Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Help ! Is this a tranny or clutch problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ! Is this a tranny or clutch problem ?

I was driving yest. when all of a sudden it was hard to get the car in gear . Then all of a sudden I noticed when I pushed the clutch pedal down that it would go down really eaily then about half way down it would have preasure . But the clutch pedal would sometimes get stuck on the floor or take a while to get back in the regular position . Can someone tell me what they think the problem could be ? the clutch spring ? master cilinder ? tranny ? thanks
Old 08-02-2004, 07:56 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Help ! Is this a tranny or clutch problem ? (Drizzo)

go over the basics.. check fluids for leaks etc

sounds like your low on fluid or your slave cynider gave out and needs to be replaced..
Old 08-02-2004, 08:01 AM

yup refill fluid. bleed it. if your still losing it ur cylinder went out
Old 08-02-2004, 08:20 AM

Im gonna go check the fluid and see what the deal is . Thanks a lot for the suggestions .
Old 08-02-2004, 09:06 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (Drizzo)

Well the problem like already stated is your clutch reservior is empty, which is always a problem with me. I also might have to replace the cylinder but I also do need a clutch and that blah blah..
Old 08-02-2004, 10:21 AM
Electrician

Check your Clutch Master Cylinder for any leaks. Check inside the cabin where the clutch pedal is located. You'll see a "rod" go through the firewall inside this rubber "grommet". If there is a buildup of oil, it's your Clutch Master Cylinder. If not, look under your hood. Check resevoir for any leaks. Check ALL fittings and line going from Clutch Master Cylinder to the Slave Cylinder.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:10 AM

I was looking by the clutch pedal and the rod has some buildup of oil > The reservior was empty so i put some fuid in . IM about to bleed it out and see if it works. If there is some buildup on the rod and i put new fuid in and it holds presure is it a done deal or is it gonna be a quick fix that will keep on breaking until i change the Master Cylinder ? Is it easy to change the clutch master cylinder ?
Old 08-03-2004, 11:25 AM
a

change it i would and i have had the same problems just change it it would suck if u are takeing a girl out and u get stuck cant **** thee gears over a 50 dollar part or junk yard get a used one
Old 08-03-2004, 03:09 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (b16coupe4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16coupe4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">change it i would and i have had the same problems just change it it would suck if u are takeing a girl out and u get stuck cant **** thee gears over a 50 dollar part or junk yard get a used one </TD></TR></TABLE>

The girl part happened to me once. But I carry Brake Fluid around with me. And finally Dimi has the answer I need. Even though I may need new throw out bearings. But I've always had oil or crud build up near my clutch pedal and all it is, is the Clutch Master Cylinder. Also like already asked is this easy to fix?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:19 AM

I put new fluid and bleed it out and it is working fine now . If it messes up again im going to change the MC
Old 08-04-2004, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drizzo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I put new fluid and bleed it out and it is working fine now . If it messes up again im going to change the MC</TD></TR></TABLE>

glad to here it wasnt anything too serious
Old 08-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drizzo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I put new fluid and bleed it out and it is working fine now . If it messes up again im going to change the MC</TD></TR></TABLE>

It'll do it again. If it happened already, it'll do more and more after that. Sorry to burst your bubble. I lost count on how mnay times I bled mine.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

depends on how bad the leak is. Mine goes out about twice a year when i haven't driven it for a while. Bought some DOT3 brake fluid, fill up reservoir and pump clutch a few times. That keeps it going for a while.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Drizzo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was driving yest. when all of a sudden it was hard to get the car in gear . Then all of a sudden I noticed when I pushed the clutch pedal down that it would go down really eaily then about half way down it would have preasure . But the clutch pedal would sometimes get stuck on the floor or take a while to get back in the regular position . Can someone tell me what they think the problem could be ? the clutch spring ? master cilinder ? tranny ? thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

check for leaks around the slave cyliner, move the boot to get a better look, if there is a leak around there, R&R the slave cylinder.
follow along the clutch lines to the master, look for any leaks, where there is a leak R&R the default part.

doesnt sound like a big problem, but if you need a slave cylinder i have one for sale, PM me