Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 03:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 clicking noise

my prelude has a clicking noise when it is idleing but when i push in the clutch it stops what could it be?
Old 12-29-2009, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: clicking noise

throwout bearing is shot. its the one thats usually replaced each time you change a clutch since they do go bad over time, if your clutch is starting to go just change them both while you're at it.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by bb6_00
throwout bearing is shot. its the one thats usually replaced each time you change a clutch since they do go bad over time, if your clutch is starting to go just change them both while you're at it.
So if my clutch is still good can I just replace the bearing? If so about jow much do you think it would cost?
Old 12-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they can run fromv $40 to $60 for an oem one. and yes you can just replace the bearing.

from what ive learned you can replace the bearing alone if all other parts are good. but its when you change the clutch/pressure plate/ etc that you should always replace the bearing
Old 12-29-2009, 07:32 PM

thanks bro(:

do you recommend me getting it from the dealer?
Old 12-30-2009, 06:13 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Negative on going to the dealer. I'd pull the tranny off, inspect the clutch, if it isn't brand new or close to knew, I'd pick up a complete clutch set from Exedy for like $130 and change it all while you're in there. No point in removing the transmission to change the TOB and leaving an old clutch in there. If the clutch looks like it has a lot of life left, you can get the TOB at clutch shops for $20-$30.

I'd also suggest having someone more knowledgeable listen to your car to verify it is the throw out bearing because bad bearings don't usually make "clicking" noises.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm going to recommend getting a Honda part for the throwout/release bearing. I've had trouble with aftermarket versions (even the "good" ones). Get it from http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com for 43 + shipping. I've had other brands start chirping after 10K miles. It's very annoying when you have to take the transmission out a second time. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2009, 08:28 PM
GDD Member

Originally Posted by prion
I'm going to recommend getting a Honda part for the throwout/release bearing. I've had trouble with aftermarket versions (even the "good" ones). Get it from http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com for 43 + shipping. I've had other brands start chirping after 10K miles. It's very annoying when you have to take the transmission out a second time. Good luck!

You are aware that Honda doesn't make their own clutch components, right? OEM Clutches are Daikin/Exedy which is coincidentally, one of the two most common clutch component manufacturers available at parts stores.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had Daikin AND Exedy kits give problems with their included release bearings. I haven't had problems with the ones Honda sells.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:03 PM
GDD Member

Originally Posted by prion
I've had Daikin AND Exedy kits give problems with their included release bearings. I haven't had problems with the ones Honda sells.

Daikan AND Exedy are the same company.

Honda AND Daikin AND Exedy clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, and pilot bearings are also made by that same company.

Just an FYI.

So pretty much, you're saying that you've had problems with Honda AND Honda bearings, but not Honda bearings.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had problem with one T/O bearing and that was a non Honda version. Ever since I got the Honda T/O bearing, its been fine sine then. For some reason if you buy it from Honda, its like nothing can top that. T/O bearing that is.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slomofo
Daikan AND Exedy are the same company.

Honda AND Daikin AND Exedy clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, and pilot bearings are also made by that same company.

Just an FYI.

So pretty much, you're saying that you've had problems with Honda AND Honda bearings, but not Honda bearings.
I get what you are saying, but that is not what I am saying. I know Honda does not make the bearings they sell, and that they indeed might be the -very- same line of bearings packed in with clutches found elsewhere, but the evidence I have from experience with numerous clutch changes points towards the Honda distributed bearings as being superior.

I understand your position and appreciate that you may have had no trouble with any release bearing distributed outside Honda. The OP may find that 20$ is worth saving based on your input. He may find the same Fujikoshi bearing elsewhere for cheaper. He might use a Timkin or National brand. He will not, however, go wrong with getting one from Honda.