Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Blown tein shocks that were brand new???

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown tein shocks that were brand new???

Hi. I just installed a set of tein super streets on my car and i misplaced the strut fork at the tip instead of a little towards the middle of the shock absorber. I test droved it around the dampers worked great. The next day I gave the dampers a push with my body weight and it bounces up two-three times!! I took it to the shop and they fixed the misplacement of the strut fork and shock absorber, and they told me my shocks were blown. There is no way it could be blown because I didn't damage them during installation and there no leaks after I drove it around the first time. These were also brand new shocks so I don't understand how both fronts can just blow. Can it be defects of am i missing something?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:19 PM
MadCityLude

Default Re: Blown tein shocks that were brand new??? (phatsindabuildin)

Did you install the rubber spacers? Did you bottom them out?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Blown tein shocks that were brand new??? (MadCityLude)

You mean the rubber bushings? yea they were on. I didn't bottom out on them and that wouldn't be possible right because of how stiff they are? I might be wrong.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:47 PM
MadCityLude

If you had them lowered ALL the way it would be possible.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Blown tein shocks that were brand new??? (MadCityLude)

No before I had the strut fork and the shock absorber misplaced the car was really high (as in higher than stock) i couldn't understand why until the shop fixed it for me. But I figured out the shocks were blown when the car was high. Brand new teins are not supposed to fail regarding their background on high quality.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:49 PM
MadCityLude

I would contact whoever sold them to you. They should be willing to help you out since you did just buy them.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:40 AM

Yea that was my option. I just wanted to see if I was missing something or a way I could've blown the shocks prematurely. Thanks. Anyone with more input just let me know. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:31 AM
AnthonyG2003

even if you did blow them prematurely...there should be some kinda of warranty on them...how long ago did you buy them? all you have to do is tell them that you installed them, and then a mechanic shop told you that they were blown....and see if they will exchange with another pair.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:37 AM
RTFM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

are those adjustable? as in is it possible that they could be set to absolute minimum rebound damping?
Old 09-08-2006, 07:39 AM
MadCityLude

Default Re: (v4lu3s)

They are 16 way adjustables, but they will not adjust that low. I have the same set TEIN SS on my lude. Unless they were cranked-turned further than they were supposed to be. Then it may be possible I suppose.

Modified by MadCityLude at 2:07 PM 9/8/2006
Old 09-08-2006, 10:54 AM

Yes these are the 16-way adjustable tein super street suspension. I got these a month ago and did not get them installed until last week. Before that they were just sitting in its box. It was never touched. Now i did managed to break the front left damper adjuster (I was tighting the uppermount locknut and accidentily held on dampening adjuster with a plier which was stupid) but the shop told me that even if I did break it, the shocks shouldn't blow. The front right dampener adjuster doesn't even turn at all and I didn't even touch that after I did the left front. Now as the shop told me it shouldn't blow even if I break the dampener adjustment because he said it was only an extension. He also said that even if the dampener was loosened all the way it still shouldn't bounce 2-3 times. By the way the two back dampers are perfect. Any clues?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:10 AM
MadCityLude

I don't know man, IMO you prolly screwed em up somehow. TEIN is a very high end and reputable company. The fact that the rears are OK and its both fronts leads me to believe you did something to them. If it was just one - maybe a defect somehow, but both fronts. Try to contact TEIN and see what they say. But if I were you I would try and find a shop that will cover your *** and say they installed them for you.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tein may be a decent company, but those shocks they use for the SS/basic are utter ****.

if you installed the bumpstops, then i can't see how they'd blow out in a day. having the shock sit really high in the fork means that they have their travel reduced, but unless you did some some serious baja1000 pothole 4x4'ing i can't see any other reason than mfr defect.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:59 PM

i have the TEIN SS on my lude. IMO they're the best investment on my car. the instructions say not to adjust the damping past the recommended setting because the dampers can get damaged. is it possible that the setting were too low and the dampers got damaged.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:13 PM
MadCityLude

Default Re: (bad-monkey)

Yea, but 2 front shocks both blown - that's a little too coincidental IMO.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:21 AM

For some reason the manual stated only 16 way adjustables. My rears hit up to 26! But those two shocks are fine. There should be a stopping point so unless you really crank that bitch out then it could get damaged. But the front right damper I never touched so for some reason that's messed up. But yea two fronts are very coincedental yet I don't know how it I could be ABLE to blow high quality shocks without even knowing it.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:43 AM

Default Re: (MadCityLude)

Could be that the shops trying to make some money off of you. Midas tried to do that **** when i got my ac compresor instlled and needed to get it charged by them. They tried to tell me that the shop that installed it put the wrong one on and that my belt was all fucked up. I didnt see how this could have happened sence the guy that put it on works for a f1 team and had a prelude
Old 09-09-2006, 11:30 AM

Default Re: (BlueLude 94)

I say you send those front shocks back and get tein to give you new ones instead of blown onez.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by phatsindabuildin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">F I don't know how it I could be ABLE to blow high quality shocks without even knowing it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the thing. the SS dampers AREN'T high quality shocks.

just high quality stickers.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:32 PM

not to be a downer but when you buy tein basics you pay for a basic coil and a fancy sticker
Old 09-12-2006, 04:32 PM

Default Re: (vtec4lyfe)

thanks everyone