Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Auto 88 prelude si swap into 5 speed Civic lx

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 04:51 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto 88 prelude si swap into 5 speed Civic lx

Hi I'm getting ready to put a b20a5 swap from a automatic 1988 prelude si into my 1998 Honda Civic LX and I need help finding out what all parts I need to swap out & what parts do I swap them with.

I know I need a 5 speed transmission, b series shift linkage, new ecu...
  • Can I use any B20 transmission?
  • Can I use any B series shift linkage?
  • Can I use any B series ecu?
  • Will I need a new wire harness?
Is there anything else I would need besides those?
Old 10-21-2018, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Auto 88 prelude si swap into 5 speed Civic lx

I'm surprised nobody replied to this yet...

You can't swap the b20a5 into a civic. well, you can, but it would be all custom. nobody makes any swap kits for that motor, and no other b-series engine parts or transmissions will bolt to it.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That engine might fit in cb Accord chassis. Idk. But yeah man you need a b18b
Old 10-21-2018, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Jdm Chris
Hi I'm getting ready to put a b20a5 swap from a automatic 1988 prelude si into my 1998 Honda Civic LX and I need help finding out what all parts I need to swap out & what parts do I swap them with.

I know I need a 5 speed transmission, b series shift linkage, new ecu... (This is a great idea if you want to do something different... but a really difficult swap because the B20A has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in common with the modern B20B/Z CR-V engine... and thus, not easily transplanted into a '96-00 Civic chassis)
  • Can I use any B20 transmission? (NOPE. You would have to use the Prelude transmission or create a conversion plate.)
  • Can I use any B series shift linkage? (NOPE. You would have to use the Prelude shift components... unless you create a conversion plate and use a modern hydro transmission, in which you would modify the shift rods that work with the transmission you have chosen.)
  • Can I use any B series ecu? (NOPE. Again, the only ECU that runs the B20A correctly is the one that came in the Prelude... so you will have to use a conversion harness and the stock ECU or a modern ECU and a tuning solution. The one difficulty with the latter idea is a distributor that will bolt up to the engine and have modern style sensors inside.)Will I need a new wire harness? (Yes, you will have to modify the original cars engine harness to FIT your B20A... grafting in the plugs from the Prelude harness where needed.)
  • Is there anything else I would need besides those? (Isn't this enough so far ???)

I have offered some suggestions after each question you have posed. Custom engine mounts and axles will be needed, so you will have to understand how challenging this swap will be. Being different is expensive, time consuming and requires vast experience in fabrication. Since this swap is so uncommon, you will also likely be on your own because outside help will be very limited.

Remember that the B20A has a lot more in common with the F20B/H22A/H23A than the "D" or "B" series engines normally found in the 6th generation Civic.