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vinuneuro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> typically, what would cause the engagement and disengagement points to be different?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I understand the system as well as I THINK I do, it all dependent on the clutch fluid level and pressure. Those should be the ONLY two factors.

Are your clutch master and slave cylinders original?? Ever change them??
Old 06-20-2005, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AndyD)

I have the same problem as you andy...exactly as what you just said. No grinding either. For me, almost all the time, i have this problem with first gear when i am stopped and ready to get goin again. If you are having this problem with both trannies and no grinding, logic would suggest that its got to be clutch related.

-Im starting to think that maybe its time to try bleeding?
-Any ideas to the cause of pedal freeplay? Connected to this problem?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (brolli)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brolli &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try sitting on level ground with it running, press the clutch down put it in first gear and hold it there for like 30 secs and see if the clutch starts to engage. if it does then its iether the master/slave or lines leaking. if you cant see any leaks on the lines or from the bell housing then its gotta be the master cylinder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i tried the 30sec hold method. doesnt engage by itself.

-on another note, my pedal travel is a LOT more than other preludes iv driven. the distance from the top to the bottom is like 1.5-2X what it should be. Disengages towards the top of travel, engages towards the bottom. wierd.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vinuneuro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I have the same problem as you andy...exactly as what you just said. No grinding either. For me, almost all the time, i have this problem with first gear when i am stopped and ready to get goin again. If you are having this problem with both trannies and no grinding, logic would suggest that its got to be clutch related.

-Im starting to think that maybe its time to try bleeding?
-Any ideas to the cause of pedal freeplay? Connected to this problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, I am on a different clutch too. lol

Logic would tell me that it is something OUTSIDE of the tranny housing. Either the clutch master/slave cylinder or hydraulic lines. I have bleed the system 2 times since too.

As for your clutch pedal issue, I would suggest bleeding it too. Sounds like you have air in the system.

*NOTE* Bleeding the clutch system takes time, MANY pedal pumps, and you need a friend to assist.

Let us know how it does.